Reactive Hypoglycemia

Balf2015

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I thought I would introduce myself as I am new to this forum.

In the last couple of weeks I've been getting very dizzy on a daily basis - it seems to happen just when I've just eaten lunch.

I had some blood tests and my doctor said that everything seemed fine and I had the opposite of Diabetes which he called 'Reactive Hypoglycemia'. This is the first time I've ever heard of it. He said that my body is too efficient at producing insulin that it gets rid of all the sugar and effectively gives me a 'dip' in sugar where I feel very dizzy and lethargic. I had never felt like this before and at first I was very worried about it and thought it was a virus, but it seems that becuase I have low blood pressure it's triggered these dizzy spells when I eat lunch.

I wanted to ask if anyone on this forum gets these symptoms and how do they manage it? I was told to start eating slow releasing energy foods to prevent me feeling dizzy.

I am a very sporty so I dont' want this to effect me too much so I can't do my exercise.

if anyone can provide me with more information that would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ems

Reactions: 2 people

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactive Hypoglycaemia is well documented even on this diabetic site, however if I'm honest with you, I have never encountered anyone responding to having Reactive Hypoglycaemia in the short time that they are actually eating a meal.
It would normally take a short time for the digestive process to start before their insulin then has time to deal with the sudden surge in their blood/glucose (usually 1 to 2 hours after eating/drinking)
You might need to conduct further research on what it is that you are actually eating/drinking to see if this can give the answer.
It might transpire that you are eating/drinking the wrong types of food items, in other words foods/drinks that have high Gi/GL responses in their own right, and are possible also loaded with an excess of refined sugar as would be the case with most non-diet drinks (Coca cola known to have the equivalent of 7-10 teaspoons of sugar per can)
This is a very interesting question that you have raised. please let us know what you find as the root cause.

Last edited by a moderator:

Balf2015

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
That;s really interesting as I've had it the last week or so and everytime I eat I suddenly get a real heaviness and dizziness which lasts only fo 5-10mins then goes, but it's a very strange feeling where my heart beats fast and I get very anxious. WhenI first got it they said I had a gstro virus as I got very bad stomach aches with it, but because it's continued they have sad it's 'reactive hypoglycemia'.

I wondered if you ever get a stomach ache or cramp when you get dizzy? I'm a pretty healthy eater so I always have soup / sweet potato and salad for lunch and never touch fizzy drinks or lots of sugary foods so it's a real mystery as to why I keep feeling like this.

Are there any other tests I can do? Or do you have anything further that it could be? I worried that I had an inflamed pancreas/intestine which was causing the stomach pain and dizziness.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That;s really interesting as I've had it the last week or so and everytime I eat I suddenly get a real heaviness and dizziness which lasts only fo 5-10mins then goes, but it's a very strange feeling where my heart beats fast and I get very anxious. WhenI first got it they said I had a gstro virus as I got very bad stomach aches with it, but because it's continued they have sad it's 'reactive hypoglycemia'.

I wondered if you ever get a stomach ache or cramp when you get dizzy? I'm a pretty healthy eater so I always have soup / sweet potato and salad for lunch and never touch fizzy drinks or lots of sugary foods so it's a real mystery as to why I keep feeling like this.

Are there any other tests I can do? Or do you have anything further that it could be? I worried that I had an inflamed pancreas/intestine which was causing the stomach pain and dizziness.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Hi, a high GI or carb or sugar anything would quickly spike me. I get real quick escalation of my blood glucose levels. I've had over 12mmols from normal fasting levels, within an hour. Then it slows down gradually, then I hypo.
I do go from hyper to hypo, within 4 hours.
That is why low carb is essential in controlling your RH condition.
If you don't give your glucose levels any reason to escalate you won't hypo.
That is what has helped me lead a 'normal' life and helped me lose weight and be free from them horrible symptoms. I am fitter than for a long time.
Sweet potato is full of carbs, I just stay away from anything like that.
The only tests that confirms diagnosis is fasting tests, prolonged OGGT and 72 hours fasting. They can only be done properly in a hospital.
If you have a hypo, eat a plain biscuit, then when you return to normal levels, have a very low carb small meal.
Anything else, please ask.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you look in 'Ask a question' forum. There is a long thread about RH.
And have a read about my journey to now in the blog 'A Reactionary'

That will help you understand more. @Balf2015.

Hope this helps.