Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Hello everyone,

We had a rough, long winter here in Canada and exercising or even walking, was not easy.. I noticed that after seven months of confinement, fatigue was getting worse. Upon spring when going out for a walk every day, I got more energy. I know that this has been reported on many websites. Does anyone know why exercise eliminates so much fatigue in diabetics?

Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

Exercise has so many benefits, but the biggest one is that it makes it easier to control your blood glucose (blood sugar) level. People with type 2 diabetes have too much glucose in their blood, either because their body doesn’t produce enough insulin to process it, or because their body doesn’t use insulin properly (insulin resistant).

In either case, exercise can reduce the glucose in your blood. Muscles can use glucose without insulin when you’re exercising. In other words, it doesn’t matter if you’re insulin resistant or if you don’t have enough insulin: when you exercise, your muscles get the glucose they need, and in turn, your blood glucose level goes down.

If you’re insulin resistant, exercise actually makes your insulin more effective. That is—your insulin resistance goes down when you exercise, and your cells can use the glucose more effectively.

Exercise can also help people with type 2 diabetes avoid long-term complications, especially heart problems. People with diabetes are susceptible to developing blocked arteries (arteriosclerosis), which can lead to a heart attack. Exercise helps keep your heart healthy and strong. Plus, exercise helps you maintain good cholesterol—and that helps you avoid arteriosclerosis.

http://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/type-2-diabetes/type-2-diabetes-exercise

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hello everyone,

We had a rough, long winter here in Canada and exercising or even walking, was not easy.. I noticed that after seven months of confinement, fatigue was getting worse. Upon spring when going out for a walk every day, I got more energy. I know that this has been reported on many websites. Does anyone know why exercise eliminates so much fatigue in diabetics?

As you in Canada have long very cold winters we in the middle east have long very hot summers. I always preferred to walk outside but sometimes its just too hot. I have found that a treadmill is the best way to keep fit and active through the extreme weather periods, maybe worth your while also.

Reactions: 4 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you thought that your fatigue may be related to SAD?

At the moment I'm finding that exercise and fatigue go hand in hand, but this is a big week for me

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise has so many benefits, but the biggest one is that it makes it easier to control your blood glucose (blood sugar) level. People with type 2 diabetes have too much glucose in their blood, either because their body doesn’t produce enough insulin to process it, or because their body doesn’t use insulin properly (insulin resistant).

In either case, exercise can reduce the glucose in your blood. Muscles can use glucose without insulin when you’re exercising. In other words, it doesn’t matter if you’re insulin resistant or if you don’t have enough insulin: when you exercise, your muscles get the glucose they need, and in turn, your blood glucose level goes down.

If you’re insulin resistant, exercise actually makes your insulin more effective. That is—your insulin resistance goes down when you exercise, and your cells can use the glucose more effectively.

Exercise can also help people with type 2 diabetes avoid long-term complications, especially heart problems. People with diabetes are susceptible to developing blocked arteries (arteriosclerosis), which can lead to a heart attack. Exercise helps keep your heart healthy and strong. Plus, exercise helps you maintain good cholesterol—and that helps you avoid arteriosclerosis.

http://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/type-2-diabetes/type-2-diabetes-exercise

Thank you so much for the great information catherinecherub; it is odd that activity reduces the glucose, isn't it.
Lots of great info. here. I appreciate it.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

At the moment I'm finding that exercise and fatigue go hand in hand, but this is a big week for me

ElyDave -- yes there was depression along with fatigue, but that could be higher glucose, right? SAD is common with any medical state.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
As you in Canada have long very cold winters we in the middle east have long very hot summers. I always preferred to walk outside but sometimes its just too hot. I have found that a treadmill is the best way to keep fit and active through the extreme weather periods, maybe worth your while also.
That;'s interesting Pasha. I did read that extreme weather in general is bad for glucose equilibrium. I think an endocrinologist would be able to explain that.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Also just being outside in the fresh air and exercising gives you are feeling of well-being, you don't get the same feeling stuck indoors.

Reactions: 3 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also just being outside in the fresh air and exercising gives you are feeling of well-being, you don't get the same feeling stuck indoors.

