Hi everyone!

CobaltRose96

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everyone, just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm an 18 (nearly 19) year old female living in the UK.

Today, I was referred to my GP for a diabetes test following an eye exam. Long story short, my eyesight has deteriorated MASSIVELY since my last eye exam two years ago (prescription is THREE TIMES stronger than it was two years ago). This concerned the optometrist so much he has decided I need to be checked for diabetes. I don't think I have any other symptoms (besides a slight increase in thirst), so I'm somewhat doubtful that I have it, but I'm still not thrilled by the prospect that I might! I've already seen that this forum is hugely supportive, and even if it turns out that I do have diabetes, I know it's not the death sentence it once was. Fingers crossed! I'll be sure to keep you updated.

Kind regards,

Hannah

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Let's hope the tests are negative but if diabetes is confirmed we can help in many ways.

Reactions: 4 people

CobaltRose96

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi and welcome. Let's hope the tests are negative but if diabetes is confirmed we can help in many ways.

Thanks, Daibell. I certainly hope they are negative, but I can see clearly that this forum is very supportive. Thanks again. :)

S

Sable_Jan

HI @CobaltRose96

Welcome to the forum..

That's the thing with diabetes, its sneaky......most people wouldn't know if it wasn't for other things. I was lucky getting diagnosed pre-diabetic through a routine annual MOT blood test. With having arthritis, high blood pressure and fibromyalgia I am tested annually to see what effects the meds are having on my liver kidneys etc... my fasting bg was considered high so I was recalled for an HbA1c and this showed I was in the top end of pre-diabetes ... the silly thing was I was eating healthier and losing weight... I say "healthier" and in many ways I was, cutting down on fats BUT eating lots more fruit and veggies and pasta and rice and wholewheat and seeded bread... alas that tipped me over into the pre-diabetes.

Don't worry though, even if you have to take meds to start with a lifestyle change, diet and exercise particularly can mean you could ditch the meds in time.... many people on the threads, you may have read, have done just this..

You've made a good start by being proactive and dropping in on the website/forums

all the best
Sable

Reactions: 4 people

CobaltRose96

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
HI @CobaltRose96

Welcome to the forum..

That's the thing with diabetes, its sneaky......most people wouldn't know if it wasn't for other things. I was lucky getting diagnosed pre-diabetic through a routine annual MOT blood test. With having arthritis, high blood pressure and fibromyalgia I am tested annually to see what effects the meds are having on my liver kidneys etc... my fasting bg was considered high so I was recalled for an HbA1c and this showed I was in the top end of pre-diabetes ... the silly thing was I was eating healthier and losing weight... I say "healthier" and in many ways I was, cutting down on fats BUT eating lots more fruit and veggies and pasta and rice and wholewheat and seeded bread... alas that tipped me over into the pre-diabetes.

Don't worry though, even if you have to take meds to start with a lifestyle change, diet and exercise particularly can mean you could ditch the meds in time.... many people on the threads, you may have read, have done just this..

You've made a good start by being proactive and dropping in on the website/forums

all the best
Sable

Many thanks for your kind words, Sable. :)

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
hello and welcome
if you turn out to be diabetic, we are here to help you

Reactions: 6 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HI welcome to the forum. :)

So here's my take on things either you are diabetic in which case when your get your blood sugars under good control (with our help) you may find that like me, next time the prescription is a weaker one.

Or you're not diabetic. My brother- in-law had a similar shock when he was your age. He was told that if his eyes continued to deteriorate at the same rate he would be blind in 2 years. They haven't got any worse in the last 35 years. So what I'm saying is either way, don't panic. :)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm an 18 (nearly 19) year old female living in the UK.

Today, I was referred to my GP for a diabetes test following an eye exam. Long story short, my eyesight has deteriorated MASSIVELY since my last eye exam two years ago (prescription is THREE TIMES stronger than it was two years ago). This concerned the optometrist so much he has decided I need to be checked for diabetes. I don't think I have any other symptoms (besides a slight increase in thirst), so I'm somewhat doubtful that I have it, but I'm still not thrilled by the prospect that I might! I've already seen that this forum is hugely supportive, and even if it turns out that I do have diabetes, I know it's not the death sentence it once was. Fingers crossed! I'll be sure to keep you updated.

Kind regards,

Hannah
Hi welcome to the forum. I had similar issues with my eyesight when I was 21 - from perfect vision to needing a strong prescription within a year. I was tested for diabetes but at the time was OK. Hopefully everything will turnout ok for you but if not it is not the end of the world as it can be controlled

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hello there and Welcome to the one of the best forums on the net :)

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi and welcome
Hope the tests turn out well for you, Don't panic or worry if you can help it get the results first if they aren't as good as you'd like still don't panic there are a lot of things you can do for yourself and there's a lot of people here to help if we can .

CobaltRose96

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everyone, just a quick update. I haven't had the test yet, but you know how I was saying I wasn't getting any other symptoms? Well, it looks like that's changed. :(

For the past couple of days, I have been urinating pretty frequently. As in, once every hour at least. This is unusual for me, as I can usually go pretty long without needing the loo. This is despite me not drinking any more than I normally do. I've also occasionally been getting bouts of nausea, although this isn't all the time. Should I be worried?

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging

Kind regards,

Hannah
Hi cobaltrose96,glad your here with us and hope the news is good for you , keep posting. @daisy1 will give the info for new posters, have a read up.

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey CobaltRose, welcome to the forum. Awesome screen name btw.

Avi for ya:

il_340x270.441734153_jzd0.jpg