Discrimination (& a bit of a rant!!)

Charlies_mum

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter age 11 was diagnosed type 1 at the beginning of May. Do you think she has been discriminated against because it?

She came out of school today very upset. My first thought of course was hypo! It turns out she lost her part in the end of term assembly. I went in to speak to the teacher she said it was because she needed someone reliable and because she had missed some rehearsal due to being off school. I had to just walk away because was actually very rude and defensive. I mean really it's a school assembly not a broadway musical.

She has had a few more days off recently due to various things related to diabetes (headaches and exhausted due to late night hypos, hospital appointments, etc). She is struggling to come to terms with her diagnoses and now she feels even worse about herself.

I'm not sure if I am overreacting by getting so upset about this.

M

mrspuddleduck

Is there a nice teacher that you could go and have a general chat with, explain how difficult it is both physically and emotionally for your daughter and could she facilitate some support without obviously singling her out from the other children? Years ago my son was seriously ill (not diabetes) and the school was awful - until I got one nice teacher on our side then through her everything got so much better. I also understand that feeling of wanting to scream at them, but just take a big breath then scream into a cushion at home afterwards!! Take care both of you, Sue xxx

Reactions: 2 people