big jump

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yesterday morning before breakfast my blood sugars were 8.2. Then 2 hours later they were still 8.2. I skipped lunch but when I tested they had gone to 13.2, the only thing I had yesterday afternoon was a cup of tea and I tested just after that and I was 18.5. that's a big jump with no food. I'm on 24u of levemir at night, but I increased that to 26 last night and I'm on 8u of novorapid before meals

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
What did you eat for breakfast

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi diabetic12yrs
those numbers actually sound to me as though maybe you have a cold or some other infection going on , or perhaps some additional stress.
i have posted a link for sick day rules for you to have a look at just in case

http://www.leicestershirediabetes.org.uk/uploads//documents/Type1 Sick_day_rules_InsulinV3.pdf

also -- without eating your blood sugar should stay fairly level if your basal is correct. here is a link to basal testing which you also may want to revisit

http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

keep posting and keep us up to speed on how you are getting on :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
How are you now, any drop in BS.? You could be coming down with something. Just keep checking. Good luck and all the best for a better day :)

RRB

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Yesterday morning before breakfast my blood sugars were 8.2. Then 2 hours later they were still 8.2. I skipped lunch but when I tested they had gone to 13.2, the only thing I had yesterday afternoon was a cup of tea and I tested just after that and I was 18.5. that's a big jump with no food. I'm on 24u of levemir at night, but I increased that to 26 last night and I'm on 8u of novorapid before meals
I would query as to whether your basal insulin is covering you for 24 hours. Perhaps in a day or two recheck and see if you have another rise that that. Obviously first discount as to whether you have an infection.

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would query as to whether your basal insulin is covering you for 24 hours. Perhaps in a day or two recheck and see if you have another rise that that. Obviously first discount as to whether you have an infection.

i thought maybe insulin resistance, or maybe too little levemir. i do have an ongoing problem that i have to see my gp about but im not sure if thats to do with diabetes

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi diabetic12yrs
those numbers actually sound to me as though maybe you have a cold or some other infection going on , or perhaps some additional stress.
i have posted a link for sick day rules for you to have a look at just in case

http://www.leicestershirediabetes.org.uk/uploads//documents/Type1 Sick_day_rules_InsulinV3.pdf

also -- without eating your blood sugar should stay fairly level if your basal is correct. here is a link to basal testing which you also may want to revisit

http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

keep posting and keep us up to speed on how you are getting on :)

iv got very poor control at the moment too, to get it under 10 in the morning was good for me but dissappointing seeing it rise, thought i was gonna have an under 10 day

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
i had a bagel with a couple of rashers(fat removed), lettuce and tomato, i had some lemon water and an apple afterwards. i am following slimming world

Wouldn't expect that meal to have a late bg spike but can't say for sure, but a lot of people find that levemir insulin doesn't give a full 24 hour coverage and have to split dose, by doing some basal checks you will find out either way.

Tomorrow morning have a low-fat breakfast early then start testing your bg four hours after and skip your lunch (and insulin dose) and keep testing your bg levels up to 4 - 5 pm, if your bg increases throughout the day then its likely that your levemir needs to be split-dosed, your DSN will advise you on how to do this.

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wouldn't expect that meal to have a late bg spike but can't say for sure, but a lot of people find that levemir insulin doesn't give a full 24 hour coverage and have to split dose, by doing some basal checks you will find out either way.

Tomorrow morning have a low-fat breakfast early then start testing your bg four hours after and skip your lunch (and insulin dose) and keep testing your bg levels up to 4 - 5 pm, if your bg increases throughout the day then its likely that your levemir needs to be split-dosed, your DSN will advise you on how to do this.

I spoke to my nurse this morning and she increased my lunchtime and evening doses of novorapid and told me to reduce back my levemir. I'm confused now because I'd rather have increased levemir

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I spoke to my nurse this morning and she increased my lunchtime and evening doses of novorapid and told me to reduce back my levemir. I'm confused now because I'd rather have increased levemir

I'm assuming you did not inject any rapid as no lunch eaten?
If this is the case then it's your basal that is out and again if you injected all that rapid and didn't eat then again your basal is very wrong.

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm assuming you did not inject any rapid as no lunch eaten?
If this is the case then it's your basal that is out and again if you injected all that rapid and didn't eat then again your basal is very wrong.

no i didnt take my novorapid. i think my levemir needs increasing istead of novorapid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I used to be on 16 units of Levemir before bedtime. Then after a consulktation with DSN she said I was on too much Levemir and to reduce by 2 units. I did this, 14, then again to 12, now I am on 11. But I do need more Novorapid Insulin with meals if I am more sedate and not active. But that is just me.
I thought it was strange that I should reduce Levemir, but it did actually work, and I reduced my carb intake as well, but I am not a low carber, just reduced.
What works for others , may not necessarily work for you, or me or another member. It's about trial and error with lots of tweaking.

Good luck and best wishes RRB

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
no i didnt take my novorapid. i think my levemir needs increasing istead of novorapid
Have you ever been taught to carb count and adjust your own insulin? If not you need to ask to go on a course to teach you to do this. Waking with blood sugars in the 8 and 10 range is way to high as well, so obviously you have a major issue with your basal insulin.
If you are cared! for at your GP surgery then please ask for a hospital referral, it's your sight, limbs and kidney's at risk not anyone else's with numbers that high.
As noblehead has already suggested, some basal testing is a must as it considering splitting your basal dose as it's not working for 24 hours.

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you ever been taught to carb count and adjust your own insulin? If not you need to ask to go on a course to teach you to do this. Waking with blood sugars in the 8 and 10 range is way to high as well, so obviously you have a major issue with your basal insulin.
If you are cared! for at your GP surgery then please ask for a hospital referral, it's your sight, limbs and kidney's at risk not anyone else's with numbers that high.
As noblehead has already suggested, some basal testing is a must as it considering splitting your basal dose as it's not working for 24 hours.

I downloaded and printed off some workbooks on carb counting but I'm getting no help with it off my nurses. Iv to wait and see my dietician

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Go along with what your DSN says and see what results you get, but you have to be mindful if you don't fancy lunch your still going to have to take a correction dose around that time of day to stop your bg climbing in the afternoon, it seems counter-productive to decrease your levemir when its likely that this is the cause of your high bg, but just see how you get on and report back to your DSN with your bg results.

If you've not got a great knowledge about carb counting register with the following, its an on-line carb counting course similar to DAFNE and by all accounts its very good:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bedtime blood sugar was 6.8 and woke to a blood sugar of 4.2, feeling a bit hypo on that. I didn't reduce my levemir though

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bedtime blood sugar was 6.8 and woke to a blood sugar of 4.2, feeling a bit hypo on that. I didn't reduce my levemir though
That's a very good result, perhaps now skip lunch and see what happens to your blood sugars.
You will feel hypo as your body isn't used to being normal. Give it time and you will adjust.