Diabetes + FSGS treatments

mark_staffo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just been diagnosed with FSGS (Focal segmental glomerulosclerosis).

I'm told the treatment for it involves Steroids & Immunosuppressants, which in turn will cause my blood sugar levels to increase. I have type 2 diabetes and i'm taking metformin & Sitagliptin for my diabetes. Everything is complicated by my other meds for high blood pressure, an immunosuppressant and a chemotherapy drug (both for psoriasis treatment).

Whilst my health isn't the best and i do take roughly 40-45 prescription drugs a day on average, I'm wondering if anyone has any idea on what i can expect from treatment for FSGS and any increase in my blood sugars, either through experience (although i'm told FSGS is a rare
condition) or just from the use of steroids with other conditions.

Thanks alot for any help you can supply.

C

catherinecherub

Hi @mark_staffo and welcome to the forum.

I will bump your post up to see if anyone can relate to your condition.

I did find a website that also has a community base and it might be an idea to join there.

http://nephcure.org/livingwithkidneydisease/understanding-fsgs/fsgs-facts/

Steroids will raise your blood sugars and the fact that you are on so much medication means there may also be some interactions with these drugs that will cause high blood sugars as well as the steroids..
Pharmacies know a lot about medications and it might be an idea to ask your pharmacist to review your meds.

Reactions: 2 people

mark_staffo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had no luck so far with getting any information about this. I havent seen my consultant since either so i dont know what any future treatment plan(s) will involve.

My current drugs list is -
Irbesartan -- Gabapentin 900mg -- Atorvastatin -- Doxazosin -- Tramadol -- Paracetamol -- Amlodipine -- Lansoprazole -- Hydroxyzine Hydrochloride -- Metformin Hydrochloride -- Hydroxycarbamide 500mg -- Infliximabimab -- Sitagliptin 50mg -- Mometasone 50mcg nasal spray -- Gaviscon Advance

Conditions -

Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis: -Nephrotic Syndrome
Psoriasis:- inverse psoriasis - scalp psoriasis - plaque psoriasis - guttate psoriasis - psoriatic nail disease
Arthritis:- Psoriatic arthritis - Rheumatoid arthritis - Osteoarthritis
Diabetes:- type 2- Diabetic neuropathy - Diabetic retinopathy - Diabetic nephropathy
Hypertension:- mild concentric ventricular hypertrophy - mild mitral regurgitation - trivial tricyclic regurgitation - non-dipped blood pressure with non-controlled hypertension
Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction (SI Joint Pain)
Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Laryngopharyngeal Reflux
Non alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD)
Depression
High cholesterol
Raised BMI
Irritable bowel syndrome

So as you can see i'm classed by my consultants as "complicated" (lol) and any treatment plan takes awhile to sort out. Thank you any way for all you help - i have read the link you posted and have a little better idea now, although still no idea if and what treatment awaits me.