Understand levels

Neal72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My partner has recently been diagnosed with type 2. After the latest blood he's been told he's type 1 as diet management has failed and he's thin anyway but is losing a LOT of weight. Been told to do a curve over the weekend so far today 18.1 27.9 & 26.1 is this bad? His symptoms were drinking and peeing a lot and very off vision but other than the weight loss is feeling fine.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, those are high levels. When I was diagnosed with Type 1 my blood sugars was in the 20s. I'd lost weight and was peeing a lot, but largely felt ok and happy (although I had had days of feeling weak and generally 'off').

I hope your partner gets the treatment he needs very soon.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
My partner has recently been diagnosed with type 2. After the latest blood he's been told he's type 1 as diet management has failed and he's thin anyway but is losing a LOT of weight. Been told to do a curve over the weekend so far today 18.1 27.9 & 26.1 is this bad? His symptoms were drinking and peeing a lot and very off vision but other than the weight loss is feeling fine.

It's not good. Continuing with those levels for too long will do permanent damage.

Have a look at this page,

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

It will give you an idea of where he should be.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If diagnosed as a T1 after further tests then it should not have been necessary for them to do a "curve" (never heard of this in 30 years as a T1!!).
He needs to be asked to be referred to hospital endochrolgist asap. First thing Monday morning.

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sounds like your partner is a LADA (Late onset T1). He will need to go straight onto tablets and probably insulin in the longer term. LADA progresses at widely varying rates and it took 8 years for me to end up on insulin although having it earlier would have helped. Continue a low-carb diet and make up with protein and fats. Don't be tempted to increase the carbs to put weight back on. Once he is on tablets/insulin the weight will come back as there will be insulin aroundto make use of the carbs he eats

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Drinking and peeing alot is awful. His thirst will probably be unquenchable.... Make sure he us not drinking juices (natural sugar).. Preferably diet drinks, beverages without sugar or water.
With those levels and a positive T1 test it is likely that he will need insulin immediately and he should be asking for an appt on Monday with GP and asking for an urgent referral to the hospital diabetes team.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Frankly, at those levels I'd be off to A&E as he is likely to be suffering ketones and 26.1 is extremely high.

I think the GP advice was ill-advised given the bg levels he is experiencing.

Reactions: 3 people

lenitas.org

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Those levels are really bad and should be treated soon. Would recommend to start with Insulin/tablets treatment soon.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Only that I have never heard of "curve" testing @tim2000s for going back to GP 1st thing Monday. I was assuming a GP involvement or some HCP myst have been involved at some point with the T2/T1 testing...

I too would advise A&E too but assumed I was not up todate with this "curve test".

I know on my diagnosis I was sent home by GP and told he would arrange time for me to go into hospital. Ut was the next day..

I assumed (wrongfully?) that diagnos and results may have been given on Friday... And OP may have a follow up appt for Monday.

Levels do warrant an A&E visit though...

cara147m

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree - if he is thought to be T1 with those levels and not on treatment yet - go to A&E but clearly explain the change of diagnosis from T2 to T1 x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Whilst a level of 26 is high, personally I don't believe it to be high enough to warrant an A&E visit unless it continues to go up or you feel unwell; I know some would disagree. Get the carbs right down until medication is started and still keep them down. Before I went onto insulin I was quite often into the 20s and was into the 30s when diagnosed. It does warrant an urgent visit to the GP to start medication, however.

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would say go to AnE tomorrow. Get blood tested.with levels like that your GP should have preferred your partner immediately. .some people can go into diabetic coma with those levels.

Reactions: 2 people

Neal72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's really scary. We were at a group meeting they have started for diabetics and the nurse queried his weight. Luckily he had had bloods taken the day before as he wasn't given a meter. The doctor requested this over the weekend after the nurse looked at his results so I'm presuming they will start treatment on Monday? The first nurse we saw said she wouldn't take bloods as he didn't look diabetic!! I tested him with a meter from my work (the vets) did a pee stick and it was off the scale so we went straight back in the morning. The handling of it all has been poor! Thanks for all your replies. It's not a good situation at the moment. Also, he is a bus driver so we are presuming his licence is gone straight away

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
It's really scary. We were at a group meeting they have started for diabetics and the nurse queried his weight. Luckily he had had bloods taken the day before as he wasn't given a meter. The doctor requested this over the weekend after the nurse looked at his results so I'm presuming they will start treatment on Monday? The first nurse we saw said she wouldn't take bloods as he didn't look diabetic!! I tested him with a meter from my work (the vets) did a pee stick and it was off the scale so we went straight back in the morning. The handling of it all has been poor! Thanks for all your replies. It's not a good situation at the moment. Also, he is a bus driver so we are presuming his licence is gone straight away

There is information on the site about vocational driving.............................

If your diabetes is treated with insulin, you will automatically lose the entitlement to drive vehicles within:

• the C1/C1+E class (including categories C1, C1E, D1, D1E, C, CE, D or DE)
This includes vehicles between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes with a trailer, up to a combined weight of 8.25 tonnes.

However, you may apply to be assessed individually for fitness to drive these must vehicles must meet a number of conditions:

• No episode of hypoglycemia at the wheel within the last 12 months
  • You will need to assessed at least once a year by a diabetes consultant
  • Regularly testing your blood glucose levels, particularly before and around times of driving
  • Have stable on insulin for at least a month
  • Have no other conditions that would invalidate an application for the license
  • Sign a declaration to follow doctor’s decisions and report any significant change in your condition to the DVLA
The process towards getting your vocational entitlement to drive involves a three step process: [18]

• Initial application forms
  • A medical questionnaire
  • A further medical questionnaire and an examination by your consultant

birchy66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed as Type 1 just over 2 years ago. I was suffering similar symptoms, unquenchable thirst, total fatigue, blurred vision, and lost 2 stones in 8 weeks. I started to be sick and then visited GP who called for an ambulance straight to A&E. They put me on insulin immediately and other intravenous drips which soon started to bring me back. My blood glucose on admission was 27 mmol/L, very high and had been climbing to this level for a few months as 3 months prior to admission to hospital I was diagnosed as Type 2 (wrong diagnosis!!) and put on Metformin which did nothing for me.
My advice would be get to A&E immediately and bypass your GP. Not all GP's are well informed about diabetes and many think that if you are older then it must be Type 2.
Good luck.