Post Your Recipes Here!

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a lovely tea tonight ~~ Lamb and mint burgers ( i made them into meatballs)
serves 4-5
Ingredients
1.10lbs of lamb mince
1/2 cup of fresh mint chopped
2-3 tbsp fresh or dried rosemary
Salt & Pepper to taste
I added 2 cloves of chopped garlic
Method
Break lamb up with a spoon in a bowl
Add the mint & Rosemary and garlic and salt & Pepper and mix together
with your hands to get the flavours worked through
Mold into burger shapes. Make it as firm as you can.
Heat some olive oil (i used coconut oil) in a frying pan on a mod heat
keep turning until they are browned all over and cooked through
About 5-8 mins.
Greek salad is served with it.
I did some fresh spinach cooked in butter and fennel seeds. which was lush.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
icon1.gif
Cream Cheese Danish
A real Danish to go with your coffee, breakfast will never be the same

FaceBook Name: Thor Baker

Creator of the Recipe: Thor Baker

Recipe Name: Cream Cheese Danish with Pecans

Estimated Prep Time: 35

Ingredient List and Amount used:

2 cups of Almond Flour
1-1/4 cup of cold cream cheese, 1 and 1/4 bar of cold cream cheese
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup of fresco cheese crumbles, can substitute mozzarella
2 cups of cheese shreds, I used a 5 cheese italian blend
2 whole jumbo eggs
pinch of salt
2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup of Splenda, or sweetener of your choice

Recipe instructions: Beat the butter and its equivalent amount of cream cheese in the food processor, add the appropriate amount of sweetener to taste. Stir in the pecans by hand and set aside in the refrigerator. Combine the remainder of the cream cheese, almond flour, eggs, fresco cheese crumbles, salt, sweetener and baking soda in the food processor. If using Splenda, I used 1/2 cup and added a few drops of lemon juice to balance the Splenda. Once all is combined transfer to a large bowl and use a mixer to add the cheese shreds. Refrigerate or place in the freezer until the dough can be handled easily. Roll out in your hands ping pong ball sized rolls, flatten slightly and place the cream cheese butter mix in the middle. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes.

General Comments : Do this in batches as it will be a big job for your food processor, finish it in a large bowl with a stand mixer or hand mixer.

Estimated Servings: 16

Calories per Serving: 297

Carbohydrates: 4

Fiber: 1

Carbs-fiber: 3

Protein: 11

Fat: 26

Type of Recipe: "Dessert"

Reactions: 2 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Heston's mighty chilli

This is a very long Heston Blumenthal recipe for chilli with cornmeal muffins which I think is absolutely gorgeous. I assume some can manage the muffins but most (including me) won't want to, unless there is a safe alternative. I use all the other ingredients except the carrot because of their small quantities in a high-fat recipe. I've included the full details of cooking everything from scratch, which takes a l-o-o-o-o-ng time and a lot of faffing about. I use tinned tomatoes and tinned kidney beans! Delete all the stuff you won't need before printing out.

I serve it with as much spinach as I can stuff in a small casserole with 120g of full-fat cream cheese, just for me. Mrs D. has rice or salad with extra cheese and yoghurt.

Heston: "The spiced butter used in this recipe is great for perking up any stew or mince dish. It’s really easy to make and can be kept in the freezer for up to a month. If you find it difficult to find cornmeal for the muffins, replace with it polenta for a slightly heavier but equally delicious result. I always serve chilli con carne with fresh lime zest and juice, soured cream and grated cheese."

Serves 4

Ingredients

For the spiced butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1½ tsp ground cumin
1½ tsp cayenne pepper
1½ tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp tomato ketchup
½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp Marmite
125g unsalted butter, at room temperature

For the kidney beans
500ml brine (50g salt dissolved in 500ml tap water)
150g dried kidney beans
500g cherry tomatoes on the vine

For the chilli
Olive oil
450g minced beef
1 large onion, peeled and diced
2 star anise
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 green chilli, de-seeded and diced
30g tomato purée
375ml red wine
50g spiced butter (or more if desired)
3 medium tomatoes, diced
500ml beef stock

For the cornbread muffins
120g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
120g cornmeal
20g baking powder
1 tsp salt
40g unrefined caster sugar
280ml buttermilk
100ml whole milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
50g unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus extra for greasing
3 preserved jalapeño chillies, diced

To finish and serve
2 red peppers, de-seeded, roasted and peeled then chopped
Salt and black pepper
Finely grated zest and juice of 3 limes
Spiced butter
Grated cheese
Soured cream

Method

1. To make the butter, heat the olive oil in a frying pan and lightly fry the cumin and chilli powder for a couple of seconds. Pour into a bowl and add the smoked paprika, tomato ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Marmite and butter. Mix together thoroughly, cover and keep in the fridge until required (for up to a week), or freeze for a month.

