GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Hi,
I'm newly diagnosed Type 2 (since end of May) and I'm on Metformin - I won't bore you with details but I've been on a keto diet for two weeks and feeling a lot better with stable energy levels and BG down into the normal range - 4.5 to 5.5. So I went back to the gym this morning for the first time in ages. I took it fairly easy - a few sets of barbell squats, bench press, tricep dips & assisted pullups plus some warmdown cardio with a kettlebell. I like to lift in 5 rep sets.

My BG an hour afterwards was up to 7.4 from 4.8 fasting. I know that's not much in the grand scheme of things (and I'm very glad that my diabetes has been caught early), but I'd like to know what I should expect. Is this a problem? Will this knock me out of ketosis? Should I eat before training to miigate?

I hadn't eaten breakfast before training and I've had a few sausages since.

I'm fairly clueless about diabetes & exercise, so please don't hesitate to make the most obvious comment.

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any response.

Reactions: 4 people

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Looks like your friendly liver helped you through your exercise session with a shot of glucose. I find that anything that gets my heart pumping will raise my levels, only a gentle walk brings them down.

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I'm newly diagnosed Type 2 (since end of May) and I'm on Metformin - I won't bore you with details but I've been on a keto diet for two weeks and feeling a lot better with stable energy levels and BG down into the normal range - 4.5 to 5.5. So I went back to the gym this morning for the first time in ages. I took it fairly easy - a few sets of barbell squats, bench press, tricep dips & assisted pullups plus some warmdown cardio with a kettlebell. I like to lift in 5 rep sets.

My BG an hour afterwards was up to 7.4 from 4.8 fasting. I know that's not much in the grand scheme of things (and I'm very glad that my diabetes has been caught early), but I'd like to know what I should expect. Is this a problem? Will this knock me out of ketosis? Should I eat before training to miigate?

I hadn't eaten breakfast before training and I've had a few sausages since.

I'm fairly clueless about diabetes & exercise, so please don't hesitate to make the most obvious comment.

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any response.
Hola

Good for you @GeoffersTaylor and ask away. There's no such thing g as a stupid question on this forum.

Nope doesn't sound like a problem to me. Keto and exercise perfect combo for t2 diabetes.

The higher blood reading after the exercise will not knock you out of ketosis. In fact what you have done will push you into deeper ketosis. It's called depletion exercise so if you are fully keto adapted you used body fat rather than dietary fat for energy. Bonus.

Gentle exercise will lower your bloods - fast walking jogging and you will see a long slow decline. Vigorous exercise will first push your bloods up but just as they spike up they will spike down shortly so it may well be a good thing to test again shortly especially since your on the metfartin.

How are you checking your ketone levels?

Reactions: 6 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Checking ketone levels? I didn't know you could. That's obviously passed me by. How's it done?

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Checking ketone levels? I didn't know you could. That's obviously passed me by. How's it done?
In it's simplest form with ketostix which you pee on. You can get a device that measures ketones from breath. Or the most accurate but more expensive blood ketone meter such as the optimum neo.

Reactions: 2 people