What to put in a Sharps Bin?

iamBlair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! I have a quick question about Sharps Bins...

What are you actually supposed to put in them?

I normally inject, place the inside cap back on the needle and then the bigger cap on top of that and put that in the sharps bin. Am I doing it wrong? Should I just be putting the needle in without any of the caps?

Thank you! :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Just the needle will do and your lancet from testing. After all it does say sharps :)

Reactions: 2 people

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd personally put one of the caps back on the needle, just for your own protection in handling it to the sharps bin and subsequently dropping stuff into it. I've given myself a gouge on two occasions (one finger, one belly) just handling the needle because I just mis-judged where it was in space. The needle itself is so fine they're hard to see.

My DN trained me to put the larger cap back on for just this reason, as the small one is harder to place back over it as it's a close fit.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I put the main outside cap on the needles (stabbed myself many times messing with the inner cap) and the needle goes in.
Used cancets also go in.
It is probably overkill having both the cap and also into the sharps bin but rather that than someone trying to sue me.

/A