Oh those empty cupboards

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just an observation.....empty kitchen cupboards!!! I remember vividly bulging cupboards, full of tins and packets of various foods that I considered half way healthy...simple things like baked beans, packets of ready to go pasta n sauce. Now I look and see vast empty spaces since I threw out all the convenience foods and things I can no longer eat. I have to admit I am amazed at how much sugar and carbs is added to everyday foods. Just yesterday I got some little ''no added sugar '' jellies...low carb and perfect as a pudding...on checking the ordinary version of them I was horrified to see 26 g of carb/sugar!!!!!...and these are the treats moms give their kids. I have become a label ninja haha but it's worth it and I am almost enjoying all the good healthy food I am eating now.....only wish I had realized before how badly I was eating :(

Reactions: 9 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just an observation.....empty kitchen cupboards!!! I remember vividly bulging cupboards, full of tins and packets of various foods that I considered half way healthy...simple things like baked beans, packets of ready to go pasta n sauce. Now I look and see vast empty spaces since I threw out all the convenience foods and things I can no longer eat. I have to admit I am amazed at how much sugar and carbs is added to everyday foods. Just yesterday I got some little ''no added sugar '' jellies...low carb and perfect as a pudding...on checking the ordinary version of them I was horrified to see 26 g of carb/sugar!!!!!...and these are the treats moms give their kids. I have become a label ninja haha but it's worth it and I am almost enjoying all the good healthy food I am eating now.....only wish I had realized before how badly I was eating :(

You could fill 'em with Stevie g momentos.:arghh:;)

Have had a look at the fa cup thread, please, ta!

Reactions: 2 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You could fill 'em with Stevie g momentos.:arghh:;)

Have had a look at the fa cup thread, please, ta!
My whole house is full of Stevie G stuff...huge framed pics of him above my bed...scarves, tee shirts...key rings wrist bands...bed cover ...teddy bears haha....even considering a tattoo :D I will have a look at the post....I hope it doesn't say anything mean about my hero...the one and only legend that is Steven Gerrard :D ....sigh :D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My whole house is full of Stevie G stuff...huge framed pics of him above my bed...scarves, tee shirts...key rings wrist bands...bed cover ...teddy bears haha....even considering a tattoo :D I will have a look at the post....I hope it doesn't say anything mean about my hero...the one and only legend that is Stevern Gerrard :D ....sigh :D
That's sad!
I just have other stuff on my walls, I have pictures of my grandkids and of my football shirt, signed of course!

I also have some really nice trekkie stuff as well!:)

Reactions: 4 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's sad!
I just have other stuff on my walls, I have pictures of my grandkids and of my football shirt, signed of course!

I also have some really nice trekkie stuff as well!:)
Lmao....Trekkie stuff and you're calling me sad hahahaha.....live long and prosper :D.....It's total devotion to an amazing player and my wonderful club Liverpool FC.....Red til I die :D

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What was the topic again? Ah, cupboards. After 2 years mine are still half full of stuff I can't bring myself to waste as long as Mrs DeeJay will eat it. Recently I did throw away some HP sauce which went out of date in December 2012 but we've still got the Fruity Sauce which doesn't expire till 2016.
Plus there's all the new stuff so the cupboards are just as full as before.

Reactions: 5 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What was the topic again? Ah, cupboards. After 2 years mine are still half full of stuff I can't bring myself to waste as long as Mrs DeeJay will eat it. Recently I did throw away some HP sauce which went out of date in December 2012 but we've still got the Fruity Sauce which doesn't expire till 2016.
Plus there's all the new stuff so the cupboards are just as full as before.
I admit I digressed and strayed slightly off topic due to football being introduced ;) I have yet to achieve a full cupboard from newly added things...it is all a complete minefield to me ...reading labels and uncertain of what is and isn't allowed but in time I hope to have an interesting cupboard or two to delve into

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Lmao....Trekkie stuff and you're calling me sad hahahaha.....live long and prosper :D.....It's total devotion to an amazing player and my wonderful club Liverpool FC.....Red til I die :D
My missus is just the same!

Whenever I slang him down (to her astonishment ;)) she has a right go at me!!!

Do pick a player in the fa cup thread, I know you would pick that no 8 if it were the rednoses!

