Pen Choice

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed Jan 2014 and have been taking Lantus daily using the disposable SoloStar pen and then NovoRapid with the disposable FlexPen. I am quite sensitive to the NovoRapid so had the suggestion of changing to the Echo which allows half units. My DSN has also asked if I would like to change my Lantus to the reusable Clik Star.

Anyone have any favourites or words of caution? I have never had an issue with the disposables so is there anything to watch out for with the reusable pens?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I was diagnosed Jan 2014 and have been taking Lantus daily using the disposable SoloStar pen and then NovoRapid with the disposable FlexPen. I am quite sensitive to the NovoRapid so had the suggestion of changing to the Echo which allows half units. My DSN has also asked if I would like to change my Lantus to the reusable Clik Star.

Anyone have any favourites or words of caution? I have never had an issue with the disposables so is there anything to watch out for with the reusable pens?
I prefer them myself. Seems a lot more eco-friendly to reuse the engineering that goes into a pen and they feel much more substantial than the disposables.

Reactions: 4 people

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the same issues with sensitivity and Rapid as you do, after about 4-5 months i was switch to the Echo, and so far i find its a much better pen then the disposable ones! It feels MUCH better to use, If you click the youtube link in my signature i have a video were talk a bit about it that may help you.

I also switched to a 1/2 Unit Lantus pen, which was a HUGE bonus. It was the Junior Star pen, and allows me to give like 11.5 units of lantus, which i do find really helps dial in a great rate for each day without to many lows like 12 units would have given me. The Junior star pen is a bit cheaper feeling then the Echo, or disposable pen and i do feel like you have to be careful changing reservoirs as the holder can break. But it works well, and is much less waste and is less to pack when traveling because the extra reservoirs are much smaller then full size pens.

All in all, i wouldn't be to concerned with the Echo or the Clik star. They are not disposable so you would expect them to be made a bit better lol

Get the Echo anyway.. Its fantastic, and the red colour really ensures you grab the proper pen before meals haha

Reactions: 2 people

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you travel do you take a spare pen as well as the reservoirs?

Currently I pack one of each pen in by bag and my partners just in case.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Depends on where I am travelling and for how long because once the insulin reaches room temp (ie - not refrigerated) it will only have 30 days before its garbage.

If I am travelling within my own province (I am Canadian) then i don't bring spares because i know i can just go to a pharmacy and buy more. I just make sure that I have enough insulin for the trip.

When i travel out of country (typically this is down to the USA) then I bring a disposable pen, because if it gets left out or warms up i don't feel bad just throwing it away. The reason for not bring reservoirs is if the pen is lost, or broken they are useless, so i still have a box of disposables in my fridge for travels out of country.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
When you travel do you take a spare pen as well as the reservoirs?

Currently I pack one of each pen in by bag and my partners just in case.

Always worth carrying a spare pens along with everything else when travelling, the suggestions by your DSN is a good idea to move over to a reusable pen for your lantus, likewise with the Novo Echo which is a fantastic pen, not only does it dial up in half units it also has a built-in memory function which is handy for those moments where you doubt yourself if you've bolused or not.

Reactions: 4 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love novo echo! Half units, memory and the fact that is much heavier than plastic pen, which makes it very distinguishable (saves you silly mistakes of taking wrong insulin)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use an Echo for my Rapid and the standard Novopen 4 for Basal. Great pens and avoid the waste that disposables create.

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the feedback. Have decided to make the change. I assume the ClikStar will be the only option for Lantus?

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the feedback. Have decided to make the change. I assume the ClikStar will be the only option for Lantus?
They do a half unit pen called the JuniorStar. Your DSN might not be able to find it on the system, but if you give Sanoffi a call they'll send it out to you for free in the UK. They come in silver, blue or red and you can tell them which one you want to avoid whichever colour your Echo is. Ask them for a spare at the same time.

Smidge

Reactions: 2 people