I know people mean well BUT !!!

Busy1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am finding it quite difficult to come to terms with my diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes.
I coasted along for a few years as Borderline and this is where I went wrong. I didn't test my bloods and before I knew it my Blood sugar had got really high.
I do not find it easy to tell people about my diabetes but when I do have to tell someone, I can't cope with them telling me all the horror stories about people they know who have had huge problems. I know they only mean well but when you are trying hard to come to terms with your new situation. Horror stories don't help one little bit. This forum has kept me sane and I would like to thank everyone for helping all us newbies. I hope one day in the future I will be able to do the same.

Reactions: 17 people
C

CheeseJunkie

I got a horror story classic on Thursday: a colleague (young man), who had been diagnosed with pre-diabetes, travelled abroad with work, drank lots of orange juice, fell seriously ill, failed to get treatment, and died.

I haven't drunk juice for at least a couple of years :-/ (since way before diagnosis). It's probably a good thing to avoid if you want to hit your blood glucose on the head.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Busy1

I bet that OJ story cheered you up, eh?

Sorry - shouldn't be frivolous, but that was the kind of thing that you were saying is hard for you to hear, wasn't it? The problem is that horror stories work the best on people with empathy - and they are the ones who were unlikely to need the lecture. The rhino skinned un empathetic ones could probably hear it 10 times and not realise they should be learning something!

The way I cope with those horror stories is one or more of the following:
  • I only tell trusted (or necessary) people I am D
  • I usually counter such stories with 'goodness, that's so sad. Thank goodness I've learned how to control my blood glucose. That should mean it doesn't happen to me.'
  • I avoid insensitive idiots wherever possible (not 100% effective)
And
  • I have fantasies about the fictional machine gun in my back pocket.

Reactions: 20 people

Busy1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I expect as time goes on I will get used to people commenting. I agree it is best to tell as few people as possible.
I am finding it hard when people say 'Should you be eating that ? I have worked really hard to lose some weight and have quite a sensible diet on the whole. I do get it wrong sometimes of course. My favourite bowl of porridge for breakfast will have to go.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Honey, we ALL get it wrong, sometimes.

Don't worry, every 'mistake' you make teaches you how to do it better next time.

Have you had a look for low carb porridge recipes? They do exist. :)

Reactions: 9 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got a horror story classic on Thursday: a colleague (young man), who had been diagnosed with pre-diabetes, travelled abroad with work, drank lots of orange juice, fell seriously ill, failed to get treatment, and died.

I haven't drunk juice for at least a couple of years :-/ (since way before diagnosis). It's probably a good thing to avoid if you want to hit your blood glucose on the head.
Well, that was helpful. Not!

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I expect as time goes on I will get used to people commenting. I agree it is best to tell as few people as possible.
I am finding it hard when people say 'Should you be eating that ? I have worked really hard to lose some weight and have quite a sensible diet on the whole. I do get it wrong sometimes of course. My favourite bowl of porridge for breakfast will have to go.
Hi and welcome. Most people here won't tell you horror stories. Best ignore any who do.
Porridge is so over-rated there are lots of delicious alternatives. I like full fat natural yogurt with blueberries and a few flakes of almond. Or baked egg custard with cinnamon. Always plenty of ideas on forum. It does take a while to get things right, but generally good advice available. You will be advising others too before long.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh and do hit the ignore button if anyone gets too silly. Or report if they are offensive.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin

Oh and do hit the ignore button if anyone gets too silly. Or report if they are offensive.

Hehe, I know what you mean. Just what she needs in a thread about horror stories freaking her out.

Still I think CheeseJunkie's post does illustrate something relevant. No need to get freaked out by horror stories, but do take them as an opportunity to learn something not to do (assuming a true story as opposed to the "urban legend" of course). To be honest I wish someone had warned me about orange juice (and fruit juices in general) as they were a huge problem for me early on. I used to drink a whole **** load of "healthy" unsweetened fruit juices until I figured out just how high they spiked me.

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
There are plenty of recipes on this site or on the internet. I have found many recipes that will help me once i get of the Newcastle diet, so just gathering information, you not alone just ask and i am sure people will help , or point you in the right direction

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi busy
If some one gives me a horror story I respond with haha that was a good one , have you heard the one about ............?
It seems to work for me :mad::mad:

Reactions: 6 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Busy1, if someone asks you whether you should be eating something, the best response is generally "no, but neither should you, fatty". Seems to shut people up...

Reactions: 12 people

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
I've not had people telling me not to eat stuff, more the other way round.
The odd horror story motivates me to keep on the the straight and narrow.

In the autumn I'm going to be working with a chap who reckons that a vegan diet will be the cure for all my woes. I suspect there will be some interesting conversations. I suspect his views won't be changed by rational argument. Veganism has quite a lot of appeal for me, but would be tricky to implement.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I've had a couple of people say Oh you're diabetic are you, Is that why you never had children? Only my self restraint stopped me from saying get lost!

Reactions: 7 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I've had a couple of people say Oh you're diabetic are you, Is that why you never had children? Only my self restraint stopped me from saying get lost!
Mine would be "Naw! It's just that I dont rely on the rythm method";)
(Never could work out whether waltz time or heavy metal would work best:wideyed:)

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people just delight in telling others medical horror stories rather than any success story. Mention a medical condition and they can always come up with a horror story to match it. Hopefully most people will not be worried by them

Reactions: 3 people

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Think my reply would be no never had kids in case they turned out like you :blackeye:

C

CheeseJunkie

Hehe, I know what you mean. Just what she needs in a thread about horror stories freaking her out.

Still I think CheeseJunkie's post does illustrate something relevant. No need to get freaked out by horror stories, but do take them as an opportunity to learn something not to do (assuming a true story as opposed to the "urban legend" of course). To be honest I wish someone had warned me about orange juice (and fruit juices in general) as they were a huge problem for me early on. I used to drink a whole **** load of "healthy" unsweetened fruit juices until I figured out just how high they spiked me.

That was the point of my post, uart. It took me several hours of sitting watching Youtube videos of Dr Lustig and his colleagues for me to realise the issues with fruit juices. (And that was not through anything linked to diabetes.) Which I then gave up. Not because I was scared by some story, but because I then (half)understood a process, and made a rational decision. When I mention to friends now that I no longer drink fruit juices (except occasion tomato, in small amounts) they think I'm some kind of freak, as - they say - 'fruit is healthy' and by logic 'fruit juice is healthy'. 95%+ of the population seems unaware of current research.

Of course, anything in excess is going to be bad news for anybody, healthy or not (including water). People don't seem to realise that GOOD x2 or x5 does not necessarily =BETTER when it comes to food and drink. And given the number of people in the world, it's likely to be true that some people somewhere have done some not sensible things at some times, so lots of stories will always be out there, some linked to fact, some nearer myth. While that particular story I found perhaps surprising, it certainly didn't freak me out, as over the last 2 years I've learned a lot about juices (and I also know from common sense that anyone doing something to excess and falling ill then not getting treatment is a really bad idea). So I suppose what I'm trying to say is there will always be lots of scare stories out there but getting proper information renders scare stories harmless, takes their power away. Because you have an informed context for assessing any new info.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thanks, my reference to report and ignore buttons were for someone else who had posted idiotic out of context posts that have now been removed.

C

CheeseJunkie

Thanks, my reference to report and ignore buttons were for someone else who had posted idiotic out of context posts that have now been removed.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I felt that comment was pointing squarely at me. I realise my original post should perhaps have been more explicatory/different in approach.