What foods did you have to give up when you became diabetic?

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have given up Bread Potatoes Rice Pasta Cereals Cake Biscuits Choccy and Pastry
and Sugar. I make all my own food so I know what's in it.
I am loving the LCHF and all the different ways to cook Cauliflower. I am eating
Loads more green leafy veg. I limit fruit to just a few berries at night with a dollop
Of thick cream.
I have given up ALL low fat foods as they are full of sugar.
My diabetic nurse said I should scrap the high fat for low fat :eek:
I told her that there is know way I'm going back to low fat foods.

Reactions: 6 people
C

catherinecherub

Well - this ignores the rather stunningly obvious fact that beans etc are full of carb. So if you want them, you'll have to bolus for them. Or eat just a little and then starve that day, if you're a Type 2. This is part of the official brainwash that carbs are good for you.

Well - particularly if you're a Type 2 - they're not. News???

Beans come under the heading of resistant starches so it is not all bad news. @LucySW.

http://authoritynutrition.com/resistant-starch-101/

1. Resistant starch (RS) is starch and starch degradation products that escape from digestion in the small intestine of healthy individuals. Resistant starch is considered the third type of dietary fiber, as it can deliver some of the benefits of insoluble fiber and some of the benefits of soluble fiber.

It's like all foods, they need to be tested rather than rely on other people's observations.

I use beans very often in salads, soups casseroles and they can replace pasta, rice and potatoes for me in some meals.

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Beans, beans, beans, it all depends what types you have, some I detest and some I can eat a few.
Lentils I eat in homemade soups, no effect.

If you talk about baked beans, you can buy these without the tomato (sugared) sauce and cook them. I have strained the sauce off and baked them, then let them cool, then microwaved them and I only get a small rise, but too many and I spike! It all depends if you need to have them! Experiment! I have!

Oh yeah, I now have a limited diet, mainly meat, very low carb veg, fish, eggs, homemade soups,curries and stews. Yoghurt. My treat is berries and 85% dark chocolate. A slice (or two) of Bergen bread a day.

Everything else is out!

Reactions: 2 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never been a great fan of Lentils, chick peas etc but I loved pasta and rice. I did eat a lasagne the other day and it didn't have too much affect on my BS levels so I may have that again or try a home made spag bolognese which I haven't had for at least 8 months. I also don't eat much fruit these days - ironic really because if I had a dessert I always went for the 'healthy' option - a fruit salad :facepalm:

Stansfieldsara

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I ask as its all new to me. My daughter is type 1 diagnosed in sept. We got told to have carbs with every meal. It's brown bread rice and pasta etc for us and red milk. So why do we get told to eat carbs but most people actually don't eat them. I never test her for spike. Should I be? And what's the rules with a spike? And should she be eating those foods? Any advice would be great thanks

Sharon1962

I just l
What Pasha says - but I eat eggs, butter, cream. Lots and lots of green veg, cooked mainly but lots of salads.

I was sad to give up hummus and chickpeas, beans and lentils. I love those, and root veg too. I can have a little bit of them tho, if I bolus.

I don't miss sweet stuff, except for fruit. I love mangos and watermelon. Again, I can have a little bit, sometimes.

But it's so worth it - I want to be well, healthy, on a good path not a bad one. That's much more important. It's all so worth it!

Lucy
ike to know what do you eat if you have given up so much.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I ask as its all new to me. My daughter is type 1 diagnosed in sept. We got told to have carbs with every meal. It's brown bread rice and pasta etc for us and red milk. So why do we get told to eat carbs but most people actually don't eat them. I never test her for spike. Should I be? And what's the rules with a spike? And should she be eating those foods? Any advice would be great thanks

I seem to remember your daughter is 8 years old ? Is she on a basal bolus regime ?

The reason that diabetics are told to eat carbs is to offset the insulin injections and avoid hypos. Theoretically. It's a belt and braces approach h that is a little backward, particularly in adult Type 1's .