2. For the beans, put the brine in a container, stirring until dissolved. Add the beans, cover and refrigerate for 12 hours.

3. Place the tomatoes and 50ml water in a pressure cooker, reserving the vines. Put on the lid and place over a high heat. When it reaches full pressure, cook for 20 minutes.

4. Remove from the heat and allow to cool before taking off the lid. Place the pan over a high heat, stirring frequently until the liquid has reduced by half (approximately 10 minutes).

5. Leave the tomatoes to cool, then tip into a container, adding the vines to infuse a fresh tomato flavour.

6. To cook the beans, strain them and place in the pressure cooker. Remove the vines from the tomatoes and add the tomatoes to the beans. If necessary, add some water so that the beans are covered in liquid.

7. Put the lid on and place the pressure cooker over a high heat. When it reaches full pressure, reduce the heat and cook for 20 minutes. Leave to cool completely before opening. Add this mixture to the chilli when completed.

8. To start the chilli, coat the bottom of a large saucepan with olive oil and place over a high heat until smoking hot.

9. Add the mince, in batches if necessary so that it browns rather than stews, and cook until evenly coloured. Remove and drain the meat

10. Add a little water to the same pan to deglaze it, and tip the water and bits in with the drained meat so none of the flavour is lost.

11. Turn the heat down to medium and add another thin layer of olive oil. Add the onion and star anise and cook over a medium-high heat for approximately 7–10 minutes until the onion begins to colour, then add the carrot, garlic and green chilli. Cook for another 10 minutes or until the carrot is soft.

12. Add the tomato purée, stir and cook for another 5 minutes until everything turns a brick-red colour. Pour in the red wine and allow to reduce by two-thirds. Remove the star anise and discard.

13. Stir in the spiced butter (for mild-medium heat), the browned mince, diced tomatoes and stock, and simmer over a low heat for 2–3 hours, stirring occasionally.

14. To make the cornbread muffins, preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas mark 4. Sift the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar into a bowl and make a well in the centre. Mix the buttermilk, milk, eggs and melted butter together and pour into the well. Stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture comes together. Stir in the chillies.

15. Butter and flour a 12-hole muffin tin and fill the moulds three-quarters of the way up. Bake the muffins in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, de-mould and allow to cool on a cooling rack.

16. To finish the chilli, fold the beans and chopped peppers into the chilli, and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper, lime zest and juice, and stir in more spiced butter to increase the heat. Serve with grated cheese, soured cream and the muffins. Or whatever you fancy.

Recipe from Heston Blumenthal at Home, Published by Bloomsbury

Last edited by a moderator:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Home alone today so messing about in the kitchen and yes I have left it all nice and clean for when she gets home!
I even made a very nice beef stew for her to come home to but but but .... this is my messing ....

Coconut Flour Pancakes http://blog.paleohacks.com/coconut-flour-pancakes/

Mine dont look quite like the ones on the link as mine have come out thinner and blacker .... yes blacker.
Not quite got it right but I've had one and it was edible .... good enough to eat the whole thing it din't go in the bin.
I'm going to mix a little more coconut flour in and have another go .....

Reactions: 6 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nil desperandum! I'll give these a go soon. Pancakes with gram flour are nice but carby I think. What did you use instead of honey?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Nil desperandum! I'll give these a go soon. Pancakes with gram flour are nice but carby I think. What did you use instead of honey?
A teaspoon of honey for eight pancakes with some stevia but ... the second one was better than the first but not impressed.
I threw the rest away I'm afraid.
I'll have another try over the weekend.
Two average sized pancakes and so filling!
I read lots of warnings around and about that coconut flour was filling and my oh my it's true.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, coconut flour cake is great when I get the munchies and just need to put something in my gob. I blame my mum.

caroline09

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

my last cooked meal from recipes ancymonki:

Cauliflower burgers
Ingredients:

1 large cauliflower
1 egg
5 tablespoons of bread crumbs
Salt and pepper
Oil for frying

