pre diabetes

Tilly57

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi, first time in the forum, Tilly. I am a 57 year old female and my father, grandfather (type 1) and my great grandmother on dads side all had diabetes. 7 years ago, my son aged 22 was diagnosed as type one (he was in DKA).

A year ago I was suffering terribly with fatigue and after several blood tests was diagnosed with pre diabetes. (Hba1c 46) At this point it is fair to say that I had put an awful lot of weight on around my belly (35") and at my heaviest I was 8 stone 5lb, so not exactly overweight. I radically changed my diet and began regular exercise. A complete overall of my lifestyle.

I have lost 3lb in weight but my belly fat is still the same and I know that is a factor in developing into type 2. I am always hungry and have periods of a weird sort of exhaustion. The nurse in the GP surgery flatly refuses to help me with medication. Can anyone tell me when you are at the high end of pre-diabetes is medication an option?

Many thanks

Bobbiejay

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Mash potato
Hi, first time in the forum, Tilly. I am a 57 year old female and my father, grandfather (type 1) and my great grandmother on dads side all had diabetes. 7 years ago, my son aged 22 was diagnosed as type one (he was in DKA).

A year ago I was suffering terribly with fatigue and after several blood tests was diagnosed with pre diabetes. (Hba1c 46) At this point it is fair to say that I had put an awful lot of weight on around my belly (35") and at my heaviest I was 8 stone 5lb, so not exactly overweight. I radically changed my diet and began regular exercise. A complete overall of my lifestyle.

I have lost 3lb in weight but my belly fat is still the same and I know that is a factor in developing into type 2. I am always hungry and have periods of a weird sort of exhaustion. The nurse in the GP surgery flatly refuses to help me with medication. Can anyone tell me when you are at the high end of pre-diabetes is medication an option?

Many thanks
Why does the nurse not help you with medication? She's paid to help/advise her patients. If you are unsure about medication you should be able to get advice from your practice.

Tilly57

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Why does the nurse not help you with medication? She's paid to help/advise her patients. If you are unsure about medication you should be able to get advice from your practice.
  1. Hi Bobbiejay. Thanks for replying. I don't know why she won't help. She said she won't give me medicine for something I haven't got e.g. diabetes. I am pre diabetic, not diabetic. She suggested I see the GP to find out why I am always hungry and tired. She said the medication would have me hypoing all over the place. I am so confused, frustrated and depressed with it all. I am trying everything with no support. Sorry to be such a misery.

Bobbiejay

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Mash potato
  1. Hi Bobbiejay. Thanks for replying. I don't know why she won't help. She said she won't give me medicine for something I haven't got e.g. diabetes. I am pre diabetic, not diabetic. She suggested I see the GP to find out why I am always hungry and tired. She said the medication would have me hypoing all over the place. I am so confused, frustrated and depressed with it all. I am trying everything with no support. Sorry to be such a misery.
Take the nurses advise and see the GP. If you are confused, and low in mood, then you need to find someone who will give you clear advise that is obviously needed. Ask the GP to talk to you, or put you in touch with someone who can help. Could it be diet and exercise you need to look at, rather than medication? I spoke to my GP as I could be diabetic. She was really good. She told me to look at diet and exercise now, even if I turn out not to have any form of diabetes. I have to lose weight. I have a clear plan of action, before I have a clear cut diagnosis

Reactions: 2 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Tilly. While you're waiting to see your GP I'll ask @daisy1 to give you her great introduction to managing your condition (pre- or otherwise). It's quite a lot of reading but full of info which you may find comforting -- there are a lot of us just like you. Ask as many questions as you like.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Tilly57

Hello Tilly and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful to see what you can do now. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Tily it seems to me you have the classic "cant handle the carbs" issue I had for years without knowing. The more I ate the more I needed as it never filled me up and as it went on the more hungry I was and the fatter I became until disaster struck for me.

Why not try a low carb lifestyle for a month and see how your fatigue goes and your weight as I bet they will both reduce. There are many threads on here and a whole section dedicated to it. Basically cut out wheat products, potatoes, rice, pasta and replace the lost calories with fats.

Reactions: 4 people

Tilly57

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi Tily it seems to me you have the classic "cant handle the carbs" issue I had for years without knowing. The more I ate the more I needed as it never filled me up and as it went on the more hungry I was and the fatter I became until disaster struck for me.

