Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I am the same Mike, even a 20 minute walk can drop me two or three points, a few weeks ago I went for a walk round our village about an hour after my dinner and didn't take a small snack with me, coming up the path on the way home I started to weave about and feel a bit dizzy and sweaty, got inside and checked my bs, 2.6! Probably was about 4.8 ish before I set off 15 minutes earlier.

Yep @lovinglife

The rules aren't simply applied across the board. Just does not work like that.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another one for whom exercise reduces BG.
Unless I do something strenuous, in which case it drops like a stone.
Add in stress and I will hypo v easily.

In my case insulin resistance is a big factor.

Reactions: 5 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exercise seems to put my BG's up just as often as it brings them down. :(

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Exercise always puts mine up, and when I say exercise I mean dog walking, not killing myself in the gym. I've tried more strenuous exercise such as running up and down stairs several times about 40 to 50 minutes after eating. I was wasting my time.

Just shows how different we all are.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Readings in the five and lower than eight are fine.
Not sure what the problem is.

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
The "problem" is the automatic assumption that exercise raises BS. It MIGHT for some, it does not for me and obviously others. When you post you need to be careful about "absolutes".

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@bluejeans98 was hardly laying down a law of nature, he was just trying to help the OP understand his position, a follow up posting suggesting waiting for recovery sounded like a good suggestion to me. @Brunneria observation that too much can hypo was an equally useful contribution. My BG goes both ways with exercise... so who knows.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
With respect he was and he did. I quote the following

You should wait at least 20 to 30 mins as you will have BG levels slightly raised as your body is producing glucose to feed your muscles.

That is simply wrong. It is even stated in his link .... note the word "sometimes" ....
Http://www.joslin.org/info/why_do_blood_glucose_levels_sometimes_go_up_after_physical_activity.html

You cannot make such a statement without qualifying it. I've tested this theory MANY MANY times and exercise drops my numbers on every occasion. EVERY single time. I've gone from 7s to 4s depending on the walk time. Yep, granted that may not happen for everyone, but perhaps I'm an exception but as attested to by others so are they. I will NOT sit silent and let that comment go without challenge. IT IS WRONG. I repeat again, one rule does NOT apply to all. We all know exercise is important for those with this condition so they all need to work out what benefits them.

Reactions: 4 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
With respect he was and he did. I quote the following

You should wait at least 20 to 30 mins as you will have BG levels slightly raised as your body is producing glucose to feed your muscles.

That is simply wrong. It is even stated in his link .... note the word "sometimes" ....
Http://www.joslin.org/info/why_do_blood_glucose_levels_sometimes_go_up_after_physical_activity.html

You cannot make such a statement without qualifying it. I've tested this theory MANY MANY times and exercise drops my numbers on every occasion. EVERY single time. I've gone from 7s to 4s depending on the walk time. Yep, granted that may not happen for everyone, but perhaps I'm an exception but as attested to by others so are they. I will NOT sit silent and let that comment go without challenge. IT IS WRONG. I repeat again, one rule does NOT apply to all. We all know exercise is important for those with this condition so they all need to work out what benefits them.

With hindsight I was wrong to write what I did. You are correct. Cheers, Hj

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
To OP:

Most people do not understand one aspect - cycles of 'Intensity' and 'relaxation'. When you do any workout with an objective of controlling b-sugar or weight; you must have a certain level of 'intensity' and should see sweat. That is the benchmark symptom for physical reaction. Some bodies take 20 min to get warmed up; some need 30min. So during warm up - take it easy, do not push yourself, try to be steady. Example is - walking for 30 or 40 min at moderate speed. After that take 2 or 3 minutes break (yes only 2 or 3 min break) and then raise the intensity to a level that you can comfortably do - jog or run steadily for another 30 to 40 min. Which means, exercise for 1 hour or beyond is very essential to see the results. Mornings are best for this type of exercise.

NOTE: if you are obese - DO NOT JOG or RUN. You simply damage your knees. I had this problem, so only walked to warm up. I did planks and resistance bands - this phase lasted for one full year. But results were very good weight dropped from 200lbs to 175lbs, but took a whole year. I repeat - during that year - what all I did - mild walking for 30min + 30 min of resistance bands + 20 min of planking (with breaks) - EVERYDAY. Because I was advised by a medical doc to prevent damage to my knees. I never gave up though.

Now coming to 'relaxation': It is equally important part of exercise. Best is to walk with group of friends - talking, laughing, arguing etc. OR walk your dog. OR recreational swimming. all are great - just that DO NOT exert at all. evenings are great for this type of activity. Sleep well after that.

Now, losing 25lbs over 1 year is not an achievement; most people do much better. But for my body - it took one whole year with complete focus and dedication. Morale was low, all my family members are T2D, no hope really; BUT I tried.

Now coming to the point raised by OP:
yes, I used to have higher BS after my exercise. Not sure why it was like that, but I remember that. But as my weight came down to 140lbs over the years (took 4 years which is very slow), I stopped checking my BS almost at home. Last time I did that is before and after X-mas just to keep myself under check - I went to a diagnostic center got complete blood work - all normal, perfectly fine. Now I run, jog and sprint or whatever as my BMI is around 23.5.

My slow rate of weight is connected to my family genes. Though I try hard to lose weight, body reacts like it wants more fat in it; just to make me look as any other member of my family - who are all obese. As I said, I tried hard and still doing to keep it under control. For now, I am under control, not sure when T2D will take over my body.

OP did not post details of weight, BMI, family-gene history of T2D etc. Those details are very imp here.

Best of luck.

