Newly diagnosed diabetes type 1

wally78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - was diagnosed as being Diabetes type 1 two months ago - came as a complete shock. My main problem is I don't like food(!!??) so struggling with eating carbs. This sends my ketones high and have ended up in hospital a few times because of this. Getting a bit depressed now as I thought after 9 weeks I would be feeling a lot better. I've also been told I'm anaemic! Please tell me it will get better soon

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome, wally78 :)

Yes, it does get better. It took me some months to really get to grip with diabetes (I have Type 1). It's a huge lifestyle change.

Have you seen a dietician? When I was diagnosed I saw one and she helped me fit diabetes into what I liked to eat.

How are you finding your blood sugars at the moment? It does take a while to get them under control.

I'll tag @daisy1 and she can provide some info about diabetes for you

Reactions: 3 people

wally78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Usually below 10 which I've been told is good tho were below 3 at the weekend and ketones went to 3.7 and didn't come down for two days. Usually a positive person but am feeling so down at the moment. Seen a dietician who is really nice but don't think she gets that I don't like food!!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry you're feeling down. It's completely normal. I felt a mix of depressed and angry when I was diagnosed and for months afterwards.

Are you carb counting? Do you really not like any food at all? Or are you just finding it hard fitting what you like into your diet?

It sounds like you're doing a good job with your blood sugars. Have your doctors given you any help or advice about the ketones?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. When you say you don't like eating carbs did someone tell you to have plentry of carbs; I hope not? So, you only need to have very few carbs really just to give you fibre and other nutrients. Apart from that you need some protein, fats, veg and fruit. Hopefully you can find something in that last group that works for you. Always use the meter to ensure you don't over do the insulin and have a hypo.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@wally78

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

As you can see, there is lots of support for you from other members. Things will get better soon as you get used to it and learn more about it. Here is the information we give to new members and I hope this will help you. Carry on asking questions and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

wally78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My dietician said I should eat lots of bread/pasta/potatoes etc - think it's because I'm newly diagnosed. Did ask about the daphne course but won't get put on that for at least a year.

I do struggle with eating but am trying my hardest at the moment to keep my bsl's down tho not sure how long that will last.

Use a bsl metre 3 times a day - hate it

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You don't need to eat "a lot" of carbs, but if you've been given set doses of insulin to take you may need to eat enough to make sure your blood sugar doesn't go low. A year seems a long time to wait for a DAFNE course. Is there any way you can get some other carb counting advice? I got mine plus a booklet from my dietician.

Counting carbs allows you to have more choice about what you eat, so it's something to aim at, if you'd like that.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My dietician said I should eat lots of bread/pasta/potatoes etc - think it's because I'm newly diagnosed. Did ask about the daphne course but won't get put on that for at least a year.

I do struggle with eating but am trying my hardest at the moment to keep my bsl's down tho not sure how long that will last.

Use a bsl metre 3 times a day - hate it
Sounds like a typical NHS dietician; many don't have a clue and are just plain stupid. Yes, just match your insulin to the lower carbs you should be having. If you have been given a fixed insulin dose then that will need to be gradually reduced as you gradually reduce the carbs. Seek assistance from the DN or GP if needed but not the dietician. If you are on carb-counting then just adjust for meals as usual

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The idea of MDI injections or a pump is that you can basically eat what you want... (But you have to learn how to adjust your insulin to what you are eating).

I eat very small amount of food and carbs. One meal a day.

Is this iron anaemia or b12 pernicious anaemia?

It is vital to get a vitamin and mineral balance with the foods you eat.

Perhaps you could give us a list of foods that you like to eat.

Not sure what insulin you are using but if its a mixed dose you would have to eat regularly and at set times etc. If it is basal /bolus then you can manage when trained to eat what you want, when you want and you will be confidant at altering your doses .....

