Headaches

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Hi doctor put me on atorvastatin last week to help control my bs levels they seem to be doing their job ,but i am waking up with headaches which go on most of the morning i was reading that one of the side effects was headaches ,feels like i have this little man in side my head with a hammer i have another doctors appointment on the 1st of june an y advice please.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi doctor put me on atorvastatin last week to help control my bs levels they seem to be doing their job ,but i am waking up with headaches which go on most of the morning i was reading that one of the side effects was headaches ,feels like i have this little man in side my head with a hammer i have another doctors appointment on the 1st of june an y advice please.
Atorvastatin is a statin which, if it's anything like the affect that statins had on me, will increase rather than reduce your BS levels!! It could be the stations that are giving you your headache as they do have various, sometimes serious, side effects. I stopped taking mine because as well as increasing my BS levels they made me feel dizzy. Have a look at the manufacturer's own website and it will tell you what side effects to expect.

Reactions: 2 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Daphne917 thanks for the advice looked at the web site and headaches are one of the many side effects will keep an eye on things and if the headaches get too bad will go back to the doctor.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, statins have nothing to do with diabetes and will increase your blood sugar a bit. If they are giving you headaches I would discuss stopping them with the GP.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Would paracetamol help with the pain?
It is one of the only painkillers I can take, especially for headaches, flu or colds.

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tried just about every thing nothing works will go back and see doctor on tuesday.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hope you soon are free of the headaches I know they can upset the day when waking with one ....I have had one periodically never thought about statins causing them though :confused:

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It starts off as a dull ache and just builds from there i can feel it starting now .

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just be careful taking statins. I was put on simvastatin and after 2 tablets I had really bad headache and became really 'sick'. Surgery then tried another statin and I became worst. Locum doc took me off statins after having to give me very strong tablets to get rid of extreme headaches. Don't take anything now.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Daphne917 thanks for the advice looked at the web site and headaches are one of the many side effects will keep an eye on things and if the headaches get too bad will go back to the doctor.
If the headache has only been there since you started the statins they could be what's causing it however it might not be - why not ring the NHS helpline for advice or go back to your GP tomorrow

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Will go back to doctors tomorrow unless it gets too bad was going to work later but will see.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I think you might have misunderstood what your doctor prescribed them for or your doctor is even worse than mine!

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi went back to doctor today he told me they are tension headaches but lay off the statins for a week just in case. got a nother telling off about self testing and smoking ,its the only pleasure i get these days apart from getting a cuddle from the girlfriend but dont tell the wife LOL.