Fasting for blood tests?

linda321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you really need to fast for blood tests? Which test, hb1ac or cholesterol?

I ask because my consultant told me that he doesn't like diabetics to fast, but my nurse has requested a fasting test this time. Also, my friend's husband had a fasting blood test - but he ate his cereal for breakfast! He has been told he has mild diabetes. I don't think eating cereal will make any difference to hb1ac, as it is an average isn't it?

Confused!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
There is no need to fast for an HbA1c test. They used to do fasting glucose tests but where I live they don't bother anymore, preferring the HbA1c.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends on whether it is a full blood test for other things as well as BG like kidney and liver function. I have a yearly test and am always told to fast for 12 hours before it

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It isn't necessary to fast for an HbA1c test. However, if the blood tests include a fasting glucose test, then clearly it is necessary. Also, if it includes a full lipid/cholesterol profile, then it is best to fast because food can affect the results. I always fast before mine, even though I am not told to.

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HbA1c is basically how many red blood cells have sugar stuck to them, so is an average and won't be affected by fasting or not fasting to my knowledge.

At my last check up 2 months ago I was told that fasting was no longer required, but that this was only recent change. At the time I didn't push for more information as I was thinking more about my breakfast.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The HBa1c has itself never been fasting but some of the other tests are. The fasting blood test is a waste of time and this was one reason for doing fasting previously. If you want the most reliable cholesterol check then fasting is better.