Prediabetes or Not?

LynDoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
January 2014 I went for my yearly checkup and blood tests. I got a shock when my Dr said that my BG was 5.9. I was told to cut out chocolate, cake, sweets and all sugary drinks and to come back fasting in six months time. Then in July 2014 I had a fasting BG test. I phoned for the results and was told that my BG was back to normal. A month ago I had a HbA1C test and the result was 44. I have taken off 9lbs over the last 8 weeks and still have about 3 stone to go. My Dr didn't say when I should have my BG checked again, only to call in for a chat if I am worried about anything. I am now wondering if I should get a BG monitor.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am in writing as saying that all people should own a BG monitor, even those without diabetes. I actually believe that the NHS should do a random test on everyone once a year, say. Until that time comes then do the check yourself. This should go some way to preventing people from finding out they have diabetes some years after the event.

On the practical side though, it depends on how worried/interested you are. The NHS sometimes pushes the line that quality of life is impaired if you get obsessed about your health. On the other hand you should be concerned about your health since not many other people will be.

It all depends on you but it is encouraging to see that you are considering taking some control. Your doctor was right in telling you not to eat those things.

LynDoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Squire Fulwood. I will get a BG monitor as what you say is very true. If I don't worry about my health no one else will. The LCHF diet sounds good, but only thing is I have been told to stay off fats due to gallbladder problems. I also have high BP and ME and can't get much exercise.

LynDoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used my new Accu-chek Aviva meter before breakfast today for the first time. The result was 7.4. But I'm still not sure if I have prediabetes or diabetes. What do you all think?

Last edited by a moderator:

jeanie99

pre diabetes is between 42 and 47, these results are from the 3 month test which the doc does.
The meter results for pre are under 7.8, 2 hours after the start of a meal.

That's my understanding perhaps other more experienced members may like to comment on that.

GP's do not like pre s to use meters they think we will worry and make things worse. For me I want to take action to try and get my pre to normal if I can or at least stay within the pre range.

Over the last two years by prick testing I now know which foods I need to avoid, for me that makes sense and I take control of this disease.

Reactions: 2 people

LynDoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
pre diabetes is between 42 and 47, these results are from the 3 month test which the doc does.
The meter results for pre are under 7.8, 2 hours after the start of a meal.

That's my understanding perhaps other more experienced members may like to comment on that.

GP's do not like pre s to use meters they think we will worry and make things worse. For me I want to take action to try and get my pre to normal if I can or at least stay within the pre range.

Over the last two years by prick testing I now know which foods I need to avoid, for me that makes sense and I take control of this disease.

Yes, Jeanie99 I would also like to get my BG back to normal.

I did eat a lot of sweets and biscuits around Christmas right up to March, so I guess that's what has put it back up. This time I am trying to cut out the carbs but I'm finding it very hard to do. I just can't do without potatoes. I have cut out bread, except for 1-2 slices a week.

Today I didn't feel very well, and after using my meter and seeing 7.4 I felt even worse. It could have been my me/cfs playing up.

nzmegs

With gallbladder problems - the key to eating fat is to spread it out over the day. Small amounts with every meal and not with carbs.

I know it is hard but you need to try going cold turkey with regards bread and potatoes. After a while you won't miss them.

Try mashed cauliflower, sweet potato (not often), squash, swede. great alternatives.

Also try a flaxseed bread - recipes are online.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used my new Accu-chek Aviva meter before breakfast today for the first time. The result was 7.4. But I'm still not sure if I have prediabetes or diabetes. What do you all think?

You can only be diagnosed if the test is done at the surgery with approved equipment so it is not possible to tell what your home meter indicates. This is because home meters have very baggy accuracy requirements and your meter (for example) could be reading high.

In the past two fasting readings of 7 or above would have resulted in a diagnosis of diabetes. Nowadays the Hba1c test is preferred and to be diagnosed as diabetic you have to have a result of 48 or above.

LynDoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With gallbladder problems - the key to eating fat is to spread it out over the day. Small amounts with every meal and not with carbs.

I know it is hard but you need to try going cold turkey with regards bread and potatoes. After a while you won't miss them.

Try mashed cauliflower, sweet potato (not often), squash, swede. great alternatives.

Also try a flaxseed bread - recipes are online.

