Insulin resistance is not caused by a high carb diet... Some opinions

Miss_Dior

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Football, super hot weather, being sick
Cool that you are a vegetarian, I try too convince people that you can lose weight and better your diabetes on a vegetarian diet as well as lowcarb. Lowcarb is kind of my first love, since I lost so much weight on it, my father as well, but now I can also easily control my weight on a vegetarian diet.

I think people should be able to get rid of their diabetes even if they are vegetarians lol, not just us meatlovers.

I'm not a vegetarian. I wrote, "For the record, I am not a vegan, a vegetarian, or an adherent of any particular diet regimen."

Miss_Dior

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ah, Mr Rumsfeld, good to meet you!

I think that's the fundamental take away from all of these things. Where a diet promotes eating natural, whole foods in moderation, and exercise is encouraged, the symptoms or conditions recede significantly (where this is possible).

Yes, I've read intensively about various traditional diets, diets that aren't necessarily traditional but they don't result in metabolic disaster, and they all have certain things in common: intake moderation, occasional fasting, and absent the massive ingestion of carb/fat combinations.

By the way, do you realize you wrote "insulin existence" in your OP? Was that a Freudian typo? Mr. Rumsfeld :jimlad::nailbiting:wants to know!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Yes, I've read intensively about various traditional diets, diets that aren't necessarily traditional but they don't result in metabolic disaster, and they all have certain things in common: intake moderation, occasional fasting, and absent the massive ingestion of carb/fat combinations.

By the way, do you realize you wrote "insulin existence" in your OP? Was that a Freudian typo? Mr. Rumsfeld :jimlad::nailbiting:wants to know!
Sadly not. It was the phone autocorrecting.

Miss_Dior

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sadly not. It was the phone autocorrecting.

It's strangely appropriate. Unless you are Roger Unger in which case it would be "glucagon existence."

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm fascinated by this thread, because since being diagnosed prediabetic I've been following LCHF with good results - ie, good BG readings, weight loss, reduction/disappearance of symptoms and increased energy.

However, I had, prior to diagnosis ((6 months ago) been easing my way into a vegan-ish diet - I had excluded most dairy and intended to continue with that, and to eat only ethically sourced and/or wild caught meat (and fish) - so more of a Megan!

Prior to diagnosis I ate a lot of whole grain/brown carbs - good quality artisan breads, brown rice and pasta, whole oats, lentils and pulses. It seems that didn't work FOR ME - as I was gaining weight and losing health. I also always walk for at least an hour and usually two every day and have for most of my life, as i have dogs that need a fair bit of exercise. Despite regular exercise and a fairly good diet (I also ate **** like biscuits, and many an Indian take away) I was getting fatter and fatter and losing energy...

I'm a bit daunted by all the science, so am going on my experience. LCHF is working for me (in the short term anyway) but it isn't consistent with my values and I will, when I feel my BG numbers are rock solid, experiment with reducing dairy and meat and adding rice and lentils back into my diet...

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Prior to diagnosis I ate a lot of whole grain/brown carbs - good quality artisan breads, brown rice and pasta, whole oats, lentils and pulses. It seems that didn't work FOR ME - as I was gaining weight and losing health. I also always walk for at least an hour and usually two every day and have for most of my life, as i have dogs that need a fair bit of exercise. Despite regular exercise and a fairly good diet (I also ate **** like biscuits, and many an Indian take away) I was getting fatter and fatter and losing energy..
The key message from the initial set of links is that whole foods are the way to consume carbs. Unfortunately, breads and pasta are massively refined, and to a certain extent, so is brown rice.

As a T1, the only rice that really doesn't affect my blood glucose levels immediately are the wild black and red varieties, where I find any bolus insulin causes a hypo. As a result, the non-LCHF approach being propagated here is likely to be effective, but as with LCHF, it has to be followed carefully.

Reactions: 2 people

Miss_Dior

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
+ 3. Zinc

Right, and I bet there's a whole lotta other things that are, well, "unknown unknowns."

The diet dogmatists always leave out what doesn't suit their agenda, don't they?

Miss_Dior

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm fascinated by this thread, because since being diagnosed prediabetic I've been following LCHF with good results - ie, good BG readings, weight loss, reduction/disappearance of symptoms and increased energy.

However, I had, prior to diagnosis ((6 months ago) been easing my way into a vegan-ish diet - I had excluded most dairy and intended to continue with that, and to eat only ethically sourced and/or wild caught meat (and fish) - so more of a Megan!

Prior to diagnosis I ate a lot of whole grain/brown carbs - good quality artisan breads, brown rice and pasta, whole oats, lentils and pulses. It seems that didn't work FOR ME - as I was gaining weight and losing health. I also always walk for at least an hour and usually two every day and have for most of my life, as i have dogs that need a fair bit of exercise. Despite regular exercise and a fairly good diet (I also ate **** like biscuits, and many an Indian take away) I was getting fatter and fatter and losing energy...

I'm a bit daunted by all the science, so am going on my experience. LCHF is working for me (in the short term anyway) but it isn't consistent with my values and I will, when I feel my BG numbers are rock solid, experiment with reducing dairy and meat and adding rice and lentils back into my diet...

I can relate to what you are saying. Do you have a meter? I recommend getting one highly. And don't be guilty about compromising your beliefs. Your health is what's important and weight gain is bad for blood sugars, period.

