gestational diabetes

Mags

Hello,
I had gestational diabetes with my first pregnancy which cleared up after the birth. Now I am pregnant again. I was referred to the hospital where I was told to keep my glucose levels below 7.8 one hour after eating. This I have done successfully for the past three months - whilst eating cakes, chocolate and biscuits. I therefore assumed that this time I was not a diabetic. I saw the diabetes consultant on Tuesday who told me that I was diabetic and that I had to start on insulin immediately. I found this somewhat upsetting given that there had been no glucose in my urine and my Hba1c results had actually significantly reduced over the last three months. I also have had no symptoms of high glucose levels after meals (drowsiness, polyuria, polydipsia).
What should I do? Is he right? Do I really have diabetes again? Or is he just assuming that I am because I was last time? I tried to discuss this with him but he was very rude and tried to emotionally blackmail me along the lines of 'this is good for the baby....'
Please help as I do not want to take insulin that I do not need (incidentally, I have now commenced a very strict low GI diet and my glucose levels one hour post meals are often well below 7).
Help!!!

Trinkwasser

The more clueful endos try to keep BG tightly controlled in diabetic mothers, seems like you have been caught in the crossfire between those who are lackadaisical about control and one who is more aggressive. The better ones try to keep BG in the fives hence tend to prescribe insulin earlier. It's possible that if they had been more proactive with you initially and given you tighter targets to aim for then you could have done more with dietary control.

Either way using insulin temporarily should benefit the both of you *and* may make it less likely that you develop permanent diabetes later, which can happen following gestational diabetes.

Mags

Thank you for your response. What I still don't understand is why my BG must be in the fives. I have not had a glucose tolerance test this pregnancy or a fasting blood test, so I don't understand how my endo can come to the conclusion that I am once again diabetic. Is he not just using probability as his point of reference?

Trinkwasser

Mags said:
Thank you for your response. What I still don't understand is why my BG must be in the fives. I have not had a glucose tolerance test this pregnancy or a fasting blood test, so I don't understand how my endo can come to the conclusion that I am once again diabetic. Is he not just using probability as his point of reference?

Uncontrolled or insufficiently controlled diabetes can have adverse effects on the baby as well as the mother, they can grow too fast and too big and this may make them prone to diabetes themselves as well as a complete ******* to deliver.

I was assuming he had at least got some blood test results to make his diagnosis from.

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I had gestational diabetes during my first pregnancy and never had it again... It goes away as soon as the baby is delivered, and almost always the baby has no problem with diabetes what so ever... I had to follow a pretty strict diet to avoid the insulin shots... It was hard at first with the cravings and all, but I got used to it... You will have to avoid sugar, even limit fruits as they contain natural sugars... but there are some good things you can get that are sugar free and splenda is safe during pregnancy.. also you will have to keep sodium to a minimum... kind of hard of first, but that too you can adjust to... I also had to follow a certain calorie count a day... But you know all of that wasn't as hard as it would have been to give myself a shot every day... The main problem with gestational diabetes is that the baby can get too big.. and that is why it's good to follow the diet and monitor the baby during pregnancy.... The worst thing I experienced was the occasional light sick shaky feeling from my sugar being low.. but a few sips of a soda makes that go away almost instantly.. Don't worry.. you and the baby will be fine... Congratulations on your pregnancy and best wishes ♥