Why not try a low carb lifestyle for a month and see how your fatigue goes and your weight as I bet they will both reduce. There are many threads on here and a whole section dedicated to it. Basically cut out wheat products, potatoes, rice, pasta and replace the lost calories with fats.

Thanks Andrew. Did a lot of research yesterday (low carb recipes) and I am going to try this. Anything to stop me wanting food all the time. 18 months ago I stopped smoking after 35 years and that was easier than this. Will keep you updated if that's ok?

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome. I was only diagnosed a couple of months ago and currently trying to lose some weight and change my diet so don't worry if this is what has been suggests for pre-diabetes. Might be worth asking for up to date blood tests but worth seeing your gp as they will know whether to check for anything else. Hope you are ok

Tilly57

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi and welcome. I was only diagnosed a couple of months ago and currently trying to lose some weight and change my diet so don't worry if this is what has been suggests for pre-diabetes. Might be worth asking for up to date blood tests but worth seeing your gp as they will know whether to check for anything else. Hope you are ok
Thanks Sue. It came as a bit of a shock even with my family history. I think I'm just trying to delay the inevitable type 2 and trying to do this is hard work and very confusing. I am trying low carbs the best I can and see how I go and considering buying a blood glucose monitor.

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Sue. It came as a bit of a shock even with my family history. I think I'm just trying to delay the inevitable type 2 and trying to do this is hard work and very confusing. I am trying low carbs the best I can and see how I go and considering buying a blood glucose monitor.
Could be a good idea to let you know what you're levels are, what foods affect you, and perhaps at this stage just to give you the peace of mind that your levels are still in the pre range. The SD Codefree is used by quite a few members as the strips aren't too expensive. I know that it is still hard to deal with, but pre or post we will be here for support. You need some time to process the news and find the changes which you want to make. It will be worth it.

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Tilly - I'm no expert, but I was diagnosed with prediabetes at the end of last year and immediately changed to LCHF. Like you, I'd been deeply exhausted and endlessly hungry. Since changing my diet I have tons of energy (more than I know what to do with sometimes!) and rarely have that gnawing, insatiable hunger I used to feel nearly all the time. And nowadays, if I get it, I have a high fat snack (full fat greek yogurt or some cheese) and it is quickly sorted. I'll soon be 57 too and I feel at least ten years younger, and better than I have for many years.
I know LCHF may not work for everyone, but it has worked wonders for me, so far, and I hope you get similar results xx

Reactions: 4 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Tilly welcome to the forum. My father and brother have pre-diabetes and I am a Type 2 diagnosed Feb "14 and I have managed to reverse it with LCHF.It is an enjoyable way to eat, you have boundless energy and never feel hungry. I remember the days of craving everything that was no good for me but not anymore. It would be better to kick Diabetes to the curb now rather than waiting to be diagnosed and it is definitely better than medication every day. Please keep us posted on your progress.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Many thanks
Hi Tilly and welcome. I think you got plenty of good advice, but I also think you should keep your mind open to the idea that you may not be developing Type 2. Even at 57, you may still be developing Type 1 or LADA. So keep a weather eye on your symptoms and if they develop, ask for tests to check WHICH form you have. Your medical history doesn't indicate Type 2, but Type 1.

Tilly57

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi Tilly - I'm no expert, but I was diagnosed with prediabetes at the end of last year and immediately changed to LCHF. Like you, I'd been deeply exhausted and endlessly hungry. Since changing my diet I have tons of energy (more than I know what to do with sometimes!) and rarely have that gnawing, insatiable hunger I used to feel nearly all the time. And nowadays, if I get it, I have a high fat snack (full fat greek yogurt or some cheese) and it is quickly sorted. I'll soon be 57 too and I feel at least ten years younger, and better than I have for many years.
I know LCHF may not work for everyone, but it has worked wonders for me, so far, and I hope you get similar results xx

Tilly57

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thank you all for the lowering my carb advice. I was at such loss with hunger and tiredness and with no help from the nurse feeling in despair if I am honest. For two weeks now I have seriously lowered my carb intake although I don't know if you would call it low carb. (how many carbs a day is low carb??). I do on occasion get a slump (overwhelming tiredness) but no way am I feeling so exhausted and I get some hunger but not ravenous shortly after a eating a meal (and most of the time in between) as I was. Still got a lot to learn but I am getting better. I struggle most with what I can eat when I am out and about. At home, no problem and in work I have prepared my food so no problem there - but what to eat otherwise?