Preparation:

1. Wash and cook the cauliflower until very soft.
2. Drain, leave to cool and crush with a fork.
3. Add the egg and breadcrumbs.
4. Mix everything thoroughly.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Shape into burgers, shape patties, roll in breadcrumbs and fry in hot oil until golden brown.
7. Serve with your favourite salad

Bon apetit!

ps. pancakes are my favorite for breakfast !! :)

Ellie-70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

my last cooked meal from recipes ancymonki:

Cauliflower burgers
Ingredients:

1 large cauliflower
1 egg
5 tablespoons of bread crumbs
Salt and pepper
Oil for frying

Preparation:

1. Wash and cook the cauliflower until very soft.
2. Drain, leave to cool and crush with a fork.
3. Add the egg and breadcrumbs.
4. Mix everything thoroughly.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Shape into burgers, shape patties, roll in breadcrumbs and fry in hot oil until golden brown.
7. Serve with your favourite salad

Bon apetit!

ps. pancakes are my favorite for breakfast !! :)
Sounds Yum Caroline, these would be also a nice addition to a packed lunch. Thanks for posting. Ellie

Ellie-70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ELLIE'S MEATLOAF RECIPE (as requested by Alan on 'Packed Lunches' thread).

450/500grams of minced beef (or minced lamb, minced pork or minced chicken breast or turkey breast)
2 tbsps of Olive Oil and a big pat of butter
Medium onion, finely chopped
Medium red pepper, diced
Medium carrot, grated
2 cloves of garlic, minced or crushed
Lots of mushrooms, chopped
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tbsps Worcestershire Sauce (or Soy Sauce)
2 tbsps Tomato Puree
1 heaped tbsp of dried herbs of choice, I used Thyme
Dash of Tabasco Sauce (if liked)
Pinch of salt (optional)
Lots of freshly ground black pepper
2 Sliced Tomatoes for top of meatloaf (if liked)

METHOD
1. Heat oil and butter in frying pan or large saucepan and saute garlic and onions until they soften a little. Add grated carrot, red pepper and mushrooms and dried/fresh herbs and cooked until vegetables began to release their aroma. Turn off heat and allow to cool a little.
2. Add mince to large bowl and break up with your hand or a wooden spoon. Add Worcestershire Sauce, Tomato Puree, salt, black pepper and mix well into mince.
3. Add cooled vegetables and herbs to mince mixture and mix well into mince until combined. Add the beaten eggs and mix again with your hand until combined and mixture 'comes together'. Mixture may seem wet but it will firm up in loaf tin.
4. Grease a 2lb loaf tin (or similar sized tin or baking dish) and line with baking paper, allowing the baking paper to overlap the tin well so that you can 'lift' the loaf out easily. Grease the baking paper too.
5. If using the sliced tomatoes then arrange them on the bottom of the loaf tin and season with salt and pepper. The tomatoes will be on 'top' of the loaf when you turn in out onto a plate. Pack the mince mixture well into the loaf tin, pressing down and making sure the mixture is spread out to the corners of the tin too.
6. Bake at Gas Mark 6 (about 170C) for approx 50 minutes. Pierce in several places with a knife to make sure meat is cooked and juices are clear. It will seem moist but dried out meatloaf is horrible!
7. Allow to cool in the tin for at least 10 minutes before lifting out by the baking paper and turning out onto a large plate. I used to have one quarter of this as a portion but since going low carb and abandoning the potatoes etc I now have one third! It is nice with gravy, mashed cauliflower and other veg of your choice.
8. The leftovers are great the next day as the flavours have had time to develop. A slice is great for a packed lunch, or if I am at home I have a slice between two crispy lettuce leaves with coleslaw or mayonnaise as a 'sandwich'.
9. Enjoy! Naturally the vegetables, herbs and other condiments can be changed to suit your own taste and whatever you have in your fridge/pantry. This loaf above gave 18g of carbs for the entire meatloaf - I used a lot of vegetables - so my portion was 6 carbs. (1,062 calories for the entire meatloaf)
Happy cooking,
Ellie

Reactions: 13 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ELLIE'S MEATLOAF RECIPE (as requested by Alan on 'Packed Lunches' thread).

