A Nice cup of tea.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What I did when I was first diagnosed (a lifetime ago now) and have done again more recently when I've cut a lot of carbs, is to do it gradually, wean yourself off and allow your taste buds time to adjust and be re-educated. I used to have a spoon of sugar in black coffee, but first I swapped to a smaller soon, then only ¾ of it, then half etc. until I found I was fine without.

Over many years I've gone from 2 tsps to 1 tsp to half tsp, but I just cannot do without that half a tsp, it makes so much difference!

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Sitting here sipping green tea with the juice of half a lemon just now.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have my tea black with a slice of lemon it takes the bitter edge off the tea and is very refreshing.The down side is carrying a slice of lemon or two when you go out to tea !
CAROL

lizzi51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like Orange Pekoe tea (which doesn't taste of orange!). It tastes OK with or without milk, as it's less bitter than most black teas.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Over many years I've gone from 2 tsps to 1 tsp to half tsp, but I just cannot do without that half a tsp, it makes so much difference!
My Daughter is the same, she went from one spoon to about six grains and cannot go without although I do wonder how she can taste them, literally the very tiny end of the spoon. I went cold turkey from day one and hated it but got used to it. I have quite weak black tea and it's even better without the sugar and very refreshing

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh how I now miss a nice cup of tea, many friends told me that after 3 months of tea without sugar I would never again want sugar in my tea.
But I'm sorry I still find that tea without sugar does not refresh or is as enjoyable, and I'm at a loss what to drink, fruit flavoured tea is not an option I have tried them.

Any thoughts.
Hi Roy,
I think you'll be amazed how your taste buds are going to adapt to a reduced sugar intake... things that you really never thought of as sweet as going to be.... well, sweet. I've given up counting how many times I make the observation to my wife, " the xxx is sweet".... the last time it was broccoli.... I now find semi skimmed a bit too sweet for tea! Try a range of "other" teas, green, Yunnan, lap-sang, our local tea merchant's best blend actually is amazing...
wish you luck in your search as a cup of tea is important.
Hj

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
That Lap-sang tastes like something that's been lurking in the bottom of some old wellies for years.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That Lap-sang tastes like something that's been lurking in the bottom of some old wellies for years.
That lap sang supplier, is he ok? Some suppliers think that supplying bags of dust is ok. :(

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, can only suggest trying different sweeteners to hopefully find one you like. Different shops have different brands so it's worth shopping around. Otherwise try reducing the amount you have. Only other thing might be to try different teas as a different blend might taste better with sweetener? Hope you find something you like, I love a good cuppa