How to make diagnosis easier?

APNP

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am an Advanced Paediatric Nurse Practitioner working in a general hospital in Scotland and I'd like to hear parents views about how the news was broken to you that your child had diabetes (Not necessarily just in scotland) Part of my job is making that diagnosis and I am likely to be the one who has to tell you the news. So please tell me your stories, the good and the bad. I (think) I can understand it is a shock to most, there is an enormous amount of information given to you, often too quickly and I'd like to understand better what the general feeling is to what you really need to know and when. This is for personal development only, not for publication however if you give me good ideas I'd like to share those with my colleagues. Please only contribute if you are happy for me to share your thoughts and feelings....and a big thankyou in advance. If you are happy for your child to contribute please encourage them to do so. I can only make a difference if I learn what's important to you all. Thanks again!

Reactions: 4 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
What a great post APNP :)
Hope loads of parents reply to you soon .

andiej

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
My son was diagnosed xmas eve, i'm not sure how the official diagnosis was delivered, we'd seen the diabetic nurse at our local gp surgery (she mainly deals with type 2 however), she wasn't expecting my son to have a high reading but tested to keep me happy more than anything, she gasped and said well that is a shock it's actually quite high we need to get you to the hospital. It might have been a shock to her but it wasn't to me, it was the reason why i was there, she didn't explain what would happen next and we headed to the hospital not really knowing what to expect. I think children need to hear it as fact but without drama. Along the lines of you have type 1 diabetes but don't worry we are going to help you or something similar. My sons main fear was having to stay in hospital, thankfully being xmas eve they let him go home that evening are 12 hours on the ward, the diabetic nurses at the hospital made him feel much better, they spent time just chatting with him, not about diabetes all the time, just getting to know him, that built trust and confidence and made the whole experience far more bareable.

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Well...when I finally went to the doctor it's because I just was not enjoying anything, I wasn't laying in bed all day feeling suicidal or missing work or anything dramatic I just felt angry all the time and not so much sad but just plain unhappy about everything. I was snappy and grouchy. so i went to the doc and they ask you if you want to hurt yourself or others and of course I only wanted to hurt others, kidding. and they prescribed some antidepressants, I did some talk therapy which I think is a great idea. Once I got over the stigma of it all I was find and I was pretty open with people which helped everyone know where i was comin from. Just talk to your doc they will fix you up, but try and at least figure out why you're feeling so bad and maybe you can talk it out with a counselor and work through it.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I am an Advanced Paediatric Nurse Practitioner working in a general hospital in Scotland and I'd like to hear parents views about how the news was broken to you that your child had diabetes (Not necessarily just in scotland) Part of my job is making that diagnosis and I am likely to be the one who has to tell you the news. So please tell me your stories, the good and the bad. I (think) I can understand it is a shock to most, there is an enormous amount of information given to you, often too quickly and I'd like to understand better what the general feeling is to what you really need to know and when. This is for personal development only, not for publication however if you give me good ideas I'd like to share those with my colleagues. Please only contribute if you are happy for me to share your thoughts and feelings....and a big thankyou in advance. If you are happy for your child to contribute please encourage them to do so. I can only make a difference if I learn what's important to you all. Thanks again!

Hello, I am a nana and my granddaughter was diagnosed at 2 1/2 years old, does that count too, as I used to look after her
( she is 6 now)
A fantastic thread, I hope you get lots of replies from parents, as it can be such devastating news.

Best wishes RRB

ivm18

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, my son was diagnosed more than a couple months ago. The diagnosis was told/confirmed by our Endo, and she was straight to the point at that time and we were then told that it was auto immune and we couldn't do anything to prevent it and it wasn't our fault that my son developed it.
I guess you should always be honest yet gentle on your approach to inform families about the diagnosis and always be ready for explanations, informations and suuport because newly diagnosed family has many
questions and doubts.
You know we were kinda lost during that time so we badly needed any information and knowledge on how to manage after we step out of the hospital.

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
A doctor will ask you tons of questions and most likely you will fill out a survey. The main criteria is if you have had depression symptoms for longer than 2 weeks.