450/500grams of minced beef (or minced lamb, minced pork or minced chicken breast or turkey breast)
2 tbsps of Olive Oil and a big pat of butter
Medium onion, finely chopped
Medium red pepper, diced
Medium carrot, grated
2 cloves of garlic, minced or crushed
Lots of mushrooms, chopped
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tbsps Worcestershire Sauce (or Soy Sauce)
2 tbsps Tomato Puree
1 heaped tbsp of dried herbs of choice, I used Thyme
Dash of Tabasco Sauce (if liked)
Pinch of salt (optional)
Lots of freshly ground black pepper
2 Sliced Tomatoes for top of meatloaf (if liked)

METHOD
1. Heat oil and butter in frying pan or large saucepan and saute garlic and onions until they soften a little. Add grated carrot, red pepper and mushrooms and dried/fresh herbs and cooked until vegetables began to release their aroma. Turn off heat and allow to cool a little.
2. Add mince to large bowl and break up with your hand or a wooden spoon. Add Worcestershire Sauce, Tomato Puree, salt, black pepper and mix well into mince.
3. Add cooled vegetables and herbs to mince mixture and mix well into mince until combined. Add the beaten eggs and mix again with your hand until combined and mixture 'comes together'. Mixture may seem wet but it will firm up in loaf tin.
4. Grease a 2lb loaf tin (or similar sized tin or baking dish) and line with baking paper, allowing the baking paper to overlap the tin well so that you can 'lift' the loaf out easily. Grease the baking paper too.
5. If using the sliced tomatoes then arrange them on the bottom of the loaf tin and season with salt and pepper. The tomatoes will be on 'top' of the loaf when you turn in out onto a plate. Pack the mince mixture well into the loaf tin, pressing down and making sure the mixture is spread out to the corners of the tin too.
6. Bake at Gas Mark 6 (about 170C) for approx 50 minutes. Pierce in several places with a knife to make sure meat is cooked and juices are clear. It will seem moist but dried out meatloaf is horrible!
7. Allow to cool in the tin for at least 10 minutes before lifting out by the baking paper and turning out onto a large plate. I used to have one quarter of this as a portion but since going low carb and abandoning the potatoes etc I now have one third! It is nice with gravy, mashed cauliflower and other veg of your choice.
8. The leftovers are great the next day as the flavours have had time to develop. A slice is great for a packed lunch, or if I am at home I have a slice between two crispy lettuce leaves with coleslaw or mayonnaise as a 'sandwich'.
9. Enjoy! Naturally the vegetables, herbs and other condiments can be changed to suit your own taste and whatever you have in your fridge/pantry. This loaf above gave 18g of carbs for the entire meatloaf - I used a lot of vegetables - so my portion was 6 carbs. (1,062 calories for the entire meatloaf)
Happy cooking,
Ellie

I have a 500g pack of steak mince in the freezer, was wondering what to do with it, wonder no more! :D

Reactions: 5 people

Ellie-70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ellie's Almond Yoghurt Pancakes
These are great for breakfast or brunch or anytime and can be sweet or savoury. The quantities I give here make one large, fairly thick pancake of about 8 or 9 inches in diameter. To be honest it was a bit too big for me (and I am a greedy guts) so I might use just 50g of ground almonds the next time and use less yoghurt. These pancakes won't bubble on top like normal pancakes so flip when underside is nicely browned. I fried mine in butter.

Ingredients

70g ground almonds (3.5 grams of carbs)
I medium egg (0 carbs)
50g Greek Yoghurt (3 grams of carbs)

Method
Beat egg and vanilla essence in a bowl.
Stir in ground almonds with a fork until well combined.
Slowly add yoghurt (milk can be used if you don't have yoghurt) until you achieve the consistency that you want. I used only 50g as I like a thick, substantial pancake. Stir well with a fork.
Heat a generous pat of butter in a frying pan until butter sizzles. Add pancake batter and 'pull' in edges with a wooden spoon as it cooks. After a minute or two lift up the underside to see if it is browned.
I find pancakes made of ground almonds break up when I try to flip them so before I flip it I cut the pancake into 4 quarters with a knife and then flip them individually with a fish slice.
Once underside is browned transfer to plate and enjoy.

Note: I like pancakes the traditional way so I had mine with sugar (i.e. Xylitol) and the juice of half a lemon. I also added a drop of vanilla essence to the beaten egg and a pinch of cinnamon to the almonds whilst mixing the pancake batter. These pancakes have a different texture to regular wheat flour pancakes, they are denser and more 'mealy' but I think they are delicious.
If you want a savoury pancake you could add salt and pepper and spices or herbs to the ground almonds and have the pancakes with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages etc.