Oddly enough, I was thinking the opposite, cycling through the Fens today, I was thinking how isolated it would have been just 300 years ago when populations were a fraction of what they are now. But perhaps back then pre-industrial-revolution, there were more localised pockets of people working the land, tighter, but smaller communities.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I am in Canada as well and after many years of giving up running during the winter I joined a local gym with a 430 m indoor track. Perhaps you could see if there is something similar near where you live or just go to an indoor mall and walk. It's not quite the same as running/walking outside, but it's better than nothing.

karencymru

I walk indoors when weather is awful . Look up Leslie Sansone on YouTube for indoor walks, from easy 1 mile through to Five fast miles.
Prefer to be outdoors, but allows me to still walk at pace when weather is unsuitable or I don't fancy other types of exercise. I'm sure there are others, and she is very positive and upbeat, which may not suit everyone!

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Am anaemic and had two iron infusions but I have not stopped my walking routine.... out four times a day with the dogs clocking up around 7 miles a day so fatigue or not i still went out..laughs.. must admit did not feel like it at times but hey them sugar levels need to be controlled if i want to eat

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oddly enough, I was thinking the opposite, cycling through the Fens today, I was thinking how isolated it would have been just 300 years ago when populations were a fraction of what they are now. But perhaps back then pre-industrial-revolution, there were more localised pockets of people working the land, tighter, but smaller communities.
Total population of England was lower than now in 17th - 19th centuries, but most fen cottages were home to a family with more children than now. Eg look at exhibition cottage at Wicken Fen. In mediaeval times, Wisbech and Kings Lynn were important ports, while Norwich was second richest town after London, due to wool trade. When people met, walking, riding horses or in carts, they could talk, unlike when passing at high speed in metal boxes called cars.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Total population of England was lower than now in 17th - 19th centuries, but most fen cottages were home to a family with more children than now. Eg look at exhibition cottage at Wicken Fen. In mediaeval times, Wisbech and Kings Lynn were important ports, while Norwich was second richest town after London, due to wool trade. When people met, walking, riding horses or in carts, they could talk, unlike when passing at high speed in metal boxes called cars.

The car has changed the demographic map of social interaction. Actually, we do not have a car. It's just that this particular winter was a record breaker, and even with diabetes you were warned not to go outside for longer than 5 minutes due to frostbite risk.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I am in Canada as well and after many years of giving up running during the winter I joined a local gym with a 430 m indoor track. Perhaps you could see if there is something similar near where you live or just go to an indoor mall and walk. It's not quite the same as running/walking outside, but it's better than nothing.

This winter as you probably know was wicked. I suppose I could go to the YMCA, but I have to lug my diabetes equipment and stick to my eating schedule, and walk there in a blizzard. Yeach. I like your Aurelius quote.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

That's what I was thinking as well, but as you know the Fens are desolate in winter when that North wind is blowing with nothing between you and Siberia to stop it. I can't imagine people stopping to talk for long.

I was on my bike yesterday by the way, struggling into the wind.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
This winter as you probably know was wicked. I suppose I could go to the YMCA, but I have to lug my diabetes equipment and stick to my eating schedule, and walk there in a blizzard. Yeach. I like your Aurelius quote.
What is your diabetes equipment?

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
What is your diabetes equipment?
My meter, which is delicate l-- ugging it around, my lancet gun, water bottle, pills, glucose emergency food. I know these things are not many, but it is important to avoid lows in particular and that means take out the meter. That's hard while you are walking from home to the Y. Also, you have to shower after there and just make sure your time schedule is accurate. I just found going out *this* particular winter hard. Maybe next winter I can at least walk in my spacesuit. :)

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My meter, which is delicate l-- ugging it around, my lancet gun, water bottle, pills, glucose emergency food. I know these things are not many, but it is important to avoid lows in particular and that means take out the meter. That's hard while you are walking from home to the Y. Also, you have to shower after there and just make sure your time schedule is accurate. I just found going out *this* particular winter hard. Maybe next winter I can at least walk in my spacesuit. :)

I managed to carry that stuff with me for 75km on the bike today, I'll also manage to carry it to an oilrig on Monday.

We can make diabetes an excuse if we want, or we can take charge of it.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

ElyDave, your photo reveals your character. We are all different. Sometimes we have osteopathic problems too.