1st Visit to Diabetic Nurse

Lěêşë

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars,
After a few Blood tests over the last 4 months, I have been diagnosed with Type 2...I had my 1st proper visit to see the Diabetic nurse today. ..not really sure what I was expecting but I kinda feel like I've just been abandoned to get on with it..I explained I joined this site and have been reading about ppls experiences and she said not to bother, she's not indicated that there's a local group I can join, so what is the difference if I am a member here, surely it's all about support which quite clearly I won't get off her as she doesn't want to see me for 3 months...what if I have questions...? of course I'm worried and want help, I asked about seeing a dietician, to which she said there would be one present at the 'Desmond' course she's signing me up for...I feel like I'm stuck in Limbo......

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The best decision you made was to join this forum and to educate yourself about diabetes. I've been a member here for some years and my mind is still blown by the level of ignorance and downright misinformation shown by the so-called health "professionals". My own belief is that those of us who take control of our own health are much more likely to deal well with this condition than those who abdicate their health to HCP's.

Let's face it, there's nobody on earth who is going to care about our health more than we do. At the end of the day, no matter how caring (or not) the individual "professional" may be, it is after all a job to them - they get to close our files and move on to the next person. We're stuck with us for life ;)

Reactions: 8 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi @Lěêşë , welcome. @Indy51 is spot on, you'll get the right advice and support here. Most of us have been through the sheep dip of offhand diagnosis and near-zero useful information from HCPs.

This condition can be managed, the key is diet (and probably not the diet HCPs will tell you). Have a read of the links in my sig below, stick with us and ask any questions.

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Sounds familiar , the same old response when what you need is info and support , you will find both on here :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This gives a simple overview to how it works, if you find these links useful. please put in favourites and share with other diabetics here
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. They don’t give up easy and it’s biochemical

a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

From the @Southport GP study, who posts here
http://www.practicaldiabetes.com/Sp.../March 2014/PP Unwin final proofs revised.pdf