Stupid Pump Tricks Vol 37 - no bolus

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm so fecked off with changing my pump that I have given up bolusing with it and I'm using an MDI pen for bolus.

Does this make me a bad person? Yes, of course.
Does it mean that IoB doesn't work? Yes, it does.
Does it mean I'm probably using the infusion set too long, and allowing bacteria, jihadis, Communist agitators and bearded hipsters to crawl up the tube? Probably.

But I just cannot be fecked to change my pump more often than the bare minimum. I guess it's a subtype of Diabetes Burnout, Diabetes Pump Burnout. Sigh.

Reactions: 10 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I'm so fecked off with changing my pump that I have given up bolusing with it and I'm using an MDI pen for bolus.

Does it mean I'm probably using the infusion set too long, and allowing bacteria, jihadis, Communist agitators and bearded hipsters to crawl up the tube? Probably.

But I just cannot be fecked to change my pump more often than the bare minimum. I guess it's a subtype of Diabetes Burnout, Diabetes Pump Burnout. Sigh.

Sorry to hear that Spiker, it seems to be one thing after another :oops: sorry I can't advise or help.

Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What problems do you have? am I just lucky?
It's just fatigue really. I do not have infusion set problems very often any more. It's psychological I'm sure. I think part of it is the worry, every time I change my set, that it's not going to work, that there'll be hours if stress investigating and bad BG, maybe hypos, maybe DKA.

Just kinda sick of it Eng but it's one of those things.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

That's not going to work, is it, Spiker? If your set is duff, you are not getting your basal properly, either. And if that's so, that could explain rising bloods, susceptibility to infection, etc.

Come on, change your set! It will make you feel better. And it only takes a few minutes!

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks RRB.
Hang in there Spiker
i had a few problem and used my pen to get round them.
i don't know if its pump,tube.or maybe a bad site.or me
it really mess up my BG results and i'm still on the trial period to meet targets so i can keep the pump.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Pumpsrs are told to bolus say 1 to 10g carb or change to 1 to 9g or 1 to 11g for example.

What you are not told is that you can actually change to 0.9u per 10g or 1.1 unit per 10g....

Sometimes it can seem simpler to bolus by pen.. But if the set is actually working and the basals are right, I can't see why the bolus's aren't working for you.

I agree totally with having to change stuff and not being bothered... Since the smaller cartridge and smaller battery etc with Insight pump it seems theres always something to recharge or change...constant...it bugs me a lot more than on the old combo pump.

Don't give up on it Spiker, you are normally so spirited and its not like you to be so fed up...

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree totally with having to change stuff and not being bothered... Since the smaller cartridge and smaller battery etc with Insight pump it seems theres always something to recharge or change...constant...it bugs me a lot more than on the old combo pump.

Don't give up on it Spiker, you are normally so spirited and its not like you to be so fed up...
RIght-oh. Thanks for the pick up, DD, I will be back to my normal optimistic and cantankerous self soon. :)

Reactions: 9 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I always thought you had a tough fighting spirit in you. It sad to read you're fed up.
I been like this a little on the Insight. Just purely because something crops up everyday!
Nithing due today besides charging handset... However was at GP's this morn and sort if threw my handbag over my shoulder and it hit my set in my bum. It must have jolted it in to muscle and it was such sharp pain I could have cried. I literally crunched up in pain. Receptionist was ready to get someone out to see me!! Told her I'd be ok. (They know me). So had to come home and take clothes off to change set...i should have just whipped the set out but I struggled on till I got home. It just reminded me though that very few people will ever experience this **** inconvenience and it made me a bit down because I didn't get a day off from changing something!!!!

As much as I do like the better levels I too get pump burn out on occasions.

Rant away!!! Then saddle up again Spiker!!!

Reactions: 4 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I realise this is a contentious suggestion, and admit my personal experience of a pump extends only as far as holding one before it was snatched out of my grubby paws, but....

Have you considered a pump holiday ? I know you were hacked off with the tubing issue and have had numerous hiccups with the beastie, so maybe it's an idea for you and the pump to have a break from each other for a wee while ?

I realise there are implications to this, and I'm only going on reading accounts from others who have taken a breather on MDI then got back on the saddle refreshed. Or something like that !:rolleyes:

Signy

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Hope you can get your troubles sorted soon Spike! I'm feeling a bit fed up on MDI at the moment as my sugars are just all over the place! :-(

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... However was at GP's this morn and sort if threw my handbag over my shoulder and it hit my set in my bum. It must have jolted it in to muscle and it was such sharp pain I could have cried. I literally crunched up in pain. ..

Know exactly what you mean, I put this cannula in on Sunday, no problems/discomfort on insertion, but there is something not right with it.

I can run with it, do weights, do the gardening, but going from sitting down to standing up produces a sharp, stabbing pain every time. It's ended up I think in a reasonably lean place and is either catching a stomach muscle or a nerve somewhere, but the site of the pain is remote from the cannula.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Know exactly what you mean, I put this cannula in on Sunday, no problems/discomfort on insertion, but there is something not right with it.

I can run with it, do weights, do the gardening, but going from sitting down to standing up produces a sharp, stabbing pain every time. It's ended up I think in a reasonably lean place and is either catching a stomach muscle or a nerve somewhere, but the site of the pain is remote from the cannula.

That's interesting, had the same happen when wearing the pod on my arm 2 weeks ago, it hurt a little when lifting anything and I would occasionally get a sharp stabbing pain even when just sitting down, after removing it the arm was still sore for a few days after so it must have been hitting a muscle or been aggravating a tendon or nerve.

@Spiker, don't get disheartened and give up, why not speak with your pump clinic and see if they have a solution to all the problems your experiencing.

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Spiker, it could well be the season for diabetes pump burnout and I 'get' the sheer frustration of having to change the whole flipping paraphernalia once again but really not wanting to go there. I'm currently at 18.4 giving my CGM a high intensity work out as my cannula failed, I tried a new area of unchartered territory for my cannula this am and then had to go out, forgetting to take alternatives - yes I know! The hospital I was at wanted blood tests for heavens sake with me saying how good my control is whilst rocking a giant 17.5.

Don't despair, if only there was some instant way of recognising a cannula wasn't doing its thing, now that would be an alarm I'd be grateful to hear. I hope things improve for you soon and your pump clinic can offer some wise words of advice.:)

Reactions: 3 people