A Nice cup of tea.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh how I now miss a nice cup of tea, many friends told me that after 3 months of tea without sugar I would never again want sugar in my tea.
But I'm sorry I still find that tea without sugar does not refresh or is as enjoyable, and I'm at a loss what to drink, fruit flavoured tea is not an option I have tried them.

Any thoughts.

Reactions: 4 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh how I now miss a nice cup of tea, many friends told me that after 3 months of tea without sugar I would never again want sugar in my tea.
But I'm sorry I still find that tea without sugar does not refresh or is as enjoyable, and I'm at a loss what to drink, fruit flavoured tea is not an option I have tried them.

Any thoughts.
I feel your pain...not really going to taste the same without sugar is it. Have you tried any of the various sugar alternatives?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Any thoughts.

I could not do without my cuppa, I like mine black, strong, no milk, no sugar.
That way I can have green tea, black tea, Earl Grey, Assam etc.
Milk destroys tea!
Try cream instead of milk!

Reactions: 2 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I used to have sugar in my tea many moons ago then decided to stop having it maybe was dieting at the time and I just love my mugs of tea now ..I have soya milk in it though as do not like cows milk :depressed:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm afraid I disagree, tea tastes so much nicer without sugar or sweeteners, you get to taste the true flavour of the tea as opposed to the sweetness.

I also love drinking green tea, if you do decide to try it make sure to buy a good quality tea (Holland & Barrett do an excellent one called Double Dragon) and not some of the cheap supermarket brands such as Clipper.

Reactions: 9 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm afraid I disagree, tea tastes so much nicer without sugar or sweeteners, you get to taste the true flavour of the tea as opposed to the sweetness.

I also love drinking green tea, if you do decide to try it make sure to buy a good quality tea (Holland & Barrett do an excellent one called Double Dragon) and not some of the cheap supermarket brands such as Clipper.
I think this known as some kind of internet deja vue!

Reactions: 4 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
The day I was diagnosed I walked home from the surgery in shock, the first thing I did was make a cup of tea and there and then decided no more sugar for me. It took a while before I started enjoying a sugarless cuppa but now a year on I can't imagine and don't think I could stomach a cuppa with sugar. Strange how tastes can change so easily

Reactions: 10 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Black tea, cocoa nibs and hazelnut extract in a tea bag. Nothing too awful ingredient wise!
Will have to try that, sounds nice. I like Chai with a splash of cream. It doesn't need sugar. Yorkshire Brew and Assam are great too. Got out of the sugar in tea and coffee habit many moons ago, long before diagnosis.

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Green tea for me or earl Gray. I seem to be able to just stop craving or eating and drinking things that could be a bad idea for us diabetes. I have them as a not very often treat such as birthday cake that my son has just killed off.. :mad:

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Green tea for me or earl Gray. I seem to be able to just stop craving or eating and drinking things that could be a bad idea for us diabetes. I have them as a not very often treat such as birthday cake that my son has just killed off.. :mad:

Happy Birthday then, if it was your cake .....!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Any thoughts.

I completely agree with you, I've tried for years to enjoy ordinary tea without sugar but I just can't. Most sweeteners taste awful but I've discovered http://www.totalsweet.co.uk/ is better than most in tea and I can enjoy it. I get it in tesco but i think it's widely available now. I drink lots of other teas too, but there's nothing like a good old cuppa ;)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I still have sugar and milk in my tea.
I use that half sugar stuff and have less than a third of a teaspoon.
I have quite a few cups through the day and it causes me no problems.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I still have sugar and milk in my tea.
I use that half sugar stuff and have less than a third of a teaspoon.
I have quite a few cups through the day and it causes me no problems.

I used that for a while, tasted good but I found myself drinking more and more ordinary tea instead of the green tea I was used to, but while my BG was so high I needed to cut out all sugar. So now it's just the xylitol.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
we all have different tastes ..... myself I prefer no sugar in tea and enjoy it especially first thing in a morning...starts my day off just :pright

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
What I did when I was first diagnosed (a lifetime ago now) and have done again more recently when I've cut a lot of carbs, is to do it gradually, wean yourself off and allow your taste buds time to adjust and be re-educated. I used to have a spoon of sugar in black coffee, but first I swapped to a smaller soon, then only ¾ of it, then half etc. until I found I was fine without.

Recently I went onto Greek yogurt with seeds at breakfast, but didn't much like the taste, so added a small spoon of currants initially, then gradually less until after a week I stopped them entirely and now love it just as it is.

Dropping sugar entirely after a long time taking it is a shock to the tastebuds that you're unlikely to find acceptable in one stage, so wean yourself off it more gradually.

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
j love my first cup in the morning .i like it. strong and a little sweet. just like my woman. But only have one sugar and one sweetener and i do count the carbs about 3 + my egg and toast i call it 20 carbs