C

chris lowe

I admit I did use up a packet of Ainsley Harriot cous cous the other day that a best before date of sept 2013. I reasoned as it was in a sealed packet it couldn't have come to too much harm :)

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I admit I did use up a packet of Ainsley Harriot cous cous the other day that a best before date of sept 2013. I reasoned as it was in a sealed packet it couldn't have come to too much harm :)
Lol.....I wouldn't eat cous cous if it was in date hahaha

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I love the fact that we don't waste anything!! Everything in fridge is bought and used.
I hear on media of the people that waste so much money throwing food away! I find it stagggering.
I'm getting 4 cucumbers a day off my plants at the moment and even those are all used. Use two a day cut up in to water for flavouring, next door neighbours dog has 1/2 and kids around love them and we have at least one a day too.
Cupboards again have no wastage at all.
The freezer us even listed to ensure we can rotate our food choices and buy bargains when they are on offer. The only downfall I have is forgetting to defrost the food! Fortunately hubby remembers and each night checks the food is defrosted if necessary for the next day.
Only things in my cupboards are chickpeas or beans, tinned tomatos, coconut products. Huge tin of best olive oil. Herbs, spices.... A tin of corned beef (incase of not defrosting). Tins of coffee though...normally buy 20 at a time when 1/2 price.

2 shelves on bookcase to cooking books though.

Reactions: 7 people
C

chris lowe

I love the fact that we don't waste anything!! Everything in fridge is bought and used.
I hear on media of the people that waste so much money throwing food away! I find it stagggering.
I'm getting 4 cucumbers a day off my plants at the moment and even those are all used. Use two a day cut up in to water for flavouring, next door neighbours dog has 1/2 and kids around love them and we have at least one a day too.
The freezer us even listed to ensure we can rotate our food choices and buy bargains when they are on offer. The only downfall I have is forgetting to defrost the food! Fortunately hubby remembers and each night checks the food is defrosted if necessary for the next day.
Only things in my cupboards are chickpeas or beans, tinned tomatos, coconut products. Huge tin of best olive oil. Herbs, spices.... A tin of corned beef (incase of not defrosting). Tins of coffee though...normally buy 20 at a time when 1/2 price.

I'm one of those that used up the leftovers, veg can be put into some soup, if Mr Chris doesn't use up the bread it gets blitzed and frozen so it's ready to use for stuffings or a spinkle with a bit of grated parmesan on top of cauli cheese. Cheese can be grated & frozen too. There's really no need to throw food away.

C

chris lowe

Talking of cupboards anyone got some uses for Poppy Seed? I grabbed it from supermarket instead of Pilau Rice seasoning :mad:

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Talking of cupboards anyone got some uses for Poppy Seed? I grabbed it from supermarket instead of Pilau Rice seasoning :mad:
they get stuck in my teeth so no sorry lol...maybe put them in some Oopsies if you make any :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

If you have too much cucumber, pickle them in vinegar with onion, it is really nice, if you like that sort of thing!
Here's me giving recipes out! Who would have thought?;)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If you have too much cucumber, pickle them in vinegar with onion, it is really nice, if you like that sort of thing!
Here's me giving recipes out! Who would have thought?;)

Love the pickling idea. Never thought of that. Brilliant. Thank you.

And applause from me for giving me that thought.... Will google how to do this now!!

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I just remembered this and it made me giggle again.

We were mooching in the seasoning aisle in Tesco today and Mr Boo sidled up to me and whispered "I didn't know lesbians ate different food from straight people". "I don't think they do, for one minute you buffoon, what gave you that idea?" replies I, knowing his tongue is probably firmly in his cheek. He points to a small darkly coloured tin and declares the item as proof of his assertion.

"That's 'Lebanese spice' numbnuts!" :rolleyes::woot:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Love the pickling idea. Never thought of that. Brilliant. Thank you.

And applause from me for giving me that thought.... Will google how to do this now!!

You cut cucumber into thin slices and cut onions into long pieces, both after peeling.
Pour vinegar into receptacles and place both ingredients into them. You can add spices to taste.

Lovely on pork, beef and especially warm roasted ham!

Pleased to help!

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't care how much you try to fancy up cucumber, I'm still not going to eat it.

I don't mind it in my mouth so much, it's enjoying it repeatedly for the next three days I don't much like.:yuck: