Contraception and type 1

JWdxxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice
I have had type one diabetes for 15 years (since I was 4) and I have the early stages of background retinopathy (it's not anything that needs treating) which is my only slight complication.
I recently started taking the combined oral contraceptive pill for painful periods which made me sick and effected my blood sugar control and for contraception, I was wondering whether or not the pill would have any impact on my diabetes and whether it's suitable to take when I have background retinopathy?
Thanks for any help in advance

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hello. First of all I am extremely shocked that your doctor allowed the combined pill. I am on the mini pill because it doesn't effect blood sugar and blood pressure as much. My doctor told me I should never go on the combined because it can be dangerous for us. I definitely suggest talking to your GP about the minipill. I'm on cerazette and haven't had a period in over a year. It is bliss!

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The pill and mini pill can both affect blood sugar, requiring some adjustment to insulin doses

I'm afraid I don't know anything about possible effects on retinopathy.

JWdxxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know a few diabetics also on the combined pill however I don't think they have ever experienced and complications
I think I will visit my doctor and ask for a change to the Mini pill, have you experienced any difficulties with it? I heard it can often cause constant bleeding which worries me slightly

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's a LONG time since I used it but I had no problems, other than having to increase my basal slightly.