. I had no idea about Diabetes until ten years back when I had to do a medical
examination for a job. The doctor noticed my level was high about
9.00. He recommended metformin and Dianol and after taking the
medicine for a week and went back to check it had dropped to 5. The
doctor said I was ok but did not warn me that the figures could rise
again if I did not live a healthy life style. With the lab results I
stopped taking the medication and I felt ok there after until 7 years
later I started feeling some unusual sensations in my hands and
fingers. I arranged for medical exam the results was too bad ie 15.00. This time
round I decided not to go for the metformin but resulted to local herbal concoctions and I
became ok when I checked.
I then started seeking information about diabetics and my conclusion
was that DBTs was a diet and unhealthy lifestyle problem . Infact a
friend doctor just said I should reduce my weight by exercising and
stop eating late and reduce alcohol and cut down on foods like bread
eggs red meat etc etc and things will be ok. Anytime I did this the
figures will be ok around 6 to 7. but when I became careless it went
up to 9,12 14 .
Just before I travelled to the UK I was combating it with a juice
prepared with celery, cucumber, and Bitter Melon. I was taking the
juice every day and I left Ghana to the UK with figures ranging
between 5.7 to 6.7.
When I got to the UK my wife made sure I was not hungry and fed me
like a child. In the morning I took a plate full of vegetables and
slices of toasted bread and a plate of oats as breakfast. Around 2 pm
was some yam and plantains( carbohydrate stuff) and stew with a lot of meat and in the
evening even though I was full I had to take some wine or whisky to
give me appetite to take rice and meat stew etc etc. Because of the
cold weather I could not go out for a walk .After a meal I will just
slump into a chair and watch television. This continued for two weeks
and I started feeling that I was becoming heavy.
I reached for my Blood Glucose meter and the reading was 13.00.
I was not surprised due to the inactivity and the type of food and
quantity etc.
I decided to do something about it. I got myself cucumber, celery,
Broccoli, carrots ,Kale lettuce, cabbage green apples, ginger and for 3 days I decided to make
smoothie and juice from any of the combinations above and drunk twice
or thrice a day and on the 4th day I checked again and I had shed some
kilos and the reading was 5.7.
In view of the dramatic drop I was afraid if I continued it may fall
below 4.or 3 so I stopped and went back eating again . After 7 days I
checked and it shot up to 7.2. in two days time I got 9.9. I then
became confused and said what was happening. The rate at which it shot
up and shot down dramatically and rose again within short periods is
what confuses me.
The weather has become warm and I have started walking and sweating
and I have gone back to more vegetables and take gluten free Oats
with strawberry, blue berries and raspberries and nuts like cashew,
hazzle nuts, Brazilian nuts, and almonds.
I have not gone back to the meter but after checking my weight I feel
I am getting better.
Can anyone suggest reasons why the figures change quite rapidly within short period of time and what healthy food should I take to be fine.
ADDEI

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As you have been diagnosed for quite a while and you have tried various ways of reducing your blood glucose levels.
You do know what's causing your problems.
Mainly too many carbs,
Also your probably eating too much,
Have you had your hba1c done recently?
If you have a meter are you testing correctly as recommended, before eating and 2 hours after first bite?
Do you keep a food diary? Have a record of your blood glucose levels.
You can't just ignore the condition because you feel better, and then worry when you feel ill again.
This condition is for life and control is the key to unlock longer and healthier lives.

Have a look at the low carb forum and the success stories. These will give you an idea on how to approach control. I've tagged @daisy1 for the welcome information, read it and join in on the forum, there is plenty going on.
If you have any questions, ask them, there is always someone knowledgeable to answer you.

Welcome.

Reactions: 5 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@ADDEI

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I realise that you have had diabetes for a long time, but I think some of this information which we give to new members could be helpful to you. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe eating far too much and way too many carbs is causing the problem.....I am new to it all myself but I have learned that too many carbs causes havoc with BG....also the amount of food eaten is a lot more than it should be? I am sure that many here will know the answers...but this one is just what my thoughts are...hopefully if they are correct then I really have learned something too by listening to the brilliant advice that you will find here.....good luck :)

Reactions: 2 people

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be worth weighing foods so that you know how much you are eating, there are various apps which can keep a track on the calories you are taking in, and ensure you know how this breaks down into carbs and other areas.

A check of your height and weight can show you whether you are a healthy weight or not. If you are a healthy weight this is great and you just need to watch what foods you eat.

Your meter will be able to help you learn what foods work for you and what you need to cut back on or try to avoid.

Loads of useful stuff on the site and some recipes to make your mouth water.

Hope you find the right balance soon

Reactions: 4 people