Rugby Advice for Pump User

Nitram

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Pump
My 14 year old son is a very keen rugby player (Captain of school team and club rugby player for 7 years). Last summer he was diagnosed as Type 1 and has handled his injections incredibly well and has fantastic control of his blood sugars. He started on a medtronic insulin pump recently but it's proving difficult to protect the canula when the pump is detached and he's playing. This is despite covering the canula with another protective layer (plaster type thing). Are there any pump users out there who play rugby? He could do with some advice!

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Which cannula is he using? I think the Mio ones are slightly lower profile than the Quickset. Maybe try covering the cannula with Mefix or opsite or something similar although getting a sticky dressing off may be tricky without pulling the cannula out. I have seen videos of people using a dressing and cutting a hole for the pump to reattach which basically reinforces the adhesive

ps, I am not a player of rugby but an avid fan!

Nitram

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for that. Definitely worth a try. He uses the mio type and the over the top patch sounds like a good idea with a hole cut in it for the cannula tube to reattach. Thanks Very much!