Liver Dumps

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just wanted to clarify something. I get a lot of liver dumps, every time I get just a bit hungry it seems. That must mean that my pancreas is still producing insulin, maybe too much?

And the risk of having to go on insulin must have passed seeing as my levels have come down so much since january, which was a huge incentive to me to get my BG under control!

MY next A1C will probably still be too high because of these liver dumps, I'm just hoping it will be low enough to convince my doctor I don't need insulin - but just in case she does suggest it, why would I need it if I'm still producing (maybe) too much insulin?

And if I am producing insulin, would that mean that I couldn't be LADA / Type 1.5?

Sorry for so many questions in one post, but they are all connected ;)

brottonmoores

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rowan I'll be interested to read any replies you get to your post as you say everytime you get hungry you get higher readings I also get high readings if I excercise and over night so I'm not clear if I need my tablets metaformin and Gliclazide I see you are also taking them but in a slightly higher dose
Cheers
Jan

Reactions: 2 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always get the morning high, although as my general levels have gone down the morning levels are lower than they used to be, around 8-10 now, whereas they used to be high teens!
But it's all through the day which is very annoying, and I'm getting a bit fed up with home-made veg soup at the first sign of hunger to see me though to the next meal ;)
People say to eat more fat to stop the hunger, but I need to lose a bit more weight yet and have had to cut down the fat just a little - I think I was going a bit over the top with double cream and butter ;)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you know what your BG is when a liver dump is triggered?
It might be interesting to try and map it (maybe test every 15 mins during the period you expect it to happen). - it is 5.1 for me. Infallibly. I can hover at 5.3 for hours, bit if I hit 5.1, my stupid liver goes into panic stations and over-reacts ridiculously. And I am prone to silly dawn phenomenon too.

And does it happen after certain foods/meals? Or at a certain length of time after meals?

Does it happen after a no-carb meal?

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
my fasting morning result are always high, and have been since i was diagnose last may

brottonmoores

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My fasting bs was always around 4 but recently it is in the high 5s regardless of what I eat at bedtimes
After excercise it's around 7 to 8 I know it's still fairly good but I always feel a tad disappointed when it goes up and I haven't had the pleasure of eating forbidden foods
It would be interesting to map it every 15 mins or so around the times I know it will be up time to hit ebay for extra test sticks can you imagine the drs face if I asked for extra sticks to experiment with
Jan

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you know what your BG is when a liver dump is triggered?
It might be interesting to try and map it (maybe test every 15 mins during the period you expect it to happen). - it is 5.1 for me. Infallibly. I can hover at 5.3 for hours, bit if I hit 5.1, my stupid liver goes into panic stations and over-reacts ridiculously. And I am prone to silly dawn phenomenon too.

And does it happen after certain foods/meals? Or at a certain length of time after meals?

Does it happen after a no-carb meal?

It can happen any time if I haven't eaten for a while, but as I usually test just as I'm starting to eat I don't know if the lower numbers (around the 5 mark, very occasionally under) would result in a dump if I'd left it a while.
I always test if I felt a bit woozy/dizzy and that can be anything from 5 to 10!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. The reason I asked is because of the possibility of reactive hypoglycaemia. You may have seen some of the threads that have run about it.

The only other (depressing) thing I can contribute is that if your liver is still dumping, then your liver has glycogen to dump. And your body is still using BG to replenish it.

Which kind of means that your diet is probably not ketogenic. I've no idea what quantities of carbs you are eating at the moment.

But one side effect of a ketogenic diet is the depletion of glycogen reserves in liver and large muscles, and that automatically reduces the size of liver dumps - because there is very little glucose to dump.

My personal experience of ketosis is that my liver dumps are much smaller (I still get a DP, but it is definitely smaller), and my hypos are gentle, mild little things barely worth the name.

You may find the Dianne Kress book listed in my sig interesting. She talks about re-training the liver to stop it firing off liver dumps on a hair trigger. Didn't work for me, but then my hormone situation is unusual, and very abnormal, so I knew it was a long shot before I started her regime.

Reactions: 4 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have between 30-50g carbs a day.
I don't really understand what reactive hypoglycemia is, as far as I can tell it's low blood glucose after eating, but I dont get that. Mine gets lower throughout the day, but not noticeably so after meals.