At first I balked at the idea of "eating to your meter." I thought it would make me obsessive. But it's been a very enlightening experience. I can tolerate starches (oatmeal, chana dal, black beans,) but grapes send the blood sugars thru the roof. I was surprised at the difference. However, the starches do result in a generally higher blood sugar level than I would like, for a longer time. Not sky high, just a little. And they do seem to interfere with fat loss, no matter what the vegans say.

Avocados, nuts, coconut and meat hardly budge the meter. But they are energy dense, and I wouldn't lose weight eating too much of them. And whatever some people say about fat, I'm not terribly satisfied after eating a meal that consists of only protein/fat. That's me.

You have to figure out what is best for you by (a) trial and error and (b) reading up on the science even if some of it goes over your head.

My personal upshot for the present: limit sugars, moderate amounts of starch, and focus on lean animal proteins during my weight loss phase. When that's over, I'll try to phase out most of the animal proteins. I believe we need some for nutrients that plants don't provide, but not much. Keep tinkering.

Miss_Dior

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The most serious nutritional deficiencies are: EPA/DHA omega-3, vitamin D, B12, calcium, magnesium, iron, and iodine. What causes insulin resistance is high glycemic carbohydrates, not meat. Meat lowers blood sugar and insulin, decreasing insulin resistance. It causes an insulin spike, but if no carbs, lowers blood sugar. My doctor had me eat animal protein every 2 hours for 2 months, my HbA1C went down 2%. No drug can do that.

"It causes an insulin spike, but if no carbs, lowers blood sugar."

Interesting. That would explain why, when I eat meat, my meter registers no change, but I lose no weight. Another reason never to go for simple, one-size fits all* explanations when considering something as complicated as a mammal's metabolism.

*Now changed to "one size fits most." I am not joking. I have seen this on a rain pancho package. They must now take morbidly obese customers into account.

Miss_Dior

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I agree with you Tim that you find all the same arguments from the vegan community as to why their diet is best for diabetes as you do from the HCLF community on here. (
On both sides you see a demonization of one nutrient or another and people become very entrenched . (just look at the replies on DD, I sigh every time I see Ancel Keys mentioned , the internet echo chamber has a lot to answer for)
People tend to read things that reaffirm their own views .
Just look at these two accounts of a recent study
The first notes that the diet wasn't really low carb so just think what a real low carb diet would do.
http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2014/09/the-low-carb-vs-low-fat-study/
The second says that at 30% it was far from a low fat diet and not very different to a SAD one. A diet of 8-12% fat is the one that has the benefits.
http://nutritionstudies.org/low-carb-hot-air/

The one systematic review that BSC doesn't mention is here http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/97/3/505.full
(basically, the evidence not brilliant, full of confounders and several diets have similar effects; there was not enough evidence from vegan diet) The problem I see with any randomised controlled trial is that people don't stick to the diets that they are allocated so long term trials end up with people eating much the same thing (and often not that different to where they started)

Elsewhere there have been two other papers recently that try to assess what healthy diets have in common.
Theres an account of the Katz one here .He concludes that the best diets are ' minimally processed foods close to nature, predominantly plants'(it's now gone behind a paywall which is a pity, the Hu one on diabetes diets is also not free access )

Both of them seem to tend towards moderation, more plant than animal, not too much of anything and very few refined foods.

Katz is actually trying to set up some sort of coalition of people from all corners of the dietary spectrum to look for that consensus about evidenced based, healthy diet patterns to avoid (treat?) disease including T2. I'm not clear where he hopes to go with it though
He has got on board a very large group of 'luminaries' people and people with media influence, including some very well known academic researchers , people who promote diets from paleo to GI to vegan and some people more controversial (Deeprak Chopra and Mehemet Oz for example)
I don't think that I recognise anyone from the LCHF wing though . It may be that they have been asked and refused but it may also be that the methods of asking are a bit, lets say odd, or maybe I'm old fashioned but I think that such requests aren't best put on blogs or Twitter ( eg put a page search for Glimmer on this page from Peter Attia's blog http://eatingacademy.com/cholesterol-2/random-finding-plus-pi )

Phoenix - have you ever seen the "Bray Overfeeding study"? It's not directly relevant to diabetes but there were findings in it that were revealing about weight gain/fat gain that I do think can be extrapolated to diabetes/metabolic diseases.

Miss_Dior

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
https://www.facebook.com/drgarth/posts/836029126417997?hc_location=ufi

https://www.facebook.com/drgarth/posts/942670975753811

These are both posts from Dr Garth Davis, a proponent of the vegetarian or vegan whole food diet as a way to reduce insulin existence. Thought they might prove interesting as an alternative to the LC approach that many on here take.

The first has a long list of papers that I haven't had a chance to read, but @phoenix may have.

The discussion wandered on to other trails, so I wanted to return to the actual posts by Dr. Davis.

His language is very inflammatory. He claims you need a "hazmat suit" to handle raw chicken. Please. I should be dead by now if that's true.

He cites a lot of studies. I would like to work my way through all of them but there are rather a lot. This one caught my attention because of Davis' inflammatory language in touting it: "Like the EPIC study, they also found that sugar was not related to the development of diabetes at all." Emphasis added. Case closed, eh? Not so fast. The study is based on self-reported data. I don't trust self-reported data, sorry, it's not very reliable.

I wonder what Davis would make of this large-scale epidemiological study which links sugar to diabetes. Unlike Davis, this study's authors are not so arrogant as to claim direct cause and effect.

It makes me wonder how many of the other studies he cites are flimsy.

Last edited by a moderator: