Have I wasted my money on these low carb protein bars?

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have one every morning with my first cuppa, which is enough to last until breakfast a couple of hours or so later - can't eat much first thing! I got my last delivery last week and the use by date is November, so quite long lasting. I also keep some in my car in case I get stuck somewhere, and some in my camper.

I actually bought 2 lots this time because they sent me a voucher for £20 off if I spent over £100, so i got 100 bars for £80, I do like a bargain ;)

Couldn't you make them, for less than 80p-£1 each? That seems rather pricey to me, but it may just reflect where I (personally) view a snack bar in the desirability stakes.

That's no judgement on how good or tasty or convenient they are, just as an item, they don't really float my boat. All a bit utility to me.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Couldn't you make them, for less than 80p-£1 each? That seems rather pricey to me, but it may just reflect where I (personally) view a snack bar in the desirability stakes.

That's no judgement on how good or tasty or convenient they are, just as an item, they don't really float my boat. All a bit utility to me.

I wouldn't be able to make them nearly as nice as these ones, they don't taste low carb at all. In fact I know I wouldn't bother making them at all, I've not much energy for cooking any more than the basics. And looking at the price of bars in a supermarket these aren't bad at all ;)

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!

Hi AndBreathe

I'm afraid my cooking skills are absolutely rubbish. :eek: I plan on getting better, trying some recipes & improving my skills. But I'll definitely be having some foody disasters as I try being a tad more domesticated. I've no desire to make snack bars though, & I'm happy to pay the pennies for the convenience of buying them in. My free time is very limited & I'd rather be spending time with my boys than being unnecessarily stuck in the kitchen. Each to their own, & hey, if you're a good cook & have the time to spare, then it's probably quite therapeutic to make your own tasty snack bars. Maybe one day...:)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi AndBreathe

I'm afraid my cooking skills are absolutely rubbish. :eek: I plan on getting better, trying some recipes & improving my skills. But I'll definitely be having some foody disasters as I try being a tad more domesticated. I've no desire to make snack bars though, & I'm happy to pay the pennies for the convenience of buying them in. My free time is very limited & I'd rather be spending time with my boys than being unnecessarily stuck in the kitchen. Each to their own, & hey, if you're a good cook & have the time to spare, then it's probably quite therapeutic to make your own tasty snack bars. Maybe one day...:)

It's more like I don't eat snack bars! Although, doing s tray bake/batch would probably do 30 at a time, I'm guessing.

In this house, MrB is the main cook, and I do breakfasts and lunches usually, so I am rather spoiled. When he's away, I like to experiment, and have got more adventurous, since trying more low carb stuff. I think a few people have learned to cook, as a result of,their diagnosis. Silver lining, and all that.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It's more like I don't eat snack bars! Although, doing s tray bake/batch would probably do 30 at a time, I'm guessing.

In this house, MrB is the main cook, and I do breakfasts and lunches usually, so I am rather spoiled. When he's away, I like to experiment, and have got more adventurous, since trying more low carb stuff. I think a few people have learned to cook, as a result of,their diagnosis. Silver lining, and all that.

Oh please let MrB come n live with me for a while. I need a personal chef. ;) And you're right about HAVING to learn how to cook. Just another diabetic complication! Jeez...I hope I don't kill one of my boys with my efforts. Death by low carb rock buns. :eek:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I make a great coronation chicken by stirring Helmans mayo, a teasp of Pataks mild curry paste, and a teasp of mango chutney into chopped chicken leftovers from the Sunday roast. Takes about 2 mins.

I do something similar using the Sainsbury's Tikka powder stirred into the mayonnaise. It doesn't end up grainy and works brilliantly.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh please let MrB come n live with me for a while. I need a personal chef. ;) And you're right about HAVING to learn how to cook. Just another diabetic complication! Jeez...I hope I don't kill one of my boys with my efforts. Death by low carb rock buns. :eek:

Honestly, Alison, some of the recipes I have tried are absolutely wonderful, and easy as can be. I was cynical, and MrB impressed. For him, cauliflower rice is a step too far, but he will very happily embrace "normal" lower carb stuff.