Reactions: 8 people

Fi2000

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ellie's Almond Yoghurt Pancakes
These are great for breakfast or brunch or anytime and can be sweet or savoury. The quantities I give here make one large, fairly thick pancake of about 8 or 9 inches in diameter. To be honest it was a bit too big for me (and I am a greedy guts) so I might use just 50g of ground almonds the next time and use less yoghurt. These pancakes won't bubble on top like normal pancakes so flip when underside is nicely browned. I fried mine in butter.

Ingredients

70g ground almonds (3.5 grams of carbs)
I medium egg (0 carbs)
50g Greek Yoghurt (3 grams of carbs)

Method
Beat egg and vanilla essence in a bowl.
Stir in ground almonds with a fork until well combined.
Slowly add yoghurt (milk can be used if you don't have yoghurt) until you achieve the consistency that you want. I used only 50g as I like a thick, substantial pancake. Stir well with a fork.
Heat a generous pat of butter in a frying pan until butter sizzles. Add pancake batter and 'pull' in edges with a wooden spoon as it cooks. After a minute or two lift up the underside to see if it is browned.
I find pancakes made of ground almonds break up when I try to flip them so before I flip it I cut the pancake into 4 quarters with a knife and then flip them individually with a fish slice.
Once underside is browned transfer to plate and enjoy.

Note: I like pancakes the traditional way so I had mine with sugar (i.e. Xylitol) and the juice of half a lemon. I also added a drop of vanilla essence to the beaten egg and a pinch of cinnamon to the almonds whilst mixing the pancake batter. These pancakes have a different texture to regular wheat flour pancakes, they are denser and more 'mealy' but I think they are delicious.
If you want a savoury pancake you could add salt and pepper and spices or herbs to the ground almonds and have the pancakes with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages etc.
Ooh will have to try tomorrow

Ellie-70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ooh will have to try tomorrow
Hello Fi,
I was surprised that I didn't feel hungry for about five hours after the pancake as I have eaten a three egg omelette for breakfast and felt hungry again three hours later. I will see if this happens again the next time I make the pancakes as I really need meals that stop the stomach growling for several hours. The batter could me made the night before and stored in the fridge.
Enjoy!

Reactions: 6 people

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
This was a fab dish, but I am a cabbage fanatic. I had some for lunch yesterday with griddled haloumi, as a side veg with supper and with poached eggs for breakfast this morning. Hope the recipe is readable from the pics. Of not, let me know.

20150418_134424.jpg 20150418_134419.jpg

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
How much coconut s can't quite see? Thanks
Apologies, my poor camera skills. 2 tbs dessicated coconut. I didn't have any though so used coconut water instead of the water. It worked ok.

pms543

Im sorry @shedges Ive just pasted
Cheese and Almond Bread
Makes 1lb loaf

10 1/2 oz ground Almonds
1tsp baking powder
2oz butter
5 1/2 ozs grated cheese
3 beaten eggs

Combine all ingredients in food processor or bowl, quite a stiff mixture place in loaf tin.
Bake at 180º 50mins
3grams carbs and 12grams protein per slice.
Also good toasted and freezes well

For those who have successfully made this 1lb loaf:

Is it meant to be so hard once out of oven?

I have made this today and the top is rock hard! ( I baked in fan oven at 165 degrees for 45 mins

Edited to add: it was actually fine ( bit dry ) but spread some real butter on a slice, and was lovely

Last edited by a moderator:

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Recipe for breadless pudding which sounds odd (especially when you read the ingredients!) but is actually delicious and can be had for dessert or breakfast.

3 eggs
3/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup water
1 cup cottage cheese, full fat small curd
1/2 cup granulated Splenda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Beat all of the ingredients with a mixer until as smooth as possible. There will still be some lumps of cottage cheese. Pour into a buttered 8x8" baking dish (I use 6 ramekins). If desired, sprinkle some additional cinnamon on top. Bake at 350º for about 1 hour or until the top is nicely browned.
Makes 6-8 servings
Do not freeze

Per 1/6 Recipe: 186 Calories; 15g Fat; 8g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
Per 1/8 Recipe: 140 Calories; 11g Fat; 6g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

I put a handful of blueberries into the ramekins first which would probably up the carbs to 6g per ramekin.

Reactions: 3 people