Carbohydrates

Knoxee99

Hi Folks,
Recently diagnosed, just think I have got my head around things and I read something else which totally throws me, when I have been shopping I have been looking at the sugar content, just read on another thread that should be looking on the carbohydrate content, can anyone explain what I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Hi Knoxee99. Always look at the total carbohydrate figure and ignore the "of which sugar" figure. Got me confused at first too.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi Folks,
Recently diagnosed, just think I have got my head around things and I read something else which totally throws me, when I have been shopping I have been looking at the sugar content, just read on another thread that should be looking on the carbohydrate content, can anyone explain what I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance
That's correct. It is the total carbohydrate number that you need to pay attention to. All carbs are converted to glucose within the body, but at different rates. Sugars (Sucrose and Dextrose) are converted much more quickly (high GI). Starches, typically, take a little while longer to process, but all end up ultimately as glucose.

On a label, in the UK it is the Total Carbohydrate or Carbohydrate figure. There is usually below this a statement which says "Of Which Sugars". The Carbohydrate number is the one you need, not just the sugars.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You should always look at the total carbohydrate content not just the sugar, as your body turns both to glucose.
Robbity

PS Tim just beat me to it and has given you more details...

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Knoxee, have a read of the links in my sig below - as said, it's not just sugar, carbs are the enemy despite what DNs might say about the Eatwell Plate and eating them with every meal.

Try and go for foods with no more than 10g total carbs per 100g, 5g if you can.

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep as all above. Your profile does not say if you are t1 or t2 or if you are on any meds, insulin etc...Remember that protein can also be converted to glucose. If on insulin it's around 0.6 x 1unit as a starting point. Hope this helps.