Any T1 had experience of roccutaine tablets?

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Hia - saw a consultant dermatologist this week who has now decided that I should try Roccutane tablets to treat the adult onset acne I have developed. I'm ok with this (i can't tolerate the long-term antibiotics) but I just wandered if anyone else has taken these and had any side-effects. I'm thinking more in terms of their blood sugars than the connection with depression/suicide that has been reported. She tells me that she has prescribed them to T1 diabetics and she has had no experience about them affecting blood sugars ? Of course, I shall be on the look out and if anything starts to go wrong I'll stop them. She has also given me new a gel and skin wash to try as well and, as I'm leaving for my hols next week, I don't start the tablets until I get back. Thanks

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
PLEASE be careful with roaccutane ! I took it in the 1990's and I was fit and well until then and I've had so many health problems since I've lost count,during treatment my face was that dry that it was white and peeling,my lips dried up to the extent I thought they were going to drop off,I experienced severe anger and headaches and I was constantly getti'ng infections plus my liver function went haywire!

What they don't tell you is the drug is in fact a chemotherapy drug also known as Accutane in the states where it is banned and Roche have been sued by people who have used it and have had similar life changing experiences as me :(

Please be careful

Paul

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks Paul. I'll definately re-think now. My husband says I shouldn't take them as spots are more tolerable than the risk of these side-effect. He has got a point. Maybe after I go through the menopause they'll improve themselves. Thanks for the advice.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Riri! My brother took them as a teenager (non diabetic) he experienced some of the dryness Paul mentioned, but he was prewar bed by the doctor he would have to moisturise day and night, so he kept on too of it. He was recommended to drink lots and keep moisturised and the pills did wonders for his skin.

He didnt complain of any other side affects

heatherj

I was on this when I was younger as I had quite bad acne, and don't remember having any major side effects from it, apart from maybe a bit of the dry skin/lips but again I had been told about this, so was able to manage this easily. They definitely did work well too :)

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks Heatherj. Obviously a decision I'll need to think about and decide for myself on in due course

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
Hi I was just wondering how you got on with the Roccutane? I'm seeing a consultant dermatologist tomorrow and I'm hoping that she can prescribe me this medicine as my acne is getting really bad now and it's beginning to drain the very life out of me!!! Thanks.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
One piece of advice from me ..... personal experience mind you ..... my wife took this stuff for her acne

The word is this . NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Libbaloo

I've just created a new thread in this sub forum. Any of you seen it? My daughter seeing derm on Tuesday next week re Roaccutane. She is due to go off to a top uni for first term of second year (intense study)

I'm concerned that as she already has Hypothyroidism (due to auto immune Hashimotos 4 years ago), but not diabetes... she may be more susceptible to side effects and especially those other auto immune ones plus having to function with the intense study while away from home and needing monitoring etc.

Libbaloo

Thanks Heatherj. Obviously a decision I'll need to think about and decide for myself on in due course
How did you get on? I see this post is 2 years old but my daughter is seeing derm next week. She doesn't have diabetes but does have hypothyroidism and I wonder of she is susceptible to getting other auto immune conditions as a result of being on Roaccutane.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hia Libbaloo, well it was a disaster. It's true to say I was petrified about using them having read the horror stories. I started them but, on day 3, my blood sugars were sky high and unpredictable, I was also having peeling lips already and I was on a low dose! I accept that the blood sugars could have been associated with stress but I made the decision there and then to stop taking them. It did feel as if I was taking poison. My search for a cure for my acne continued and you may see from other posts, I've been taking goats milk with a very potent live kefir grain in it. Luckily Chuckling Goat is a local company so I'm able to pop down the road to get it. After 4 months and 4 courses the spots on my back are 70-80% better. I would never try an say it works for everyone because I just don't know but it certainly seems to have worked for me. It's a totally natural probiotic which has been used for centuries in the Russian hills it's improved my IBS as well.