recovery possibility ?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Can you let us know your age and weight? With an HBa1C that high you need to be on more medication. If not overweight and possibly younger you may be a Late onset T1 where the pancreas starts failing to produce enough insulin. Metformin will then be of minimal help and tablets such as Gliclazide (Diamicron in the US?) may help as it stimulates the pancreas. There are two tests for LADA that can help diagnose it. If you are a LADA then tablets will help for a while; possibly years as they did for me, but in the end insulin may be needed which isn't a problem and a welcome release from starving yourself.

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Coastal! I am American too and started out with a similar A1C. I was diagnosed at the end of November with an A1C of 11.0, but started LCHF (still finding my way) and my last A1C was 7.0. I know it can go lower and I am working on it...actually, looking forward to my next A1C.

Originally, my physician wanted to start me on insulin, but due to the fact that my A1C was normal a year prior, after the birth of my child, he felt that we could manage it with 1000mg Metformin/daily and Bydureon. I was on Bydureon for a few months, but stopped it when I started having problems with my gallbladder (ruling out pancreatitis, which is a complication of Bydureon). Around the same time I stopped it (with his knowledge), I started LCHF at <30 grams carbs a day. My BS's (and weight) continues to drop despite being on Metformin only. Food is medicine. :)

This is a fantastic forum! Everyone here is welcoming and helpful and I am so thankful for the tips, advice, and helpful resources that have been sent my way. You will be glad you joined.

This is a helpful tool to navigate the UK values versus the US values. http://www.endmemo.com/medical/unitconvert/Glucose.php

And if you are trying to figure out how many calories, fat, protein grams you should be eating for your height/weight/age, Brunneria and Lucy pointed me to this site. http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/DietMakeupCalc.php

And read Daisy's post with attention to detail. Great information!

Coastal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks vintageutopia I appreciate the point to re read daisys post and the links...

Daibell I'm 63 and 220 lbs... Definitely overweight... What age did you start insulin?

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome....sounds like you're doing a good job and making the changes you need to. Low carb seems to make everyone feel so much better...encourages weight loss and a feeling of general well being....not to mention lowering BG levels. I consider that I eat low carb but do eat vegetables...I consider them 'free carbs' as I feel they are healthy and needed to a great extent to keep everything moving as it should if you get my drift ;) Obviously choosing the 'grown above ground' ones as advised in the LCHF way of eating (Low carb High fat ) I too am hoping to avoid my type 2 progressing any further with sensible eating and exercise. I know I will probably always have to eat the way I am now but have to admit that being diagnosed has probably done me a huge favour in as much as my body and mind now feel so much better from eating a better diet

Reactions: 4 people

Coastal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome....sounds like you're doing a good job and making the changes you need to. Low carb seems to make everyone feel so much better...encourages weight loss and a feeling of general well being....not to mention lowering BG levels. I consider that I eat low carb but do eat vegetables...I consider them 'free carbs' as I feel they are healthy and needed to a great extent to keep everything moving as it should if you get my drift ;) Obviously choosing the 'grown above ground' ones as advised in the LCHF way of eating (Low carb High fat ) I too am hoping to avoid my type 2 progressing any further with sensible eating and exercise. I know I will probably always have to eat the way I am now but have to admit that being diagnosed has probably done me a huge favour in as much as my body and mind now feel so much better from eating a better diet

Coastal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Gezzabelle
I get your drift on motion... But Clearly I've much to learn... I noted carbs on peas last night (its early morning in hawaii right now) as being 12 per cup so I've got some watching to do....am concerned about Daibells note on LADA but I'm hoping like others I've seen here I can successfully impact these higher numbers

