Diabetes burnout/Depession?

steve595

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everybody, i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes over 3 yrs ago now, after further examinations i was also diagnosed with haemochromatosis, when i found out this was for life and i had to have blood removed every 14 days i was devastated. But i had a great doctor and she helped me cope with all the changes needed to put things back to normal. I changed my diet , did the hospital visits started cutting the carbs , blood tests etc etc, even excersise lol . I lost 4stone everything was going great, i then started going into some sort of denial, i started drinking lager again, the odd few pints, then i was thinking whats the harm anyway. now i dont even care.i think this is diabetic burnout, it feels more like depression , i dont even care if i get my toes amputated, IS THIS NORMAL ? its really getting me down, i,m usually quite happy , i was when i saw all the hard work was paying off , i feel like i,m going backwards , ive never been on this forum before, just wondering if anyone else has gone through this.....THANKS

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Reactions: 4 people

steve595

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: 4 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It happens to me every now and again but luckily it only lasts a couple of days at the most thankfully. It is such a personal journey and a hard one at the best of times. I wish you the best of luck in getting back on track. Have you discussed any of this with your Dr.

Reactions: 2 people

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum. Definitely worth speaking to your gp if it is possible you have depression. Hoping you feel better soon

steve595

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks for the replies, its the first time its really happened, so i,ll see how it goes, i,m sure i,ll be more positive soon, need to look up the old cookbook lol.

sarahh1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm new to all this (forums- not diabetes!)

I was diagnosed with T1 when I was 3 years old so have been diabetic for over 24 years now.

I've had problems over the years (since around 16yo) with testing blood sugars and injecting.... meaning I very rarely do either I'm ashamed to admit!

I think I may have been in denial for the last ten or so years, where i have refused to accept my diabetes and have denied any problems to my parents and doctors/nurses.

I finally came clean a couple of months ago, to my hubby first, then mum, then doctors (terrifying!!) and have had nothing but support from my family and my diabetes team at the hospital :) My GP prescribed me anti-depressants back in January, which I feel are finally starting to kick in properly!

I'm starting to get back in control of my diabetes, and am trying my very best to start injecting every meal time and to test my sugars at least twice a day (baby steps!).

My A1C in January was 13.1, and I am now down to 10.2. I know I have a long way to go, but I am happy with my current progress.

I was surprised to find this post here today, as I was feeling like I was the only person who struggles with these kinds of feelings.

I think what I want to say really is that it's encouranging to have this support, and I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Stay positive :)