My DSN doesn't care what I eat carb wise or my consultant. They don't care that I only eat once a day.. They just want me to have good levels eating what I want with correct value of vitamins and minerals. Also enough calories that I maintain my health as it is.. Lean and fit.

wally78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Use lantus once a day - set at 10 at the moment. Was a grazer when came to eating - very small amounts but lots through the day. Now been told to stick to three meals a day and finding it hard. Wetabix for breakfast and dinner, cheese and crackers for lunch.

wally78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's my choice as the only food I can keep down at the moment

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Wally and welcome to the forum :)

Are you just using a basal insulin (lantus) or are you also injecting prior to eating?

As azure says earlier in the thread on a basal/bolus insulin regime you can adjust your insulin to the amount of food you eat, so you can vary your meal sizes, to give you an idea on what carb counting involves have a look at the following, it's an on-line version of the DAFNE course:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

wally78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just using once a day - will read that as I need to get a handle on this!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just using once a day - will read that as I need to get a handle on this!

You need to be on a bolus dose before meals if your bg is high and your showing ketones, speak with your DSN in the morning.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You say you're testing 3 times a day. Is that before meals? If you're getting ketones, it could be that your blood sugar is going high after meals unknown to you. Mine did this when I was first diagnosed and I didn't realise because I was only testing before meals.

If you test 2 hours after eating then you can check this. It'll also be useful info for your doctor if they're considering changing your insulin regime.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As other posters have said, the Basal/Bolus regime is the best insulin regime for control. It does involve two insulins and between 3-5 injections per day (I normally have 2 meal-time bolus and one Basal). Some people don't want to cope with more than 1 or 2 injections per day but many want the best control. Most T1s will be put on the Basal/Bolus regime but just Basal may be OK to start with. My DN put me onto just Basal but within a month added the Bolus insulin as I was spiking too much. You may find reducing the carbs reduces the spikes enough to stay with just Basal; see how it goes.

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
Hi - was diagnosed as being Diabetes type 1 two months ago - came as a complete shock. My main problem is I don't like food(!!??) so struggling with eating carbs. This sends my ketones high and have ended up in hospital a few times because of this. Getting a bit depressed now as I thought after 9 weeks I would be feeling a lot better. I've also been told I'm anaemic! Please tell me it will get better soon

:) I was diagnosed type 1 over a month ago so I know what your going through right about now,I have made an appointment for bloods to be taken as I'm positive that I'm b12 deficient as I've 3 sisters that have to have the b12 jab regular.

But yeah my diabetic nurse was talking about me over testing and she saying that i didn't need to do it so often due to knowing the signs of highs and lows,but I explained to her that even when at normal levels I feel drained and have done for a while now,so I'm positive that I'm anemic.:)

jimmymunn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed type 1.5 three weeks ago and i'm finding the diet a struggle too. You're not alone in this regard and thats why forums like this are really helpful.
I take 12 units of Lantus before bed and i was told to take 4 units of NovoRapid before each meal. I've varied the NovoRapid amount depending on my meal choice which is very difficult to get the hang of but at least it stops my readings varying hugely.
For breakfast i eat porridge from Eat with an apple and take 5-6 units of Novorapid. I snack on cuts of meat, mini baby-bells and nuts.
For lunch i eat anything from a normal sandwich to a healthy salad with more meat added.
Dinner is normal although i've changed to eating healthier since i was diagnosed. More veg basically and no more pizza sums it up nicely. If i'm hungry i just pile on more veg or have two chicken breasts or salmon fillets instead of the one.
If anyone is telling you to eat more pasta and pizza then ignore them as they dont know what they're talking about.
Sorry i cant help more but i'm going through the learning process with you here.

russyrussruss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

Thanks for the support messages, they are appreciated

Update

I was concerned that my BG levels weren't down to the 'norm' range, but I had a call from the nurse yesterday who explained that this is normal, and it takes a while

Created the attached chart which demonstrates its definitely heading in the right direction.

I'm not finding the diet/carb counting too bad, it is a change of routine as I rarely had breakfast or dinner, now I am forcing myself to have them

I've spent this week working from home, so I can get my head round all this, I travel extensively through work (UK) but the acid test will be making it work in real life with hotel meals etc..

Thank for reading

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1438334785.897367.jpg