Saving my pennies.... But is it worth it?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So, I've become far too accustomed to the Libre. I love the information it gives me. It has made a real change to my ability to manage my diabetes and I think it is likely to be singularly responsible for me moving by Hba1C to 6% instead of 7% whilst reducing my hypo levels (well maybe Levemir has helped with that too). So much that I'm clearly going to struggle even more to get myself a pump via the NHS... But that's a different issue.

The question then arises for me. How all in do I want to go on BGM? Am I willing to throw in the pennies that I have been squirrelling away to get myself an Apple Watch and Dexcom set-up?

I like the idea of fully CGM and it being on my wrist and more easily accessible. There are rumours of Dex and Roche playing together in the near future and as a pump seems a while off, would this be a sensible thing to do?

Or am I just looking for some technology to buy and using diabetes as an excuse for what seems like a cool set up?

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tim, Build yourself an xDrip.
It's not that difficult, though it's fiddly & you need to follow instructions carefully.
You can then see your bg on an Android phone or/and a Pebble watch.
Much cheaper than the Apple option unless you are already a user.
I'm treating it as an interesting experiment, so far it's working really well.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just realised you are using the Libre at the moment & not Dexcom.
Must learn to read one of these days.

Reactions: 2 people

FrankieAngels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Tim.

Relative newbie here just 3 weeks after diagnosis.

I too am a bit of a gadget geek and want to get my hands on the Libre or the Dexcom G4.

I feel these tools are exactly what I need to get on top of my T1D.

If you don't mind me asking, how are you funding the Libre and are you injecting or using a pump?

I like the looks of a Libre/Omnipod combination.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I MDI with the libre and pay out of my own pocket like the majority of users. Having had nearly a week without it, I do miss it. I'm also currently convincing my dsn to write an email to advanced therapeutics to be able to buy injection ports for use with MDI to reduce injections. I've been trialling with an infusion set, and it's a great way to inject.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people