Trauma and resultant "complications"

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Reading a comment by @Robinredbreast and after experiences of my own I thought a topic regarding this would be useful to people.

Following a sprained ankle last year, I was pretty sure that I suffered some form of nerve damage to my ankle/foot as I was feeling a lot of pins and needles on the upper part of my foot. In the period since I did that, I've had my BG level under pretty good control, with Hba1C around 6.0 and SD around 2.3. What I've noticed is that I still have these tingling sensations and that when my BG rises above 8.5, they are far stonger than under normal circumstances.

Now my other foot doesn't suffer from these things, so I am certain it is related to the ankle sprain, however it is very frustrating that a trauma has delivered something that I thought I was managing well to avoid. Such is the T1's lot. I find it hard to classify them as "Diabetic Complications" as without the trauma (i.e. the control being the other foot) I doubt that there would be anything there. They are however, compications, and I'm sure that they are there because the Big D causes recovery from trauma to be slightly different.

Aside from RRB, has anyone else experienced this kind of issue?

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
tim2000s, hoping someone shares your experience and possible solutions.

Have you thought about researching and taking specific nutritional supplements known to be helpful for your needs, perhaps for three months, to see if it makes a difference? Or do you want to give the ankle more time to heal? If you go with a supplement strategy, I encourage you to start with a good quality multi-vitamin and mineral supplement, then add whatever else you need.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can see that a badly sprained ankle could cause long term ankle damage, the increased tingling would have to be a result of how the changes in the blood interact with the damage done by the sprain.

From what i know flux in BG levels cause the cells in the blood to constrict, which changes how they interact with muscles - which is why some people report headaches and a stuff neck with high sugars.

If you did damage your ankle, perhaps tore something or had it heal wrong etc, the changes in BG could be making that worse.

I wouldn't really say this is a complication from diabetes, since the cause is the ankle sprain. Have you been to a doctor to have it x-rayed, or imaged to see if you have scar tissue build up or any torn? It sounds like these are pins and needles that could be due to poor circulation, and when you cells constrict with higher BG you would see worse circulation, thus worse tingling right ?

Maybe try wearing those circulation socks? or try taking some L-Arginine, or other vasodilator and see if that helps?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My condition, RH, is more than likely caused by trauma or by surgery.
Apparently it is so rare to develop RH by natural causes.

What I think I'm saying is, don't be at all surprised that our bodies, do and will develop complications that occur naturally.

But of course, trauma to one side of your body will not only affect that side, but how everything else works as well.

Reactions: 2 people

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Reading a comment by @Robinredbreast and after experiences of my own I thought a topic regarding this would be useful to people.

Following a sprained ankle last year, I was pretty sure that I suffered some form of nerve damage to my ankle/foot as I was feeling a lot of pins and needles on the upper part of my foot. In the period since I did that, I've had my BG level under pretty good control, with Hba1C around 6.0 and SD around 2.3. What I've noticed is that I still have these tingling sensations and that when my BG rises above 8.5, they are far stonger than under normal circumstances.

Now my other foot doesn't suffer from these things, so I am certain it is related to the ankle sprain, however it is very frustrating that a trauma has delivered something that I thought I was managing well to avoid. Such is the T1's lot. I find it hard to classify them as "Diabetic Complications" as without the trauma (i.e. the control being the other foot) I doubt that there would be anything there. They are however, compications, and I'm sure that they are there because the Big D causes recovery from trauma to be slightly different.

My concern for you would to make sure that you do not have Charcot Arthropathy also known as Charcot foot . Having diabetes along with neuropathy can cause small fractures to the ankle and foot without us knowing. Although it is not a common thing I would ask your Dr to rule this out . I can say neuropathy can happen on one side only and the symptoms you describe sound like neuropathy .

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Anaelena , I discussed it with the consultant at my January clinic. As it was a result of spraining my ankle, he wasn't overly concerned, especially given that my circulation in my feet was good and the filament test came back passed with flying colours. Essentially, it was a case of "Yes, you've sprained your ankle, and you've done yourself some damage. As you are diabetic, it is likely that it has been enhanced".

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Interesting.
Various people have posted that their neuropathy is worse at different blood glucose levels.
I can remember @Andrew Colvin saying that he can judge his BG with precision, by the feeling in his fingers.

So I have kind of taken on board that nerves don't really like being bathed in above-normal glucose solutions (obvious, eh?), and that their healing will be delayed because of it. But I had never really made a connection between that and non-diabetic nerve damage.

But really, I suppose if damage exists, it may not matter what caused it, just that high BG aggravates, worsens or delays healing. Again, obvious, but not something I had ever actually thought about.

Have you noticed any improvement in the pins and needles feeling suggesting that the nerves are repairing?
It can be a very slow business.

I nearly cut the top of my finger about 20 years ago, and had that numb deadness. Never thought it would ever improve. Then a couple of years ago I noticed that all sensation in that fingertip was normal. Goodness knows when it happened, but I'm very grateful it did.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Peripheral neuropathy is a common side effect of chemotherapy. 2 years ago I was in the midst of a course of chemo which left me with neuropathy in my feet. (I wasn't diabetic at the time). I had a lot of tingling, pins and needles, and burning soles. The oncologist told me the nerves to the feet are the longest in the body, and when damaged take a very long time to repair themselves, if ever. After 12 months I noticed an improvement, but it was gradual. Now, after 2 years, it is very much improved, but still evident occasionally especially in bed. I still mention it to the oncologist at my reviews and he still says I just have to be patient and there is nothing to be done about it. It has nothing to do with my diabetes, and no matter what my levels are, it does not get any worse. My diabetic foot checks are all good, I have normal feeling in my feet etc.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I'm not sure. I haven't done any reading on neuropathy, so this thread will be a good start! Sensation in both my feet has changed slightly and quite recently and it's a sense of being more aware of slight discomfort, occasional pain or numbness in my toes, and not being ready to walk so fast. I also broke two metatarsals in my left foot just getting up out of bed one morning. I didn't go to the doctor initially because I didn't realise what I'd done: it was just a nasty sharp pain. At my first visit to the GP, I was told I'd sprained my foot. When I went back, I was sent for an x-ray which showed the damage. Treatment was rest, nothing else.

Did you have your sprain diagnosed?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Various people have posted that their neuropathy is worse at different blood glucose levels.
I can remember @Andrew Colvin saying that he can judge his BG with precision, by the feeling in his fingers.
Yup, I notice that the pins and needles sensation appears when the BG level gets to about 9mmol/l and I am wearing certain shoes!

Have you noticed any improvement in the pins and needles feeling suggesting that the nerves are repairing?
It can be a very slow business.
Not sure really, but I do take both Alpha Lipoic Acid and Benfotiamine as anti-oxidation and nerve regrowth assistance factors, which are supposed to help.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Did you have your sprain diagnosed?
I didn't end up going to the doctor as it was weight bearing, I could walk on it, there was no sharp pain, and it didn't feel massively different from when I had turned my ankle before. I probably should have gone and got it X-Rayed, but as it was the result (at the time) of a very low BG level (gee, thanks Lantus) I probably wasn't thinking 100% either when I got up and moved off.

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Anaelena , I discussed it with the consultant at my January clinic. As it was a result of spraining my ankle, he wasn't overly concerned, especially given that my circulation in my feet was good and the filament test came back passed with flying colours. Essentially, it was a case of "Yes, you've sprained your ankle, and you've done yourself some damage. As you are diabetic, it is likely that it has been enhanced".

Well that actually sounds like good news. We tend to have our " enhancements" true :) lol