No potatoes for me today, just a salad with cheese,egg, ect. I find that I just don't what to have for supper time. As for bread I do hope to cut it out completely. I have got it down from 1-2 slices a day, to 1-2 a week, so I'm getting there.

I will also look for the flaxseed bread recipe.

LynDoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can only be diagnosed if the test is done at the surgery with approved equipment so it is not possible to tell what your home meter indicates. This is because home meters have very baggy accuracy requirements and your meter (for example) could be reading high.

In the past two fasting readings of 7 or above would have resulted in a diagnosis of diabetes. Nowadays the Hba1c test is preferred and to be diagnosed as diabetic you have to have a result of 48 or above.
Yes, I do hope that my meter is reading high. Although I spoke to two friends today who each have the same meter and they say that both of theirs read low. After eight weeks not having cake, sweets, biscuits, fizzy drinks, and losing 10lbs I was expecting my reading to be lower. I'm going to the Drs next week to get it checked.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Home meters are notoriously inaccurate and it doesn't really matter whether it reads high or low, a doctor will not/cannot diagnose you with just a reading from a home meter.

Suzysuze1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Materialism
I'm currently diagnosed as prediabetic and my doctor also fobbed me off when I asked for test strips to go with the meter (I got it when I had gestational diabetes 3 years ago). In fairness I used to get a terrible panicky burst of adrenaline whenever I saw anything over 8 so I understand their thinking. It can't have helped my sugar levels.

LynDoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm currently diagnosed as prediabetic and my doctor also fobbed me off when I asked for test strips to go with the meter (I got it when I had gestational diabetes 3 years ago). In fairness I used to get a terrible panicky burst of adrenaline whenever I saw anything over 8 so I understand their thinking. It can't have helped my sugar levels.
I just don't know why mine has gone up from 5.9 and now 7.2. I didn't sleep very well last night due to a painful shoulder and wonder if that could be the reason. It sure made me panicky this morning. I'm going to start testing every morning to see how it goes.

Suzysuze1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Materialism
I just don't know why mine has gone up from 5.9 and now 7.2. I didn't sleep very well last night due to a painful shoulder and wonder if that could be the reason. It sure made me panicky this morning. I'm going to start testing every morning to see how it goes.

I notice that very gentle but sustained exercise makes me feel better within half an hour and panicky feeling goes away. basically I just walk around for a while outdoors, not too slow and not too fast.

LynDoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I notice that very gentle but sustained exercise makes me feel better within half an hour and panicky feeling goes away. basically I just walk around for a while outdoors, not too slow and not too fast.
Yes, walking is good for everyone that is able to do it. I used to walk a lot before I took ME/ CFS. Then spent 10 years as a wheelchair user. Now I just walk for around 15 minutes about once a week. I do miss those long 3 hour walks.

LynDoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually check my BG once a week as soon as I waken. But as yesterday's reading was up to 7.2 from last weeks 5.9 I thought that I would check it again before dinner and got a shock. It was 6.7 and 2 hours later 9.6.

My Dinner was 3ozs fresh peas, 3ozs fresh broad beads, I small potatoe, no meat.

Any ideas on what has happened here?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually check my BG once a week as soon as I waken. But as yesterday's reading was up to 7.2 from last weeks 5.9 I thought that I would check it again before dinner and got a shock. It was 6.7 and 2 hours later 9.6.

My Dinner was 3ozs fresh peas, 3ozs fresh broad beads, I small potatoe, no meat.

Any ideas on what has happened here?

I assume you mean broad beans? Lol. Beads wouldn't do you much good!

Firstly, your 6.7 before dinner was too high. Generally speaking, our levels before evening meal are usually the lowest of the day as insulin resistance improves gradually as the day goes on.

Secondly, peas and beans, let alone a small potato, can raise levels. Peas and pulses are quite heavy on the old carbs compared with some vegetables. Some people can manage them, others can't.

Having said that, the actual rise was just under 2mmol/l. Could be better, could be worse.

Did you eat anything between finishing your lunch and taking your before dinner reading that might have caused the 6.7?

LynDoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, beans.Lol

I only had a coffee between lunch and dinner, no food.

Peas seem to be alright for me as I've had tin peas a few times over these past 3 weeks when my BG was heading down.