It's very early days since your daughters diagnosis, and because she is so young it's probably not a good idea at this stage/ age to be testing for spikes specifically , but keeping an eye on portion sizes and how they are affecting her blood glucose is a good idea. For example, if her readings are high when testing before her meal and the last meal consisted of a high carbohydrate food, it makes sense to cut back on that particular food. As you already know, it's a balancing act between going too low, and going too high with goal being so where in the middle of the range set by your daughters diabetes team. That being said, if your daughter is not happy with having to eat starchy carbs with every meal, then it would be possible to adjust her insulin so she didn't have to, or eat less of them, but this shouldn't be attempted without the advice of her team..

Signy

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Apart from the obvious cakes and biscuits, I've given up bread, rice, pasta, potatoes and any other starchy veg along with milk in my coffee
I like phil 248 posts and 1045 likes, how did that happen?

Back on track... i gave up, ice cream and baileys and bread and pasta and noodles and chocolate and doughnuts and Raspberry curd doughnuts, chocolate-y peanut popcorn, toffee apples and marshmallows, kebabs, candy floss etc etc etc

on the plus side i like eggs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like phil 248 posts and 1045 likes, how did that happen?

Back on track... i gave up, ice cream and baileys and bread and pasta and noodles and chocolate and doughnuts and Raspberry curd doughnuts, chocolate-y peanut popcorn, toffee apples and marshmallows, kebabs, candy floss etc etc etc

on the plus side i like eggs.
You must have suffered 'sugar withdrawal' after giving that lot up:eek:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Er....nothing! Which makes me sound greedy : D

I do watch certain foods and don't over-indulge, or eat them only at certain times, but to label a food 'forbidden' would be miserable, IMO.

I have Type 1 diabetes, am not overweight, and have a very good HbA1C. I enjoy my food : )

Allaboutbg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Like you, my daughter is type 1 on an insulin pump, and our health care professionals and dietician have never mentioned anything about having a very low carb diet. In fact they mentioned very low carb diet as being dangerous as she is growing and going through puberty. She eats roughly, by coincidence more than design, about the same amount of carbs every day, the breakfast being the most carb heavy, and we bolus for the carb content. Obviously there will be a spike after eating but they are not concerned about that as long as after 2 hours her bg is back to normal as they said the total for the day is the most important. I know that the target HbA1C for a child under 12 is 7.5 which is higher than an adult so perhaps this has something to bare on this conversation. I am new to the site so very welcome to hear if other people with children in similar circumstances have been told differently.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not a child but I eat carbs with every meal and always have done. I bolus for them and my HbA1c has always been excellent. I don't think it's the case that 'most people' dont eat carbs so don't worry. I eat around 150-180g of carbs a day as a rough estimate. We're all different and our bodies have different needs.

There's also a difference between Type 1s and Type 2s which may affect diet choices. Certainly, if I was Type 2 I'd be eating less carbs, but as a slim Type 1 with a fast metabolism, I eat a fair few carbs. If your daughter is thriving and her HbA1C is in range and she is happy and healthy, then that's good. :) it sounds like you and her diabetes team are taking very good care of her, and the fact she has a pump is excellent too (I love my pump!).

G

gemma6549

Nothing really. I eat healthily but not because of diabetes.

Pre diabetes I would never have sugary drinks or sugar in my tea anyway so that made no difference.

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Cut down but not gave up sweet and starchy foods. I'd say I took up more things than I gave up, like new foods, exercise, things I enjoy. However, I did also give up anything toxic in my life, which includes certain people and situations!

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've not given up much, but now watch the calorific content of what I eat much more closely. Therefore the two items I really miss are pork pies and lardy cake. Neither are totally off my list of things to eat, but both are so high in calories that I avoid them as I don't want to put any weight back on. Oh, and fish and chips with Heinz baked beans. :(