When are glucose levels “too high”?

Broccoli

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everyone!

I haven't got diabetes myself, but a close family member of mine (my dad) has diabetes and I've got a couple of questions about his situation. Now, I know that the following is something my dad himself ought to talk with his doctor about, but I don't think that he has seen a doctor about his diabetes for a long time now, (in fact he seems reluctant to do so) so I'm hoping to get some general information/advice about a couple of issues...

A little background information: My dad is 60 years old and he's had a diagnosed class 2 diabetes for a few years now. He's not on any medication, initially he tried (and still do, to a certain extent) to control his diabetes by his diet and by going for walks.

Unfortunately he has progressively lost interest in keeping his diabetes in check. He'll eat desserts and food rich in carbs. Don't get me wrong, he still tries to eat moderately healthy but I fear that he might not do as much to control his diabetes as he should do.

His blood sugar levels are around 10 mmol/L in the morning before breakfast, and I guess it's at least about 14-16 mmol/L a couple of hours after meals.

He's not having any obvious symptoms of diabetes complications or anything like that. He has his eyes checked a couple of times a year, but overall he appears to be reasonably healthy.

Now, my question is if there's reason to be concerned because of his blood sugar levels? I know that the recommended levels are somewhat lower than he has, so naturally I wonder if it dangerous to live with such blood sugar levels for a long time without doing something about it? Does he need to reconsider his diet, or perhaps he should consider medication?

Or do I worry too much, perhaps I should cut him some slack?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would be worried if they were my numbers. but it's up to your dad to look after himself.
there is nothing you can do other than help him understand that it's all carbs including fruit/ juice he has to reduce

he may have carb cravings that's common with T2
This gives a simple overview to how it works
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. They don’t give up easy and it’s biochemical

a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

From the @Southport GP study, who posts here

http://www.practicaldiabetes.com/Sp.../March 2014/PP Unwin final proofs revised.pdf

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Those numbers do need to be reduced. They may not be dangerous but will probably be causing long-term damage. Yes, reducing the carbs in the diet will help if you can convince him. Starting Metformin will also help a bit?

Broccoli

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everyone!

Thank you all for your response! I had a nice and long chat with my dad today and I'm moderately optimistic. He seemed to understand that diabetes is a potentially dangerous disease and he promised to pay more attention to his blood levels.

However, one of his problems is that some people have been reacting negatively when he tried to lose weight a couple of years ago and he is very sensitive when it comes to what other people say and do. For instance, I know that he feels obliged to partake of cakes when my grandmother is around, she's been telling him that he shouldn't be “extreme” when it comes to his diet. (In other words, she's implying that he shouldn't be afraid to eat cakes and ice cream.)

He dreads being “difficult”, so having to say “no thanks” to cakes and sweets at parties, etc, is really difficult to him.