Newcastle diet starting Monday, done it once who gonna join me on my journey??

johnnymac48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi geordie i am in week eight of 5/2 diet Royal Prince Alfred hospital is Sydney running it ive lost 12kg and sugar is down to 5.9 which is a big change from 15 16 and 19 i have bacon egg onion Caspian omelet for breakfast every day which fills me up and have stopped bread spuds and cakes although i fall off the wagon now and again but get back on it the next day when i eat white bread blood sugar will shoot up to 11 just shows what it will do to you they have dropped one of my diabex tabs because blood sugar was getting to low only got 4 weeks to go but i will be keeping carbs low from now on

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi geordie i am in week eight of 5/2 diet Royal Prince Alfred hospital is Sydney running it ive lost 12kg and sugar is down to 5.9 which is a big change from 15 16 and 19 i have bacon egg onion Caspian omelet for breakfast every day which fills me up and have stopped bread spuds and cakes although i fall off the wagon now and again but get back on it the next day when i eat white bread blood sugar will shoot up to 11 just shows what it will do to you they have dropped one of my diabex tabs because blood sugar was getting to low only got 4 weeks to go but i will be keeping carbs low from now on
5:2 diet is a form of fasting. Not quite as intense as ND, but has been known to give good results.

Well done to you, but please, have mercy. Those of us on ND are in the main avoiding bacon and eggs for the time being. Drooling!

Reactions: 2 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey guys week 2 today. Last night had a little extra vegetables as I had one shake less so all good. Sugars not going past 5.2 but that's my fasting figure which has almost been constant for a week. Not slipped into 4's very often on fasting. I have a very stressful job too and have been finding it really hard to explain what I am doing to my sort of lunch buddies, while they jump into there lunches I am at the park walking as quickly as I possibly can. Seems funny coz I am in a suit and formal shoes but can't do much about it. Overall pretty happy with weight loss of about 8.5 to 9 kilos.

Reactions: 4 people

squarebanana

hahaha i know what you mean about drooling! bacon and eggs OMG!

Had a hard day at work yesterday wrapping a van with vinyl graphics had 2 boiled eggs for breakfast (300cal) and a shake for lunch 200cal, carrot and rocket soup (delicious) for tea spent 7 hours on my feet, and when i got up this morning i hadn't lost anything but i think i'm retaining water a bit because i only had around 6 hours sleep and on and off the loo around 6 times a night, last night i only went twice. Plus the day before awake all night got up at 6am (18st 13lb) knackered took the wife to work, came home got in bed did another 2 hours and a couple of loo visits got up weighed myself again and 18st 10lb.

That's why i think its important to weigh your self when you get up as its more accurate.

Anyway today 2 more boiled eggs this morning, vegetable soup for lunch and cauli mash and quorn sausages for tea.

good luck everyone

Alan
SB

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the hardest part of the ND as per me is having to drink the shake which is sweet, really struggling with that to be honest, I already put more water in it than recommended and also putting coffee in shakes to take the sweet nip off it.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the hardest part of the ND as per me is having to drink the shake which is sweet, really struggling with that to be honest, I already put more water in it than recommended and also putting coffee in shakes to take the sweet nip off it.
@brettsza , what shakes are you using? You can get savoury ones. Soups And porridge. I am not fussy on the sweet ones, but there are some that are less sweet. I disguise the taste with coffee, cinnamon or nutmeg if I don't like them. I find hazelnut and vanilla seem less sweet. Also use the bars for an occasional meal. Dark chocolate bar from shake that weight is not too bad.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am using shake that weight. Problem is I have hated sugars in everything since beginning, so if I have anything sweet it will only be my tea, I cant have tea without sugar so I have completely stopped it for now as I cant really have milk either, can't take black tea no matter how, but can I have porridge? I thought I can't have anything except shakes and those vegetables mentioned, I just added an egg yesterday just to add more calories to just 500 to 600 I am having presently.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am using shake that weight. Problem is I have hated sugars in everything since beginning, so if I have anything sweet it will only be my tea, I cant have tea without sugar so I have completely stopped it for now as I cant really have milk either, can't take black tea no matter how, but can I have porridge? I thought I can't have anything except shakes and those vegetables mentioned, I just added an egg yesterday just to add more calories to just 500 to 600 I am having presently.

Shake that Weight do a porridge/ oatmeal. I have been having them in the morning as Mr Pipp has his porridge, just so it feels like a normal breakfast. Haven't thought of it before, but I will try to use one of those with a bit of curry powder to add to veg for variety. I hate sweet foods too.

Those Hairy Biker /Dieter blokes better watch out. We need to be innovative. I will report back after the curry experiment.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am making my veggies in curry format, well had salads first then baked and now curries, I just don't use any oils, its easy for me being from Indian origin

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am making my veggies in curry format, well had salads first then baked and now curries, I just don't use any oils, its easy for me being from Indian origin
Oh the shame of it! Me trying to tell you how to make a curry when I bet you could teach me.

Do include a little oil though to prevent gallstones.

We need to think of a way to make the meal replacements savoury. What about the Shake that Weight porridge / oatmeal as a base for a tomato sauce or salsa?

squarebanana

Made home made tomato soup tonight for tea, the weights the same as yesterday at 18st 13lb, but just weighed myself tonight after tea and taking dog for walk and 18st 12lb so by the time I morning weigh in comes hopefully I will have lost a couple of pounds more.

Really loving the cooking part and being innovative with foods that haven't a lot of calories, and I haven't been hungry once.

Reactions: 6 people

andycam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I did the ND about 18 months ago and lost over 40 lbs but have put most of it back on, after reading this thread think its time to start it again, so as of Monday its 8 weeks of shakes and soups

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @andycam is your blood sugar in control now? What are your figures like.
It's a big task to loose the weight again isn't it. ALL the very best

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Brettsza - Apologies for going over old ground here, but Whats your current BMI? I know you've stated it a million times, but I'm on my iPad at the moment, so searching is a bit tiresome.

The reason I ask is when you said about your heritage, I recalled certain groups being recommended slightly different BMI ranges, with Asian being such a group. If I recall correctly, the newer guidelines recommend the Healthy threshold for Asians is 23, so a bit lower than many others.

Obviously, it probably doesn't impact on your actions, bit might help salve the weight loss BMI thing, if you're nearer the top end.

Apologies if that's just all white noise to your world.