Insurance

JimmyCassidy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I have critical illness cover on my life insurance policy. Wasn't sure if insurance companies would cover diabetes (type1) for serious illness but contacted them anyway and they sent me out a claim form.

Has anyone got a payout from their insurance due to type 1?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If you had cover policy before diagnosis of diabetes then normally payouts can be made.

I don't know about nowadays but previously critical
Illness for an established diabetic wasn't an option that insurance companies ever offered us...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I have critical illness cover on my life insurance policy. Wasn't sure if insurance companies would cover diabetes (type1) for serious illness but contacted them anyway and they sent me out a claim form.

Has anyone got a payout from their insurance due to type 1?

There are a few companies covering diabetes as a "condition", but the devil will be in the detail. You need to look at the policy wording. It may depend of a certain level of complications, or impairment, although racking by brain, I seem to recall someone doing diagnosis of T1, but it was at quite an advanced age, I think - in other words, wouldn't happen to many folks!

Which company is it?

Two things I will just say are:
- ensure you continue to pay your premiums throughout the claim process, unless you are specifically told otherwise by the company in writing
- if the policy is a joint one, say with your wife, please check if she will lose cover, should a claim be successful. If she would, then you should consider if she needs a new policy after your (successful) claim

Good luck with your claim. Payment of a decent sum assured can be life changing.

Reactions: 4 people

JimmyCassidy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's with pruprotect, I read somewhere they only pay out for type 1 diabetes on their premium cover, I only have primary cover, but my thinking is surely they wouldn't make me fill out a claim form and go to the bother of getting my consultant to fill out a report(which they are paying him £100 to do) unless they were intending to pay?? Would they not just tell me I don't qualify? Here's hoping, as you say could be a life changing sum, maybe would ease the burden of my diagnosis, it knocked me for six....went to the doctor with a migraine headache that I couldn't shake the day after my 30th birthday(not drink related btw) 2 weeks ago and walked out with a letter to report straight to my local A&E!! Hadn't been feeling great previous but thought it was just stress, has a lot going on at work and at home, never would have thought diabetes in a million years!!!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not overly familiar with the Pru products at all, never mind this one, but there are various documents online, giving information.

It looks like it is covered under the more comprehensive policy, which you don't think you have? Did you also realise they "only" pay 15% of the sum assured on diagnosis, so not the full amount?

I wouldn't get overly excited about then asking for a medical report. That is probably requested automatically, when a claim form is lodged. The people in the call centre, or on the help desk aren't usually empowered to make judgements on whether a form should be sent or not. If you call asking about a claim, they will send a form, so that you can then provide the correct information, in a formal way. These huge companies are incredibly inefficient at times, so don't build your hopes up too high. On the upside, it may be their polo to try to ensure they are not missing any other reason they should be honouring a claim by you - like for waiver of premium, or something. These days, it's much harder for life houses to quickly wash their hands of potential claims. There have been a few (very expensive) court cases in recent times.

See the process through, but don't go spending the money before anything is agreed!!

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

JimmyCassidy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just got a phone call saying because I took my policy out in 2010 Im not entitled to claim, they only cover diabetes post 2014.
Was worth a shot!!