Reactions: 2 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Gezzabelle
I get your drift on motion... But Clearly I've much to learn... I noted carbs on peas last night (its early morning in hawaii right now) as being 12 per cup so I've got some watching to do....am concerned about Daibells note on LADA but I'm hoping like others I've seen here I can successfully impact these higher numbers
That's half the problem...the 'hidden carbs' in what you think is low in value. I also have issues with too much protein having a bad effect on my BG levels. I assumed wrongly that it was okay to eat a lot of it but when I test after 2 hours I see a much bigger increase in BG than I thought I would. So ''eating to your meter'' is probably the best advice you can take on board. If you test your levels on rising and then before and 2 hours after eating you will soon spot what foods spike your BG and maybe then be able to cut them down or take them out if need be. It's a minefield but with patience and a lot of help from this forum it can be much easier than you think at first. Small changes can make huge differences :)

Coastal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gezz....thanks for the hint on protein never thought of that...I need a meter! Years ago I did the no carb protein diet and it settled my triglycerides etc hoping it will help this time... But this time I need to watch more closely....

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the US, you shouldn't have any difficulty getting a meter through your physician's office. Often, the meters are free, but name-brand strips are fairly expensive...even with insurance. I ended up buying my own meter (Meijer brand), because the strips are convenient to pick up with my groceries and less expensive than what I would pay through my insurance. Plus, sometimes Meijer will offer Buy One Get One 50% off. Then, I stock up!

Jo123

You really need to watch your vegetables, and also fruit, initially I cut out all fruit. I was luckily enough to be caught at prediabetic levels and now I can tolerate a few more carbs without spiking but originally I was very strict. Buy a book on food values that will really help.
Personally I am very cautious about fat, my LDL levels increased when I increased my fats, so I only increased foods containing 'good' fats, olive oil, fish, nuts etc. Plus fats are very high in calories.

Morgawr2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,
I was diagnosed type 2 last December. I have had progressive Spondylosis since I was 18 and I'm now almost 60 (puts teeth back in and squints closer to keyboard). I saw the doctor about prolapsed discs in my neck which were just beginning to play up and, at the end of the consultation, she dropped in 'by the way, the diabetes nurse wants to see you. Seems that you've got diabetes'. I didn't know what to say, just 'alright, I'll make an appointment'.
How do you know if you're doing the right thing if you have no means of checking? I was told not to bother with a meter and to just refer to the (very helpful) booklet they gave me and turn up for 6 monthly checks.
I bought a CodeFree meter anyway as they seemed to have good reviews and the strips were less than half the price of others. My BG is now averaging 5.4 and I feel better except for neuropathy in my feet and hands, which I had before from my spine. The diabetes is now teaming up with the back trouble and they're having a great time keeping me awake at night. Now I have to get up two or three times a night for the toilet as well.
It certainly is a case of in at the deep end and learn fast. Still, I have found a lot of great information here, thanks all.

Coastal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Vintageutopia I love your quote " food is medicine." I say it to myself everyday ...got a meter today will start reading tomorrow....

Coastal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Daubed and anyone else here...how high were you at diagnosis? Anybody as high as me?

Morgawr2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's one thing they have never told me, despite asking. Can't understand their reticence; surely that should be the first bit of information. I suppose that, as they advise against testing yourself, they think you don't need to know. It's all so confusing when you're still in a state of shock.

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Vintageutopia I love your quote " food is medicine." I say it to myself everyday ...got a meter today will start reading tomorrow....

Me too. It reminds me that food can be healing when eaten appropriately.

As far as your A1C, I was almost as high as you at diagnosis. I was 11.0.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Daubed and anyone else here...how high were you at diagnosis? Anybody as high as me?
Hi,
I was told mine was 18 (324 from the chart) and my HbA1c was 95 or 11% so similar to yours. That was Feb this year. My HbA1c was 50 in May and my fasting blood sugars are normally in the 5's and 6's (90-120). I'm doing this through diet, weight loss and exercise. Not there yet as it's only been 3 months but progress. I did a lot of reading of this website and I'm sure there are people with a lot more experience than me who will be able to help you. I'm still making mistakes but learning from them.