New Type 1 and Islet Cell

LittleMark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello. I am 30 years old and last month was unexpectedly diagnosed as type 1. I am on a carb counting regime with novo rapid and 20 units of Lantus every 24hrs. My diagnosis was unexpected with no clear symptoms. In fact my trip to the doctor was due to unlinked back pain and my diagnosis was only made after a routine blood test! They think due to a healthy life I have "self medicated".

Since my diagnosis was and been placed on insulin I have felt the worst I have in years. I have no energy and feel unwell most days. I have done a lot of research and keep coming across islet cell transplantation. Does anyone know about this? Is it long term? Effectively a cure? Most articles seem very optimistic about this as a routine future treatment and I hope that I may be suitable one day.

Thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi and welcome to the forum Mark :)

The following explains what's involved with Islet Transplantation but the downside is the anti-rejection drugs as the article says:

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with...ation.html?referrer=https://www.google.co.uk/

Keep a detailed bg diary and go back and see your DSN and show them your diary if you continue to be unwell, it does take weeks and often months to get bg levels under control.

Reactions: 3 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm afraid you need to forget islet cell transplantation for many years and accept that insulin is the way to go for now. You should not be feeling unwell at all on insulin unless you have a very unusual reaction to it. Do see the GP if you continue to feel unwell as it is probably not related to the diabetes.

Reactions: 2 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and welcome :)

Just a thought - there are other avenues to explore before even considering transplantation, the anti rejection drugs are really not nice to take . :confused: It may be that the reason you are not feeling well is the Lantus, though some people do really well on it, there is a number of us that really don't get on with it . I'll tag @tim2000s to help me out with the links to threads on this, as I can't search very well on my phone. Sorry Tim !:rolleyes:

If this rings some bells with you, it's well worth asking your DSN or consultant to switch you to another long acting insulin, Levemir and Tresiba for example .

Signy

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Islet cells transplation is certainly not an easy option and rarely considered unless you are expecting unrecognised hypo's. You would certainly have to be suffering for years too.
A relative of mine used to organise them for Scotland and is now setting up a tissue bank for the maltese govt... From knowing details from him I would suggest you go back to your Consultant... (As a T1 you are best registerd with a consultant and not a GP) and find out how you can feel better..

Reactions: 2 people