Type 2 Is it just the heat or something more serious?

CeeCee59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have been having about a week of extremely hot weather (36 degrees C today) and I have noticed that every evening my legs and ankles become very swollen. Last night, my wrists and hands even had some swelling. I work in an air conditioned office all day, sittlng 98% of the time but haven't noticed any swelling while at work. Is it just the heat or something I need to be concerned about?

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also am curious about this. I've had problems with my feet swelling in the evening when it's warm for about 10 years.
By morning, the swelling is often gone.

I did see a doctor at the time. They did an ultrasound to see if there was adequate circulation, I believe. No problems were found.

Perhaps you should give your doctor a call to see if you should come in. Do let us know what you learn.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get the hot-weather-swelling too. Have done for years.
And I too find that sitting is the worst thing for it.
We don't have air con at work, so it gets hot and stuffy in the office. However, often that heat is year-round!

From the various things I have done to try and sort it, I have learned the following:
- my ankles swell a little in warm weather and a lot in hot weather
- my left ankle always swells worse than the right
- regular walking, moving around and stairs keep the swelling down. most of the time.
- sitting with my feet up (evenings) or lying in bed makes it go away (it is always gone by morning)
- the more I drink (and pee) the less they swell
- a mild diruetic that I took for a while for PCOS eliminates the problem completely - but I avoid all unnecessary drugs, so don't take it any more, since it wasn't working for the prescribed purpose

So now, when the temperature climbs, I drink twice as much pure, cold water.
this means I have to get up to pee VERY regularly
I use the office toilet at the far end of the building
I walk to and from work (pity to waste the good hot weather, eh?)
and now my legs only swell if I am stuck in meetings, or unable to move around.

I have also learned that 'avoiding salt' that mantra people use to prevent water retention... well it is not a good idea for my body.
If I don't have salt, potassium and magnesium, esp in hot weather, I get night time cramps, feel lethargic, heavy limbed and generally awful. So I eat more of them in hot weather. Works like a charm.