Breakfast Ideas

babyflowers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if anyone has any good ideas for easy breakfast ideas.......I have been having a bowl of cereal with 1% milk upto now but have recently been advised i have prediabetes. I don't have time to cook eggs etc and realise i can't have fruit/fruit smoothies/bread etc so wondered if there are any cereals that are ok? Also, i keep reading coffee is best with cream but not milk, not sure why?! I am also trying to lose weight so don't want to have cream, am happy to have black coffee if milk is bad but that may be no better!

Any advice on breakfast ideas that are quick and easy would be much appreciated. Thank you

mikeyg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder if anyone has any good ideas for easy breakfast ideas.......I have been having a bowl of cereal with 1% milk upto now but have recently been advised i have prediabetes. I don't have time to cook eggs etc and realise i can't have fruit/fruit smoothies/bread etc so wondered if there are any cereals that are ok? Also, i keep reading coffee is best with cream but not milk, not sure why?! I am also trying to lose weight so don't want to have cream, am happy to have black coffee if milk is bad but that may be no better!

Any advice on breakfast ideas that are quick and easy would be much appreciated. Thank you

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My partner does salmon and eggs posh I know! But he does them scrambled in the microwave three minutes stick salmon in a container and he is off

mikeyg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can very easily microwave eggs, I make an omlette by cracking an egg, adding milk, wisk it, and put it in a special container I got it on Amazon for a couple of quid, rub it with butter to stop it sticking, 90 seconds in the microwave. Or microwave bacon. The reason they advise to avoid low fat milk is that often they contain sugar to make up for the lack of cream

babyflowers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, was also trying to avoid eggs as i know my small children will then want the same and as we are always in a rush for school this isn't possible! Have just looked up the milk, you are right, far more carbs than in cream. Perhaps should stick to black coffee, but then will get told i'm lacking in calcium, not sure how to win with all this!

LilySmith

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having a healthy way of life, not being 18 years old any more...
I prefer black coffee for breakfast, and what about calcium there are some special vitamins that can provide you with it much better than milk or any other product. By the way did you know there's plenty of calcium in sesame.

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi Babyflowers,

It will all depend on what kind of eating style do you want to follow to lose weight.

A lot of people in the forum eats a low carb diet (some high fat) and therefore they are able to consume more fat, we don't care much about the fats, but about the carbs in food.

I don't like cream in my coffee and instead I use Lactofree which has less carbs than normal milk, to me, it doesn't taste at all any different than normal milk. You could also try almond milk. I have coffee every morning.

If you want to follow a low carb eating style you can go to the low carb diet section of the forum and you will find lots of examples of the kind of food we eat during the day and the snacks we use.

As a long term pre diabetic and insulin resistant person, low carb eating was the only way I managed to lose weight before and is my prefered eating style, as it helps to keep my BG in non diabetic range.

Depending on how much weight you have to lose you might not have to go too low in carbs. I had always had to go very very low carb to see significant weight loss.

Some ideas for low carb breakfasts:

Finn crackers (very low in carbs high in fiber) with cream cheese and ham (no cooking involved) or any high protein topping you like
Almond flour pancakes with sour cream and smoked salmon (make pancakes in advanced) (as in my picture)
1 min flaxseed bun sandwich with goats cheese and ham (As in my picture)
Crustless quiche made in advanced
Greek yogurt with berries, chia seeds, flax seeds and nuts (what I had today),
There is a new Lidl high protein roll that people is raving about although I personally wouldn't use it for weight loss purposes but it might work for you.
Boiled eggs

I understand the issues with your children but they might need to get used to mum eating slightly different to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I'm strapped for time in the morning I boil a couple of eggs the night before, mix with home made mayo and chives in a small tub. plus a couple of slices of cold meat.
Home made scotch eggs (mince your own pork to avoid the grain binders)
Home made Paleo bread - made from Almond & coconut flour is a good base for meats or on its own.
I do make myself a fruit smoothie about 3 x times a week with berries, full fat milk and a dollop of full fat. bio active greek yoghurt - providing I'm doing something active straight afterwards to counteract the spike.

Here are some Paleo breakfast recipes http://paleogrubs.com/breakfast-recipes most of them are diabetic friendly, just watch out for when they are adding honey, bananas and syrup. A very good alternative to the honey and syrups a totally natural sweetener is Sweetleaf Stevia drops. Paleo avoids dairy - pick and mix these recipes to include milk if that is a more favourable for you. There are also some great recipes posted on this site.
Once you get going, you will become savvy in stealing recipes tailor making them into what you can happily live on - good luck

babyflowers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for your suggestions, I will give this a go, unfortunately I want to loose about 30kgs hence trying to keep low cal too - its tricky, over the last 10 days i have modified my diet hugely and not had any bread/pasta/rice/potatoes etc and only lost 1lb....not sure how this could be the case, very demotivating....I thought at the beginning it was supposed to fall off!!

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for your suggestions, I will give this a go, unfortunately I want to loose about 30kgs hence trying to keep low cal too - its tricky, over the last 10 days i have modified my diet hugely and not had any bread/pasta/rice/potatoes etc and only lost 1lb....not sure how this could be the case, very demotivating....I thought at the beginning it was supposed to fall off!!

Hi there,

For losing weight while low carbing, in my personal experience, eating fat helps while keeping carbs really really low. Fat doesn't make people fat... carbs do.

Read the forum around and you will see that people who reduces carbs do indeed eat fat and lose weight.

I only lose weight when I go below >30grms of carbs a day, some people tolerate more, but I don't. So you might have to go even lower than where you are now. There is hidden sugar in pretty much everything as well so maybe if you kept a diary of what are you eating you could see where you can make adjustments.

Having said that, some people lose weight faster than others. Also, some medicines can interfere as well (like antidepressants for example).

Have you checked the parts of the forum related to low carb diets? There is lots of info about it there.

Last edited by a moderator:

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

When you do low carb... you don't count calories normally. You count carbs. Olive oil, butter, avocado, nuts, cream and cheeses are all accepted.

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I completed a 60 day low carb, higher fat diet while also restricting calories to 500 - 600 a day. I was trying out the Newcastle study, it worked! I brought my morning reading down from 11's to the 5's in the first 3 weeks and lost 2st at the end. Due to the extremity, having to weigh food to calculate the calorie consumption. Avacado was out having to carefully research foods and their nutritional contents. There are times where my morning Blood sugar will wander into the 6's when I am feeling unwell or if it's that time of the month.
The first lbs to drop off, I did put this down to shedding some water retention. Are you drinking enough water with your diet? I down about 5 pints a day on top of my cups of tea.
There are sites that can calculate the nutritional value and calories of your recipes while tracking your progress. I use SparkPeople, myfitnesspal along with a phone app called Water your body, that reminds me to have a glass of water.

If you let us know what your daily calorie target is, what foods you have been eating for the last 10 days and water consumption perhaps, we could help identify the gremlins that are blocking your progress.