Hi I'm finally here

Kimmy22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi in newly diagnosed type 2 I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago and put on gliclazine and metformin I'm also trying to lose weight and cut out all the good things lil fizzy juice and sugary treats but still I'm putting on weight also my sugars are a bit erratic if anyone has advice I'd love to hear it I'm hoping all settles down soon

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello kimmy22, big welcome to the forum,i'll tag @daisy1 who will give you the intro advices for new posters, have a good read and come back with any q's you like,clive

Last edited by a moderator:

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum, you are in the right place to get yourself on track. It can take a bit of time to get your head around everything and for your BS to settle down. If you have any questions dont be afraid to ask, we are a helpful bunch. What do you generally eat in a day, as you might be consuming too many carbs which will affect your BS.

Kimmy22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Going by yesterday I had a small bowl porridge for brekkie a half mug of soup and a seeded roll on ham and tomatoe for lunch dinner frozen fish and veg that was all but my sugars were 11.9 so I'm not sure what upped the sugars do bad

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi kimmy,

When are you testing? And how often?

Have a look at Daisy's info when she posts it. It is a great starter guide for eating.

Perhaps have a good wander round the forum and then ask any questions you like. :)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Welcome @Kimmy22 :)

It's carbohydrates you need to avoid as much as possible, not just sugars. Carbs metabolise quickly in the system to sugar, some a bit slower than others, but basically we should treat them the same.

Kimmy22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone for the welcome and advice and for the links to read

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome from me.
Some good advice above.
If you test before a meal you also need to test 2 hours after your first bite. It is this that will tell you what that meal has done to your levels. The rise from before to after should be as minimal as possible. Anything above 2mmol/l (preferably less than 1.5mmol/l) means you need to tweak that meal by reducing the amount of carbs (not just sugar). We also need to be careful with milk and fruit as these also contain a lot of sugar.
Bread, cereals, rice, pasta and potatoes are the worst culprits I'm sad to say.
Have a good read round and ask questions.

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Two hours after the first bite! Didn,t know that thought it was the last bite ,iwill have to start again
Thanks for that

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Two hours after the first bite! Didn,t know that thought it was the last bite ,iwill have to start again
Thanks for that

Yes, it is first bite. That is when your food begins to digest. They do say some foods release glucose the second it hits your tongue! It can sometimes be difficult to judge exactly when to test, for example if you are having more than one course at the meal with perhaps a rest between courses. I do know some people test 2 hours after they finish eating, and probably as long as we are consistent and only looking for trends, it doesn't matter too much.

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that ,this is a great forum, how would I manage without it ,simply ,I would not

Reactions: 4 people