Coming Off Meds

sshaw99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HI All,

after my last consultation and set of bloods I have reduced my hba1c down to 40 which is just into the normal non-diabetic range.
All other results such as lipid breakdown, kidney function etc are normal. Due to the progress I have made with my bg coupled with my weight loss the nurse and my GP have said that if I am stable at 40 of less at my next test in Oct then they are thinking of reducing my metformin down to 1 500mg tablet per day or even taking me off them altogether!.
As you can imagine this was a pleasant surprise and gives me extra motivation to work towards!

Here's hoping!

Steve

Reactions: 8 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Sounds good. That's the way to do it; get your levels back to normal for a period of time and then go off the meds. Better than just not taking them from the start, IMO.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congrats on your achievement, my last Hb test was 34 so I know how great the feeling is, people must have thought I was nuts because I was walking around with such a big smile on my face. Here's hoping all is well at your next test in Oct. Please keep us informed.

Reactions: 2 people

Bewildered

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fantastic result, and sounds like a good plan. I got my result down to 42 this month, from 88. I think I might have to reduce the metformin before my next test as I have had a few hypos, 3.5, 3.8 etc.
how have you achieved this change? Have you lost weight too?

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I have tried to follow LCHF the best I can as I believe that what matters is how you are eating most of the time as Im not really strict and focussed like others are. Ive had quite a few blow outs along the way but my BS has adjusted well. I found I can tolerate chocolate really well now. Yay, and Ive lost 29kgs so far.

Reactions: 4 people