Food choice struggles

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being diabetic, struggling with food choices
I'm a type 2 diabetic who does not test. I am really struggling to lose weight and feel this is down to struggling with food choices and not knowing if I am eating the right things throughout the day and making the correct snacking choices. I rarely eat when hungry and eat if bored.

Breakfast is usually low fat yoghurt with granola and frozen berries, lunch is a sandwich with salad and tea is a slimming world meal cooked by my wife. Snacks are apple banana and orange and a low calorie ceral bar. Supper is usually a few biscuits again not because I'm hungry just because I'm sat on computer or watching tv.

Cant seem to lose any weight currently at 20st 7lb and really need to lose at least 2st. As I get frustrated I tend to start snacking on chocolate bars which I know doesn't help and then lunch also becomes a free for all and will have a kfc or cheesy chips and gravy, this then leads to me being depressed as the poor choices made so I go into self destruct mode and snack on chocolate and biscuits.

Can anybody offer any advice. I leave for work at 530am and don't get home till 6pm. I realise most of the problem is with the choices I make but I don't seem to have the willpower to stop eating the wrong things. My body also doesn't seem to feel any difference no matter what I eat.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
The only way to find out what food is doing to you is to test, before you eat and 2 hours after. Think you will find that what you are now eating is doing you no good. You can buy a code free meter on eBay or Amazon, the strips are cheaper too.
Remember the only person responsible for your health is you.

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that you need to test.

I count carbs, not calories. This means that I'm never hungry because I can always grab some nuts or cheese as a snack. Having said that though, since I have cut the carbs I am much less hungry and an usually happy with 2 or 3 meals a day. The more carbs you eat the more you want.

Reactions: 2 people

lynne99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I would agree with Zand . If you cut down on your carbs you will want less. It is as though they are addictive :(

Tm6t7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel for you sir, yes do test..I'm on the LCHF lifestyle, I don't count anything, with things like full fat Greek yoghurt etc I feel fuller for longer, the slimming world meal is nearly correct but it's still carby at times, I too get up at silly o'clock and don't get home til late, as we are type 2s we have to plan a lot more than others, at work I usually have salad with cooked meat (usually from the night befores dinner) or frittata and salad (all good things ) breakfast is bacon and egg...a slice of soya and linseed bread toasted (sometimes)
Eating through boredom is a common problem, maybe try to find a hobby that occupies your mind for a while
Good luck on this journey and always ask questions, there's a lot of great people here who will offer support and advice

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm a type 2 diabetic who does not test. I am really struggling to lose weight and feel this is down to struggling with food choices and not knowing if I am eating the right things throughout the day and making the correct snacking choices. I rarely eat when hungry and eat if bored.

Breakfast is usually low fat yoghurt with granola and frozen berries, lunch is a sandwich with salad and tea is a slimming world meal cooked by my wife. Snacks are apple banana and orange and a low calorie ceral bar. Supper is usually a few biscuits again not because I'm hungry just because I'm sat on computer or watching tv.

Cant seem to lose any weight currently at 20st 7lb and really need to lose at least 2st. As I get frustrated I tend to start snacking on chocolate bars which I know doesn't help and then lunch also becomes a free for all and will have a kfc or cheesy chips and gravy, this then leads to me being depressed as the poor choices made so I go into self destruct mode and snack on chocolate and biscuits.

Can anybody offer any advice. I leave for work at 530am and don't get home till 6pm. I realise most of the problem is with the choices I make but I don't seem to have the willpower to stop eating the wrong things. My body also doesn't seem to feel any difference no matter what I eat.

................... and yet you take 4x500 mg metformin and 80 mg simvastation each day.!!! Get yourself a meter and some test strips and start testing.
Eat to your meter ,one day at a time ,and you will see your results improve. Record what you eat and the BG values you get in a diary .Your BG values will fall and you will lose weight. This will spur you on ,to stay on track . The first week is the most difficult, from then on it gets easier. Report your results and get encouragement from others , or share your difficulties so that you know that you are not alone.

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
.....cratat, is there any reason you don't test as you made a point of mentioning it...?

