Background Retinopathy : any help please!

KELI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I'm fairly new to this forum although have had gestational diabetes twice and been type 2 diet controlled for 9 years now. Diabetes runs in my family (thanks mum)! I've just been told after my annual screening that I have background retinopathy. Is this reversible or is it just going to get worse? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

KELI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you noblehead. I shall take a look at your link. They have only said they will see me again next year as normal. I've gone from "slight changes" to background retinopathy in one year! It has freaked me out a bit. Thought I had good control...obviously not as good as I thought! :S

Reactions: 2 people

Caesar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @KELI

I’m sorry to hear about that. I’ve been blaming pharmaceutical companies rather than family genes for my diabetes. Diabetes knocked my door less than 3 months after I had my vaccine for hepatitis B done, which seems to have triggered the “wrong” autoimmune response of my body. Whatever the cause, this is life… life with diabetes and we should just look ahead to improve it as much as we can!

Unfortunately, development and progress of retinopathy are rather subjective in diabetic people. Despite the fact that bg control is the main player, related factors such as blood pressure, cholesterol, frequency of bg spikes, etc. as well as other less controllable factors such as hormonal responses and protein releases by the body have an influence on the retinal wellbeing. I’ve no traces of retinopathy yet but, as I was really afraid after 16 years of diabetes, I decided to give it a go to this new non-invasive device out there by PolyPhotonix: http://noctura.com. Sadly it’s not free on any NHS scheme yet but it’s affordable and I’m finally facing my eye screenings with no fear. Hope this helps.
Wish you all the best KELI!

Last edited by a moderator:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
To give you a slightly different take, I've been background retinopathic for the last 5 years. It comes and goes but hasn't progressed.

KD24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Keli
Don't worry, as long as you have your Diabetic eye checks done regularly then they will tell you if there is a problem.
I get BR on some tests but gone on the next test!

Been Type 2 for 20 years and only on 1000mg Metformin daily since then.

Good luck.:watching:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
[QUOTE="Caesar, post: 816381, member: 159607" I decided to give it a go to this new non-invasive device out there by PolyPhotonix: http://noctura.com. Sadly it’s not free on any NHS scheme yet but it’s affordable and I’m finally facing my eye screenings with no fear. Hope this helps.
Wish you all the best KELI![/QUOTE]

There's another member of the forum who is also trialling the Noctura mask, I'll tag them @himtoo for you as I'm sure he'll be interested in your progress.