Beetroot

grantpou2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have type 2. Beetroot is considered by some to be a super food with heaps of benefits. I have recently started having it for breakfast mixed with Khale in my nutribullet. My blood sugar levels after 2hrs constantly sit around 8 - 8.9, is this safe or OK? My lunch and dinner meal levels are good.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
It's not too bad but better you remain under 7.8. 8.9 is a little on the high side

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
Beetroot is indeed a wondrous food, but also quite high in sugar.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh
Bother

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
It's not too bad but better you remain under 7.8. 8.9 is a little on the high side
Hi Mike, Why do you state 7.8? I'm curious.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You havent mentioned what your pre meal readings are?

I wouldn't want any food/smoothie/meal to have raised my blood glucose more than 2mmol at 2 hours after eating.

The easiest solution to lower BG after a meal is to reduce the carb content/portion size. So why not try halving your beetroot portion and replacing it with something like avocado or broccoli (also superfoods). You may well find that is all it takes to get your BG within target.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hi Mike, Why do you state 7.8? I'm curious.

Hi @June_C

It's been mentioned a few times on this forum that this is the recommended max number (one hour post meal) for T2 readings and to stay under that figure is the target. Personally, I aim for 6.9 and under (and get it every time) so it's an individual preference. Some are great in the 3s and even in the 4s (me? .... nope .... prefer the 5s) so it's horses for the courses.

8 and above for a sustained period? Not for me, unless of course I was coming down from much higher levels.

Take care June

Mike :)

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Hi @June_C

It's been mentioned a few times on this forum that this is the recommended max number (one hour post meal) for T2 readings and to stay under that figure is the target. Personally, I aim for 6.9 and under (and get it every time) so it's an individual preference. Some are great in the 3s and even in the 4s (me? .... nope .... prefer the 5s) so it's horses for the courses.

8 and above for a sustained period? Not for me, unless of course I was coming down from much higher levels.

Take care June

Mike :)
Hi Mike,

Thank you for the explanation. I've also just read Indy51s review that she posted. I'm a T1 on insulin, reducing my carbs (now on about 80 per day) and getting close to my target of no less than 5 and no more than 8. I've still got so much to learn though, which is why I ask somewhat daft questions now and again.

Thanks again, June

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hi June :)

No such thing as a daft question. If you stay between 5 and 8 and it works for you, then they are fine numbers ... that's me speaking as a completely uneducated person insofar as T1 is concerned. Someone will give me a proper whack if I'm wrong :)

Best Regards

Mike

Reactions: 2 people

grantpou2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mike & June thanks for your feedback. As there so many differing opinions about the ideal blood glucose level range, I will endeavour to stick with the NICE recommended target levels and control the amount of beetroot I eat to maintain those figures.

Regards

Grant