PS: I am neither diabetic nor pre-D. Trying hard to avoid it. I am no medical doc; nor an expert in this area. Was addicted to French fries, pop-corn and Coke, but now eating healthy.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now, losing 25lbs over 1 year is not an achievement; most people do much better. But for my body - it took one whole year with complete focus and dedication. Morale was low, all my family members are T2D, no hope really; BUT I tried.

:)

I disagree. 25lbs over a year may be a huge achievement!
it all depends on your particular physical makeup.

Having lost about 20lbs over 7 months, then stalled for nearly 6 months, I SALUTE your ACHIEVEMENT and award you MANY, MANY gold stars.

:D

Reactions: 3 people

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

I disagree. 25lbs over a year may be a huge achievement!
it all depends on your particular physical makeup.

Having lost about 20lbs over 7 months, then stalled for nearly 6 months, I SALUTE your ACHIEVEMENT and award you MANY, MANY gold stars.

:D
Well, the usual and agreed standard is anywhere between 1 to 2 lbs per week. So, this means, I could not get the lower side which is 1lb / week, considering 56 weeks in a year. Even my GPs (few docs I used to consult) told me to take it easy; there is one stop solution 'Metformin'. I remember my body never reacted in good way to exercise during the first year. I was able to actually sense that resistance. Saggy belly, swollen joints, uncontrollable head-ache after exercise - simply my system hated any workout. What all it liked were - French fries, potato chips, Chinese fried rice and of course Coke the great. Even today, sometimes I indulge in those things, but not compulsion anymore. And then even now if I am careless with diet about 3 days in row, my weight races up - which means whatever I eat body wants to retain as fat and get back to its previous form or shape. Actually I am now addicted to coffee with milk and sugar. My target is get body fat to around 15% and that looks impossible.

You know what I liked the most on this forum? The quote from one of the users 'Paul59' on this forum - It will never beat me.

There are some great posts on this forum, especially the experiences of some of the seniors. I believe now I have a specific way to beat this T2D.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, the usual and agreed standard is anywhere between 1 to 2 lbs per week. So, this means, I could not get the lower side which is 1lb / week, considering 56 weeks in a year. Even my GPs (few docs I used to consult) told me to take it easy; there is one stop solution 'Metformin'. I remember my body never reacted in good way to exercise during the first year. I was able to actually sense that resistance. Saggy belly, swollen joints, uncontrollable head-ache after exercise - simply my system hated any workout. What all it liked were - French fries, potato chips, Chinese fried rice and of course Coke the great. Even today, sometimes I indulge in those things, but not compulsion anymore. And then even now if I am careless with diet about 3 days in row, my weight races up - which means whatever I eat body wants to retain as fat and get back to its previous form or shape. Actually I am now addicted to coffee with milk and sugar. My target is get body fat to around 15% and that looks impossible.

You know what I liked the most on this forum? The quote from one of the users 'Paul59' on this forum - It will never beat me.

There are some great posts on this forum, especially the experiences of some of the seniors. I believe now I have a specific way to beat this T2D.

I have switched from sugar in coffee to xylitol or erythritol.

Amazing as it sounds, I actually prefer the taste of xylitol to sugar. It is a cleaner flavour. No sour aftertaste (have always found sugar does that), plus of course almost no BG impact for me.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
How about coffee with sweeteners and full fat cream?

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just wanted to add that you could have 2 bacons and 2 eggs without the toast, would be more filling ;)
That's what I have rowan. With some mushrooms cooked in butter ...... Lush !
I haven't had bread in over 6 weeks, don't miss it either. :)

brottonmoores

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your veiws on excercise and blood sugar levels, it's amazing that before you become diabetic you take everything your body does for granted, plus you tend to to think diabetic? Just avoid sugar
These last 5 month have been a real eye opener for me,not all bad either, so after my hiccup my body really dosent like carbs in any shape or form (need something to mop my egg up still) i will persist with the walking forget about my slice of toast re schedule my testing times after excercise and see what happens.
I have an appointment with the nurse at the end of next month for blood tests, I might decide to shock her by telling her I'm lchf and I need extra tablets because I will be away for my hols. For a few weeks
Thanks again people you've saved me from giving up completely
Lots of love
Jan
I did give up being a diabetic for half an hour earlier today and devoured a cadburys creme egg very nice but no more

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your veiws on excercise and blood sugar levels, it's amazing that before you become diabetic you take everything your body does for granted, plus you tend to to think diabetic? Just avoid sugar
These last 5 month have been a real eye opener for me,not all bad either, so after my hiccup my body really dosent like carbs in any shape or form (need something to mop my egg up still) i will persist with the walking forget about my slice of toast re schedule my testing times after excercise and see what happens.
I have an appointment with the nurse at the end of next month for blood tests, I might decide to shock her by telling her I'm lchf and I need extra tablets because I will be away for my hols. For a few weeks
Thanks again people you've saved me from giving up completely
Lots of love
Jan
I did give up being a diabetic for half an hour earlier today and devoured a cadburys creme egg very nice but no more
My... I think I would find a CCE very very sweet now... they are not the same as they used to be... Kraft changed the chocolate....
Small steps, not all in the same direction but generally heading the right way.... is the way to go.
Good on yer
Hj

M

mojo37

Sorry, but it does not apply to everyone. My BS drop enormously after exercise so one size does NOT fit all. I've gone from low 6s to high 4s with 20 minutes walking and it works every time. EVERY time. Proved it so many times it's ridiculous
Mine drops every time too if only I had the discipline...:rolleyes:

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
" did give up being a diabetic for half an hour earlier today and devoured a Cadburys creme egg very nice but no more".

I did consider buying myself one; first year in memory that I haven't had creme eggs, lots of them, but I know my glucose would be through the roof if I had even one so I had to discipline myself. Just great being diabetic - not!