Help! Please (Symptoms)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
'Err on the side of caution' basically means you play it safe and without risk, so in your BF case he shouldn't just assume its diabetes related and needs to mention the shaking and fitting episodes to his HCP's.

If they turn out to be low bg levels (hypo's) then he needs some guidance on how to restore his hypo awareness symptoms as his may be severely impaired if he doesn't feel the hypo's coming on.

Good luck and hope you both get something sorted soon.
Thankyou this is really helping xx

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know if I messed up taking his bloods because I was shaking so much so I may have got that completely wrong :(

The meter will record the last reading if you want to take a look and double check that it was 14 (and not 1.4 or something else). I'd be interested to see that confirmed. Please also confirm that the units on the meter are mmol/L (millimole per litre).

It's pretty hard to make a mistake, because most meters won't even take a reading if you don't get it right. About the only mistake I could think of is if you had residue from syrup or anything sweet on your hands when you pricked the blood and somehow contaminated the sample.

Reactions: 2 people
G

graj0

What is it with men? estefaniasanchez, you sound like a very sensible person, checking BG to see if, or confirm a hypo is very sensible. 14 is a bit high, I went to 23 once and the emergency GP I saw wasn't in the least worried, possibly because he was not up to speed on his diabetes 101. I came to no harm anyway.
If it was 1.4 I would have thought, although not 100% certain, he'd be closer to going into a coma and fitting sounds like something else. He should certainly consult his diabetes team or GP or both.
My father has a habit of eating at 18:00 and not eating again until 10:00 the next day, an hour after taking his insulin, and wondering why he hypos. Pretty obvious really, timing is fairly important and I would have thought taking insulin closer to eating would be essential.
Hope you sort it out although I should be saying that he should take his condition more seriously and sort himself out. He's lucky to have you for a girlfriend/partner/other half (whatever the expression is these days).

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Some fantastic advice from the guys above..
Rule of thumb.. Treat the hypo first. (Anything sugar.) then ask the questions later.. There may be a little "lag" when taking the readings. So as long as the hypo is treated. Then the blood sugar readings may be as much as 15 minutes behind..? (Due to blood circulation.) Giving an impression that the sweets/Lucozade, whatever isn't working.

If you can access the memory on the BS meter? That would be great! There is normally a time/date "stamp" with the result. (A little like text messages on phones?) which will make it easier to find.. Good luck..

jennyw1976

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
'Err on the side of caution' basically means you play it safe and without risk, so in your BF case he shouldn't just assume its diabetes related and needs to mention the shaking and fitting episodes to his HCP's.

If they turn out to be low bg levels (hypo's) then he needs some guidance on how to restore his hypo awareness symptoms as his may be severely impaired if he doesn't feel the hypo's coming on.

Good luck and hope you both get something sorted soon.

I haven't heard of shaking as a high symptom. Best of luck in figuring out what it is. I would also suggest video taping it to show him later :)