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Diabetic nurse told me that there was no reason to test

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
Honestly I despair of what some of these doctors/diabetic nurses say, am sure they say it because of the cost to the NHS, monitors ad strips always used to be prescribed but not so much now....you won't know which foods are raising your blood sugar unless you test...if you test your level before you eat, then one hour afterwards you will find out which foods are raising your blood sugar, then an hour after that to see whether its returned to normal. Most blood sugar monitor strips are quite expensive....I have the Codefree monitor which is available from Amazon or Homehealth and their strips are much cheaper, it would help you see which foods are affecting your levels. :)

Reactions: 4 people

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Diabetic nurse told me that there was no reason to test
hi cratat, its important to test and find what your blood glucose levels are when your diabetic type 1 or 2. Its also important to cut out the over indulgence in carbs. Carbs are an addiction you'll be snacking more because of the carb highs you will be going through with the biscuits, the granola you eat is very high in refined carbohydrate and so are the breads. Try and start incorporating low carb foods into your diet build them up one step at at time.

Last edited by a moderator:

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cant understand why people are obsessed with testing as I explained I dont feel any difference no matter what I eat my 3 monthly bloods are always in the very good to excellent range of control. I am hoping for advice on choosing correct food choices r u saying that I could be struggling to lose weight as my body is fighting the battle with sugar control. What is a low carb food surely there has got to be choices other than salad

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
Cant understand why people are obsessed with testing as I explained I dont feel any difference no matter what I eat my 3 monthly bloods are always in the very good to excellent range of control. I am hoping for advice on choosing correct food choices r u saying that I could be struggling to lose weight as my body is fighting the battle with sugar control. What is a low carb food surely there has got to be choices other than salad

I don't think we're obsessed with testing ! The majority of us just like to see which foods are raising our blood sugar levels to avoid medical problems in the long run. I never felt any different either when my levels were high but I do know they could have been harming me without my knowing. And now I know better.

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Pollylocks I wasn't having a go at anybody but I really want to get advice on food choices not just about testing

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Ok, bacon and eggs for brekkie. NO cereals. Coffee with double cream. No veg that grows underground, use cauliflower, sprouts, cabbage, etc. Meats of any description. Snack on eggs, cheese, pork scratchings. Its not about obsessing with testing, it helps to fine tune what you eat.
Don't fear the fat choose healthy fats, olive oil, avocado, cheeses etc. You will find eating low carb your weight will come down.
What are your readings by the way?
Also you seem to be on quite a lot of Metformin, which doesn't actually reduce your blood sugar, they work in a different way.

Reactions: 3 people

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
I don't think any one can just say 'eat this, this is it for you' you have to do some hard work...If you stick around and read some older threads you'll find out about the lc diets, i would also recommend searching the forums in the low carb area you will see some great recipes for you to make better choices with food its not all about salad :) but it can be tricky finding stuff that suits you. You will be hooked on your old ways of thinking, alot of our approach to food in the west is through addiction in order to break your old habits you are going to have to reevaluate, its no easy task and does take will power its a learning curve but an exciting one. There is a revolution going on with food right now and your right in the middle of it, welcome aboard. :)

Reactions: 2 people

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Should I worry about the sugar in fruit or is that ok

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Should have said, only berries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries. This is why testing is important, you can experiment and see what raises your levels.

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Should I worry about the sugar in fruit or is that ok
If your not testing how will you know? Fruits have fructose in that can raise your bg levels to a significant high that will be considered bad control. I would really recommend getting a meter for your own peace of mind and getting your GP to give you a prescription for the test strips and see what foods dramatically effect your personal bg levels and what don't, we are all different.

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am new to the LCHF journey, but I can say that granola, bananas, and whole apples are too carby for me to maintain good BS control.

I also work longer days, so I have to plan my meals the night before and pack a lunch & snacks. If you have food at the ready, you will be less likely to grab something that does not work with your plan. My husband and I also make extra at meal times and I eat on that for a couple of lunches too.

Breakfast- full fat yogurt with stevia and sliced almonds, eggs (fried, scrambled, etc.) with veggies and bacon or sausage, chia pudding and a piece of cheese. You can also make egg "muffins" in muffin tins that include veggies, cheese, and meat. I can eat on those for several breakfasts too.

Lunch- leftovers from the night before, salads, lettuce wraps with turkey, cheese & avocado, tuna/avocado salad, grilled chicken and veggies

Dinner- fish/chicken/beef/pork with 1-2 vegetables or 1 vegetable and berries or 1/2 apple

Snacks- any combination of the above. I have a thing for avocados, so eating one of those with salsa and sour cream on top is a treat and has staying power.

As far as testing, I know you have been told that it isn't necessary, but it is. Everyone's body reacts differently to foods, so you need to know how YOUR body responds to the foods you are eating. Then, either eliminate them or reduce the quantity. No one is obsessed, but they do see the value in testing.

Stick around, read the links and articles that the others suggested. You can do this...lose the weight and get better control.

Reactions: 6 people